TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
SixthAve

What do I reply when Charter Cable repair rep blames TiVo?

Here is what I have:
  • TiVo Premiere - Motorola M Card, Motorola Tuning Adapter: missing channels, pixelated picture on HD channels
  • Tivo HD - Motorola M Card, Motorola Tuning Adapter: missing all digital channels
  • TiVo HD XL - Motorola M Card, Motorola Tuning Adapter: Missing several HD channels (although I had them a week ago)

I have Charter Cable in Knoxville, TN and have had them out at least four times trying to resolve these painful issues. I always get the shrugged-shoulders look followed by "I don't have a lot of experience with TiVo boxes ..." followed by "everything looks fine on Charter's end, it must be your Tivo".

I am to the point of dropping cable & TiVo, and had an installation appointment for DirecTV, but didn't have a clear line of site, so satellite is not an option.

What answer do I give for when I'm stuck in the middle of "it's not us, it's them."
SixthAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
sharkster

Hey! I also have Charter, but in a different part of the country.

Did they/you try re-pairing the cards? Or even maybe switching them out for new ones? Or maybe it's something in the tuning adapter?

Kinda tough when you get somebody who doesn't know how these things work. Where I've been lucky with Charter is managing to find a cable tech who also has Tivo and knows personally about the equipment. I think there is a certain amount of knowledge necessary, on their part, or they will never get anywhere.

I hope it can get resolved, but it needs to start with somebody who knows what they are doing, specific to the whole Tivo/TA/Card thing.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I can only co-miserate. My cable company actually leases Premieres to its customers and they still have trouble getting a CableCard paired. I've had to swap CableCards several times to get one that "likes" a Tivo. I've also found that to get it paired properly, the Telephone CS needs to copy the card serial number, the Host ID, and the Data ID. If they don't enter all three into their system it won't pair. Maybe Charter is different but that's what I've found to work.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
HomeUser

I suspect poor signal quality.

Arm yourself with data before the Tech gets arrives Troubleshooting digital cable signals on HD TiVo boxes