TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
moon_tower

Wow-changed from wireless adapter to powerline internet, much faster

I've always had some issues with Netflix and Tivo Transfer with my two Series 3 Tivos. The Netflix would lock up sometimes or the online menus on the Tivo would be slow. I've considered using a powerline system, but they were kind of expensive.

I bought the Actiontec Plug Av 200 Mbps adapter kit, and I am amazed. It was $50 on Amazon, but it is worth the extra speed without having to run internet cable throughout my house. I wish I had done this sooner. I know they don't work for everyone, but they worked for me right out of the box.

I could never watch a program right away that was transferring from another Tivo, but I can now. The amazing thing is only one of my Tivos is hooked up to the powerline; the other uses wireless still. I'll probably get an adapter for that one as well.
moon_tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Captain Spaulding

Yes, I've found that powerline adapters work much better than wireless connections on many different kinds of networked hardware. I'm using the old 85 Mbps adapters and they do fine.
Captain Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_tower View Post
I've always had some issues with Netflix and Tivo Transfer with my two Series 3 Tivos. The Netflix would lock up sometimes or the online menus on the Tivo would be slow. I've considered using a powerline system, but they were kind of expensive.

I bought the Actiontec Plug Av 200 Mbps adapter kit, and I am amazed. It was $50 on Amazon, but it is worth the extra speed without having to run internet cable throughout my house. I wish I had done this sooner. I know they don't work for everyone, but they worked for me right out of the box.

I could never watch a program right away that was transferring from another Tivo, but I can now. The amazing thing is only one of my Tivos is hooked up to the powerline; the other uses wireless still. I'll probably get an adapter for that one as well.

Did you ever compare wireless to Ethernet cable straight from the back of that TiVo to a jack on the router?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
moon_tower

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did you ever compare wireless to Ethernet cable straight from the back of that TiVo to a jack on the router?
My router is a pretty good distance from my TiVo, so in short, no. I considered running the cable, but it would have required another hole in my wall or floor. I was looking for the easy solution.
moon_tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_tower View Post
My router is a pretty good distance from my TiVo, so in short, no. I considered running the cable, but it would have required another hole in my wall or floor. I was looking for the easy solution.
I thought you might have set the TiVo up in the same room as the router just long enough to test it wired for comparison's sake.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Powerline

I too went from wireless to Powerline (WD) and it a tremendous difference. My router is a floor directly above one of my S4s and two rooms off to the side and below the other and the transfer speed was extremely slow from one to the other as well as with my computer. I bought two units, four boxes, to hook up my two tivos and two computers. Each box has four outlets and I used two on one and one on each of the others. The speed on everything jumped to close to wired speed. The Tivos see them as a wired connection, although I don't think that makes a difference. I would recommend Powerline, for me Western Digital, to anyone having transfer issues through wireless.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

I have gone from Wireless to powerline to MoCa and WOW I can now watch my transfer without waiting. So far for me MoCa was the best way to go.
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote