TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
aindik

Comcast Deleting Secondary Premium Channels

Remember how cool it was when digital cable first came out, and you got like 10 different channels each of HBO and Showtime?

Well, apparently Comcast thinks that's over. In our market (and I think this is a national trend), the four premium packages will include a) 4 channels of HBO (main, main west, 2, and signature), b) 2 channels of Cinemax, c) only the main channel of Showtime, and d) only the main channel of Starz. This is effective August 23.

Of course, the packages will still include the On Demand libraries from these services. I guess Comcast thinks that people will still pay $15-$20 / month just for the VOD access and the main channel, and they can free up bandwidth for something else.

TiVo needs to get me XFinity On Demand access soon.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
rifleman69

What they need to do is get rid of the West feeds of channels, that's one channel that's literally a waste.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I like having both west and easy coast feeds for HBO & the like. There have been many times I've found a show in progress and been able to set it to record just an hour or two later on the west coast channel.

No sign of Verizon doing the same as Comcast.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
aindik

I should add that I'm not sure if Comcast is getting rid of the SD versions of these channels. It is definitely getting rid of the HD versions.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
zalusky

We got a postcard talking about it and they seem to indicate they are replacing the channels with sports channels. I guess now that onDemand is available to Tivos they are restarting their equivalent of tuning adapter nonsense again.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

onDemand is available to TiVos? Is this a Comcast thing or a new model TiVo thing?

meh
Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
onDemand is available to TiVos? Is this a Comcast thing or a new model TiVo thing?
Comcast XFinity On Demand is available on TiVos in two markets only: Boston and San Francisco (and surrounding areas). Supposedly a nationwide rollout is coming, but we know how that goes.

TiVo Premiere and newer, only.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

Slightly off topic but was COMCAST going to change their name to XFINITY at one point but decided to back off?

Cuz no one I know seems to have a clue what 'XFINITY' really is when it comes to them. It is not any service as far as i can tell and it is as of now not a company name change.

As of now it reminds me of those cheesy 80's infomercials that proclaim "space age technology' in their product.
2 R10's- GONE
2 COMCAST HD TiVo DVR's. SofaKing slow.
Snappa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
rifleman69

Quote:
I like having both west and easy coast feeds for HBO & the like. There have been many times I've found a show in progress and been able to set it to record just an hour or two later on the west coast channel.

But more than likely it's also on just a few hours later again on the eastern channel.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
But more than likely it's also on just a few hours later again on the eastern channel.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but it's on for sure in a couple hours on the west coast feed.

What's the harm in keeping all the channels? It's not like they're running out of numbers.

meh
Old 07-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
We got a postcard talking about it and they seem to indicate they are replacing the channels with sports channels. I guess now that onDemand is available to Tivos they are restarting their equivalent of tuning adapter nonsense again.
The Pac-12 Network is starting up August 15, and it will include a national network, plus six regional networks to represent the six different regions in the Pac-12 (Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Southern California, Arizona, Moutain). I wonder if Comcast is making room in their bandwidth to offer not only the national feed, but also the regional feeds.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
aindik

Quote:
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but it's on for sure in a couple hours on the west coast feed.

What's the harm in keeping all the channels? It's not like they're running out of numbers.
Stated motivation: To recover bandwidth

Conspiracy theory motivation: To drive people to VOD. Why do they care about that? I think that's either consumer lock-in/churn reduction, or it drives more equipment rentals. Or perhaps both.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I have comcast and have never had the HD versions of the secondary channels. I get all the SD versions

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The Pac-12 Network is starting up August 15, and it will include a national network, plus six regional networks to represent the six different regions in the Pac-12 (Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Southern California, Arizona, Moutain). I wonder if Comcast is making room in their bandwidth to offer not only the national feed, but also the regional feeds.
I don't have the card anymore but that sounds like it might be right!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Whew, thanks again to my overlords at Verizon FiOS for keeping most of these extra channels in the bundle for me.

That doesn't mean that my day isn't coming More than likely they'll eventually pull the same crap that Comcast is doing here, with a similar excuse. Hopefully by then I'll have more video on demand options available to me as well.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #16
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I have comcast and have never had the HD versions of the secondary channels. I get all the SD versions
The only HBO channels I get in HD are HBO, HBO2, and HBO Zone. The others (HBO Comedy, HBO Family, HBO Latin, and HBO Signature) are in SD only.

Xfinity VOD in the Boston market? I wonder if that includes me...

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
aindik

They added the other HBO channels in HD fairly recently here in Philly. I'm thinking maybe a year ago.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #18
rrrobinsonjr

OP, please link your source. I can't find any verification of your information.
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #19
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrobinsonjr View Post
OP, please link your source. I can't find any verification of your information.
My source is a piece of paper I got in the mail from Comcast.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #20
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
My source is a piece of paper I got in the mail from Comcast.
Please scan and post here.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrobinsonjr View Post
Please scan and post here.
When I get home tonight I'll check to see if I still have it. If I do, I'll take a picture of it with my phone and post it.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
When I get home tonight I'll check to see if I still have it. If I do, I'll take a picture of it with my phone and post it.
Thanks!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
mlsnyc

I was worried this was a trend so I checked if there was any chatter about TWC or other providers doing the same thing. So far Comcast looks like the only offender.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channel...ls/td-p/988533
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channel...g/td-p/1332109

And sometimes there are movies and programs the main channel doesn't broadcast. Like others have already said, Comcast should be expanding HD programming, not taking it away.

So not cool.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsnyc View Post
I was worried this was a trend so I checked if there was any chatter about TWC or other providers doing the same thing. So far Comcast looks like the only offender.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channel...ls/td-p/988533
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channel...g/td-p/1332109

And sometimes there are movies and programs the main channel doesn't broadcast. Like others have already said, Comcast should be expanding HD programming, not taking it away.

So not cool.
In fairness to Comcast, most of those movies and programs are probably available On Demand that month.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
mlsnyc

Quote:
In fairness to Comcast, most of those movies and programs are probably available On Demand that month.
I suppose. It's been years since I've been on Comcast, but I remember that on top of the Premium OnDemand content they also offered a lot of HD movies for free to their customers through OnDemand.

But that won't help much if you don't have their STB (i.e. just your TiVo box) or if a movie they're showing on the other channels aren't on OnDemand.
mlsnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
sharkster

Quote:

I, too, like having both feeds. I hope Charter doesn't start taking away channels. We pay enough for cable that we aren't getting any more than we pay for, that's for sure!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #27
aindik

Let me know if you can see this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-279994165.jpg (45.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 08-02-2012, 04:10 AM   #28
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Which means squat to most TiVo owners, right?

meh
Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #29
dbranco

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Xfinity VOD in the Boston market? I wonder if that includes me...
Probably, if you live in the Boston area. I live north of Boston and can get VOD on my Tivo Premiere when it's in the "HD Menu" mode.
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #30
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I don't have Comcast, but I hate the idea of them giving you less for the same money or more. I hope this isn't a trend. Yeah, I know a lot of what they show on the various channels is redundant, but I still like the idea of choice. The thing is, I don't find a clear definition of what the other HBOs are supposed to be in some cases. HBOE and HBOW I get. HBO Signature? What is that supposed to be? How about HBO Zone? I think they need to scope those channels out better so that they just don't seem redundant and give the providers an excuse to cut them. Maybe change HBO Signature to show only HBO produced content. HBO Zone could be something else...not sure what.