TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #61
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
Gamers do not use macs!
I think that is perhaps the best advertisement I have ever heard for purchasing a Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I used redhat fedroa linux for about a year
Hmm, yeah. I don't really care much for Fedora, although all things considered I prefer it to Ubuntu. I've never found anything I prefer overall to Debian.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #62
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
So exactly how much guide data do you need?
Up to a point, the more the better. It means having to mess with managing recording that much less frequently. With 12 days of data, I only have to deal with recording management once every 10 days or so. If I had access to a month's worth, I would only need to browse the data once a month, and the fact is the data for a month is only a little bit more voluminous to the user than that for 12 days.

Quote:
While it's nice to be able to set up recordings days or even weeks in advance
Or years, but that doesn't require guide data. Quite a fair percentage of the programs my TiVos record were set up years ago.

Quote:
as long as the guide data is present on the day a program airs, season passes will pick them up and record them automatically.
What is it with you and season passes? I only have a handful, and some of those are defunct. If the season pass capability were to be eliminated, I would only be very mildly annoyed, and hardly inconvenienced at all.

Quote:
My point was that I never missed a recording due to lack of guide data.
Well, me, either.

Quote:
I only record single shows on an occasional basis and have season passes set up for 99% of my recordings.
Fewer than 5% of the shows recorded by my TiVos are even eligible for a season pass, and most of those are recorded via Suggestions, not a Season Pass.

Quote:
HTPCs are a hobby, not an appliance.
So is a TiVo, if one wishes to make full use of it, albeit a transient one once one has the TiVo set up.

Quote:
If you want a security blanket, get a Tivo. If you like to tinker and enjoy the satisfaction of building something yourself
You didn't build it, you just assembled it. 'Not that there is something amiss in being satisfied at assembling something, but it is not the same as building it.

Quote:
It's up to the individual to decide what's important to them.
Yes, and what is important to me is not supporting the @#%@%^^^% in Redmond, or bending over for the #$^#$^^& in Hollywood, or promoting closed source programming, or going to the trouble to build a video library only to have it evaporate when - not if, WHEN - a card fails or a re-install of the OS becomes necessary.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-03-2012 at 02:02 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote