TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #181
CrashHD
I am the me.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MO, USA
Posts: 662
2x2TB is not believed be possible. It is said tivoapp cannot handle more than 2TiB of mfs address space, or something like that. I believe it is the tivoHD that was the first to use a 64 bit mfs, and even it cannot get past 2 TiB.

That was the point I was working at when I commented about dual drive setups. It is now possible to get a tivo to the maximum capacity it can handle with a single disk.
__________________
Can you touch your ____ with your ___? Then go ____ yourself?
The answers are (shoulders, hands, hug). If you came up with something else, that's on you
CrashHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #182
SouthTivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The South
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

Any chance that 250 is still unchanged and you can get the partition map of of it and post it for comparison?

We may be wandering off-topic a bit here, but as I see it, anybody looking for an adapter wants it so they can use a bigger drive, so information about expansion is relevant.
And the insight is appreciated. Upgrading is more like alchemy than science.

Here's the partition map from the 250, which still works. It's currently copying again to the 1TB, but this time I will not expand. Just want to see if it will boot with any of the SATA-IDE adapters. Got plenty to try now.


Code:
Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                       4096@64        (   2.0M)
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          4096@4160      (   2.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          262144@8256      ( 128.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                       4096@270400    (   2.0M)
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          4096@274496    (   2.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          262144@278592    ( 128.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                      262144@540736    ( 128.0M)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            262144@802880    ( 128.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region         1048576@1065024   ( 512.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region              33100800@2113600   (  15.8G)
 12                   MFS Second MFS application region   1048576@35214400  ( 512.0M)
 13                   MFS Second MFS media region       44161024@36262976  (  21.1G)
 14                   MFS Third MFS application region      1024@80424000  ( 512.0K)
 15                   MFS Expanded MFS by MFSLive      407971840@80425024  ( 194.5G)
Same number of partitions. Just resized some. The swap part is bigger on the 1TB following some of the advice for large drives.
__________________
After 12 years, left DirecTV for Dish Hopper W/Sling and Joey in 2013.
Former DirecTivo equipment:
SDDVR-40 @ 884+hrs
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #183
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTivo View Post
And the insight is appreciated. Upgrading is more like alchemy than science.

Here's the partition map from the 250, which still works. It's currently copying again to the 1TB, but this time I will not expand. Just want to see if it will boot with any of the SATA-IDE adapters. Got plenty to try now.


Code:
Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                       4096@64        (   2.0M)
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          4096@4160      (   2.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          262144@8256      ( 128.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                       4096@270400    (   2.0M)
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          4096@274496    (   2.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          262144@278592    ( 128.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                      262144@540736    ( 128.0M)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            262144@802880    ( 128.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region         1048576@1065024   ( 512.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region              33100800@2113600   (  15.8G)
 12                   MFS Second MFS application region   1048576@35214400  ( 512.0M)
 13                   MFS Second MFS media region       44161024@36262976  (  21.1G)
 14                   MFS Third MFS application region      1024@80424000  ( 512.0K)
 15                   MFS Expanded MFS by MFSLive      407971840@80425024  ( 194.5G)
Same number of partitions. Just resized some. The swap part is bigger on the 1TB following some of the advice for large drives.
I don't suppose there's any hope of the partition table from the 80 that came in between the 40 and the 250?

Apparently WinMFS was able to either take the 3rd MFS pair which had been created by MFS Live and enlarge them (specifically the media one) when you went from the 250 to the 1TB, or else it copied the other 13 partitions and replaced the last 2 and somehow it didn't cost you any shows that you noticed.

But that doesn't solve the mystery of how MFS Live could move you from the 40 to the 80 and then to the 250 without tripping over the 3rd pair added when you went to the 80.

And it looks like I need to re-read the WinMFS documentation.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #184
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
2x2TB is not believed be possible. It is said tivoapp cannot handle more than 2TiB of mfs address space, or something like that. I believe it is the tivoHD that was the first to use a 64 bit mfs, and even it cannot get past 2 TiB.

That was the point I was working at when I commented about dual drive setups. It is now possible to get a tivo to the maximum capacity it can handle with a single disk.
But theoretically you could put a single 2TB in an S1 Philips that came from the factory with a 14GB Quantum?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #185
CrashHD
I am the me.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MO, USA
Posts: 662
I don't know, S1's were before my time. I don't even know if the S1's had LBA48 kernels.
__________________
Can you touch your ____ with your ___? Then go ____ yourself?
The answers are (shoulders, hands, hug). If you came up with something else, that's on you
CrashHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #186
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
I don't know, S1's were before my time. I don't even know if the S1's had LBA48 kernels.
Not from the factory, you had to patch it, but if you have an old enough computer you can do so via the copykern utility.

Before that you had to use stuff like Todd Miller's tpip and actually know what you were doing.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #187
SouthTivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The South
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
But that doesn't solve the mystery of how MFS Live could move you from the 40 to the 80 and then to the 250 without tripping over the 3rd pair added when you went to the 80.
That 80 was repurposed for a PC and later failed. So unfortunately not going to be of any use.

The good news is, SUCCESS! The SDDVR40 is up and running with 884 hours capacity, and all recordings retained.

Ended up using WinMFS again and recopied the data from old IDE to new drive with the SATA - IDE converter in place just as it would be on the Tivo. Also set the swap for 256 instead of 512. So one of those things did it.

The LK-13415 SATA - IDE adapter worked perfectly, so I'll go update my earlier post.

Thanks for all the support!
__________________
After 12 years, left DirecTV for Dish Hopper W/Sling and Joey in 2013.
Former DirecTivo equipment:
SDDVR-40 @ 884+hrs
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #188
tkoyn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 44
What SATA to PATA adapter is currently available and recommended for a Tivo Series 2 240080 model.

I have upgraded it from the original 80 to 160 gb, and then to 500gb with another PATA drive about 4 years ago. Drive is aging and I want to replace it with at lease equal capacity (ok to upgrade to 1TB too), but want to keep all shows.

What adapter should I get and procedure should I follow these days, since I can't buy a new PATA 500gb drive anymore unless I want to pay more at some crackpot vendor or ebay seller and risk getting a refurb/used drive?

What SATA drives are recommended for use (with adapter) in a Series 2?

Just want to get something that is known to work in the 500GB to 1TB range for my aging Series 2.

Thanks
tkoyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #189
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoyn View Post
What SATA to PATA adapter is currently available and recommended for a Tivo Series 2 240080 model.

I have upgraded it from the original 80 to 160 gb, and then to 500gb with another PATA drive about 4 years ago. Drive is aging and I want to replace it with at lease equal capacity (ok to upgrade to 1TB too), but want to keep all shows.

What adapter should I get and procedure should I follow these days, since I can't buy a new PATA 500gb drive anymore unless I want to pay more at some crackpot vendor or ebay seller and risk getting a refurb/used drive?

What SATA drives are recommended for use (with adapter) in a Series 2?

Just want to get something that is known to work in the 500GB to 1TB range for my aging Series 2.

Thanks
Happen to have that very same model S2 sitting slightly off to my left at the moment.

At this point you should use the free version of TiVo Desktop to transfer off all of the shows to a very large NTFS partition (FAT32 file size limit turns 2 hour shows into 1 hour, 55 minute shows)


You, I am certain, already have the maximum number per drive of MFS pair partitions. (3 pair, or 6 partitions)

I'm not certain if WinMFS will let you go from a 500GB to a 1TB by enlarging existing partitions or not.

The MFS Live cd v1.4 won't (but you should still have a copy on hand for other stuff)

A Marvell chipset based adapter will work in an S1 or S2, and you can find them discussed earlier in this thread.

A JMicron chipset based adapter will work in an S2 (just not in the finicky S1s) and probably be a little cheaper.

The one Weaknees sells will work in your unit.

This one should work also

http://www.nsioutlet.com/store/produ...304-01050.html

if it's the one they picture and the specs haven't changed.

I bought 2 of them back in 2010 I think it was, and am using them in S2s right now.

The drives I know about that will work are not necessarily available anymore.

The trick may be getting one made before last fall's floods in Thailand, not to mention Seagate borging Samsung and WD borging Hitachi.

Newegg is still advertising the Samsung HD103SJ, at about twice what I paid about a year ago.

If they actually send you what they show, and not a rebadged Seagate, or a newer "advanced format" verison hiding under the old model number, it should work, although 7200RPM is faster than the TiVo can take advantage of, so all you gain over a 5400 or thereabouts is extra heat.

A pre-advanced format WD10EADS or WD10EACS and maybe a WD10EARS should work after you disable Intellipark.

Pre-advanced format Caviar Blues and Caviar Blacks should work, although again the 7200RPM speed is wasted.

If you haven't read this thead from the very beginning, go back and do so.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #190
dan0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 15
is the Jmicron JM20330
like this one at wow parts
http://www.wowparts.com/pata-to-sata...5-3-5-hdd-dvd/
or ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190652522427
about the best thing to use in a series 2 ?
thanks
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #191
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0 View Post
is the Jmicron JM20330
like this one at wow parts
http://www.wowparts.com/pata-to-sata...5-3-5-hdd-dvd/
or ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190652522427
about the best thing to use in a series 2 ?
thanks
That eBay seller--partsdomauction--and wowparts and nsioutlet are all the same people and it should be the same adapter.

Jumper on for Master, off for slave.

That one should work just fine in an S2.

It's what I'm using in several of them.

Or you could get the one from Weaknees, it's JMicron as well.

One of the Marvell chipset based adapters, which are the only ones which work in a Series 1, would work just as well in an S2 as the JMicron, but would likely cost more.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #192
calric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
hi; just wanted to report my findings with my S2 DT TCD649080;

maxtor model 6l300r0 doesn't seem to be working
WD wd2500bb - 22rda0 wd caviar appears to work just fine so far.
calric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #193
derelict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 19
I bought the partsdom adapter with the Jmicron chipset for use in my S2 DTivos (Samsung SIR-4080R). I am using this in conjunction with a WD 10EVVS 1TB drive. For some reason the drive doesn't boot up (I put a fresh image using instant cake). I have been racking my brain on why this could be, I tried it with the jumper on and off the adapter board, but no difference.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is maybe I need to set a jumper on the drive to enable 150MB/s data transfer?

Hoping someone has some experience with this...

thanks in advance...
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #194
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
I bought the partsdom adapter with the Jmicron chipset for use in my S2 DTivos (Samsung SIR-4080R). I am using this in conjunction with a WD 10EVVS 1TB drive. For some reason the drive doesn't boot up (I put a fresh image using instant cake). I have been racking my brain on why this could be, I tried it with the jumper on and off the adapter board, but no difference.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is maybe I need to set a jumper on the drive to enable 150MB/s data transfer?

Hoping someone has some experience with this...

thanks in advance...

If that's an early S2, it might be S1-ish enough to need a Marvell chipset based adapter.

(fotunately newegg has a Rosewill and one other brand down under $15 now)

But first, run wdidle3 on that WD drive.

If it won't let you disable, set it to 300 seconds.

Then look for documentation on that jumper setting.

It might say something about PHY

Go ahead and set it for 1.5

If it works, try it again with the jumper off.

If it still works, go ahead and put the jumper back on.

If you don't let the drive make a decision, it won't make the wrong one or get stuck trying to make it.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #195
derelict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If that's an early S2, it might be S1-ish enough to need a Marvell chipset based adapter.

(fotunately newegg has a Rosewill and one other brand down under $15 now)

But first, run wdidle3 on that WD drive.

If it won't let you disable, set it to 300 seconds.

Then look for documentation on that jumper setting.

It might say something about PHY

Go ahead and set it for 1.5

If it works, try it again with the jumper off.

If it still works, go ahead and put the jumper back on.

If you don't let the drive make a decision, it won't make the wrong one or get stuck trying to make it.
Thanks I will give this a try. I am on the road for 2 weeks but will report back right after with success (hopefully) or failure.
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #196
ronsch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Tallahassee, FL, USA
Posts: 1,982
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: Philips DSR6000
Hard drive model: Western Digital WD AV-GP WD5000AVDS
Adapter retail name: Rosewill RC-A-SATA-IDE
Purchased from / Price: Newegg/$9.99
Chipset on the adapter: Unknown

I bought the drive/adapter when I thought my current IDE drive was about to go belly-up during the recent DTV Guide Data fiasco. I completed a backup/restore from an IDE to the SATA drive in my XP/IDE computer with the adapter and then booted it up in the TiVo to test. I only had the unit up for a couple of minutes but it did boot and was able to play back recordings.
__________________
Celebrating twelve years on the TiVo Forum
dd_rescue evangelist & scuba diver
ronsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #197
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: Philips DSR6000
Hard drive model: Western Digital WD AV-GP WD5000AVDS
Adapter retail name: Rosewill RC-A-SATA-IDE
Purchased from / Price: Newegg/$9.99
Chipset on the adapter: Unknown

I bought the drive/adapter when I thought my current IDE drive was about to go belly-up during the recent DTV Guide Data fiasco. I completed a backup/restore from an IDE to the SATA drive in my XP/IDE computer with the adapter and then booted it up in the TiVo to test. I only had the unit up for a couple of minutes but it did boot and was able to play back recordings.
The chipset on that adapter is the Marvell, which is what's needed for Series 1 TiVos.

The Marvell is sort of the universal donor. I've never seen an instance where it didn't work and some other chipset did.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #198
ronsch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Tallahassee, FL, USA
Posts: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The chipset on that adapter is the Marvell, which is what's needed for Series 1 TiVos.

The Marvell is sort of the universal donor. I've never seen an instance where it didn't work and some other chipset did.
I know you had previously posted that it uses the Marvell chipset but since I could find nothing on the Newegg or Rosewill web sites to that effect I decided to leave it as unknown.
__________________
Celebrating twelve years on the TiVo Forum
dd_rescue evangelist & scuba diver
ronsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #199
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
I know you had previously posted that it uses the Marvell chipset but since I could find nothing on the Newegg or Rosewill web sites to that effect I decided to leave it as unknown.
You can look at that square black thing with all the silver legs on the adapter itself and see the stylized "M" printed on it.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #200
vegas4x4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: Tivo TCD649080 Series 2 Dual Tuner
Hard drive model: Segate Barracuda ST500DM002 500gb
Adapter retail name: Unknown marked "PATA & SATA 863B"
Purchased from / Price: WOWParts / $4.69 w/ free shipping
Chipset on the adapter: Unknown

Just bought the hard drive and SATA to PATA adapter. I used an image I found here on forum with WinMFS and was up and running in about 5 minutes. Awesome forum! Hope this info helps someone.
vegas4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #201
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas4x4 View Post
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: Tivo TCD649080 Series 2 Dual Tuner
Hard drive model: Segate Barracuda ST500DM002 500gb
Adapter retail name: Unknown marked "PATA & SATA 863B"
Purchased from / Price: WOWParts / $4.69 w/ free shipping
Chipset on the adapter: Unknown

I used an image I found here on forum with WinMFS and was up and running in about 5 minutes. Awesome forum! Hope this info helps someone.
Chipset is most likely JMicron
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #202
vegas4x4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2
Looks like I spoke too soon. This drive/adapter combo did not end up working out.

The Tivo would work, but started freezing up on a daily basis, requiring a reboot to get it going again. Also, playback would be stuttering/jittery from time to time.

I took the drive out and ran Seagate's SeaTools drive test. I ran the long test both with the SATA to IDE adapter in place and without the adapter in place (SATA direct to the PC), the drive passed both tests.

I since put the old original drive back in and it's working fine. I guess I'll chalk it up to an incompatible drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas4x4 View Post
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: Tivo TCD649080 Series 2 Dual Tuner
Hard drive model: Segate Barracuda ST500DM002 500gb
Adapter retail name: Unknown marked "PATA & SATA 863B"
Purchased from / Price: WOWParts / $4.69 w/ free shipping
Chipset on the adapter: Unknown

Just bought the hard drive and SATA to PATA adapter. I used an image I found here on forum with WinMFS and was up and running in about 5 minutes. Awesome forum! Hope this info helps someone.

vegas4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #203
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas4x4 View Post
Looks like I spoke too soon. This drive/adapter combo did not end up working out.

The Tivo would work, but started freezing up on a daily basis, requiring a reboot to get it going again. Also, playback would be stuttering/jittery from time to time.

I took the drive out and ran Seagate's SeaTools drive test. I ran the long test both with the SATA to IDE adapter in place and without the adapter in place (SATA direct to the PC), the drive passed both tests.

I since put the old original drive back in and it's working fine. I guess I'll chalk it up to an incompatible drive.

This is just a guess on my part, but maybe the drive is too new for an S2, not because of SATA, but because of "Advanced Format" 4K sector instead of 512byte sector issues or/and problems negotiating down from 6Gb/s to whatever the combination of the adapter (designed when SATA drives were 1.5Gb/s, I suspect) and the IDE controller can handle.

If you could find a lightly used WD10EADS (Caviar Green, don't forget to run wdidle3 to disable Intellipark) or EALS (Caviar Blue), you might be alright, but be sure to check the label to make sure it's not a newer version with the same model number but switched to 4K sectors.

I'm running Caviar Blacks (FALS) in my S2 DTs ('cause they were on sale a couple or 3 Black Fridays ago), but with an extra fan in there as well, 'cause they're 7200RPM and get toasty.

4K sectors aren't really necessary until the drive is over 2TB in size, so the insistence of the industry to make it universal no matter how small the drive is really annoying, especially since they do their best to keep you from being able to find out which model number has what specs and if they've changed the specs without changing the model number.

One other thing, check on the power supply's capacitors.

The DT seems to have escaped the problems the single tuner S2s and all 3 versions of the S3 have had with capacitor plague, but that doesn't make it impossible for it to suffer from it as well.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #204
neil_h
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Sata power cable also needed?

Hello,

I am ready to order the adapter from wowparts.com to go in my S2 with a SATA drive.

Do I also need to order a separate SATA power cable that will connect to the drive?



Quote:
Originally Posted by stern_howie View Post
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: Tivo 540xxxxx
Hard drive model:1TB WDBAAZ0010HNC-NRSN
Adapter retail name:Model: LK-13415
Purchased from / Price: wowparts.com $5.99
Chipset on the adapter:Jmicron 20330 controller

I installed in 2 S2 540's no problem.

neil_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #205
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_h View Post
Hello,

I am ready to order the adapter from wowparts.com to go in my S2 with a SATA drive.

Do I also need to order a separate SATA power cable that will connect to the drive?
On the IDE side the adapter has the 40 pin data connector to which the Tivo's IDE ribbon cable connects and the 4 pin power connector into which the TiVo's 4 pin power plug is inserted (these are called Molex connectors after the original brand name---the little 4 plug things that floppy drives use are called Berg connectors).

On the SATA side of the adapter is a combination plug which simultanously plugs into both the data and power connectors of the SATA drive.

The adapter makes the SATA drive appear both electronically and physically to be a PATA/IDE drive, so if you have everything needed to connect a PATA drive (which the TiVo does), then you're covered.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #206
dbk123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Did it work?: No
TiVo Model: Series 1 Philips PVT300
Hard drive model: Western Digital WD10EURS
Adapter retail name: Addonics ADST1062-00B (ADSAIDE)
Chipset on the adapter: Marvell 88SA8052


Extremely frustrated here. I've done a number of upgrades on Series 2 units with similar WD drives and older Addonics adapters. Never a problem. I've tried numerous times with this combination on the S1, and I've even used the older Addonics adapters, different cables, etc. I tried the WDIDLE3 adjustment, and using a jumper on Pins 7 & 8 to enable (or disable?) the so-called "Advanced" mode of the drive. I had a similar problem in the past using a similar drive and an older Addonics using both WINMFS and the Linux version. Using the same tools, I was able to copy to another IDE drive, so I'm doing the software bit correctly.

Kick-start codes don't do anything -- it's as if the unit doesn't even know there's a drive connected (it shows the "Your Recorder is starting up ..." screen for a minute, resets, and then shows it again -- same thing if I simply disconnect the drive.

I'm beginning to think that this old Philips version simply cannot handle an upgrade with an SATA drive.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!
dbk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #207
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbk123 View Post
Did it work?: No
TiVo Model: Series 1 Philips PVT300
Hard drive model: Western Digital WD10EURS
Adapter retail name: Addonics ADST1062-00B (ADSAIDE)
Chipset on the adapter: Marvell 88SA8052


Extremely frustrated here. I've done a number of upgrades on Series 2 units with similar WD drives and older Addonics adapters. Never a problem. I've tried numerous times with this combination on the S1, and I've even used the older Addonics adapters, different cables, etc. I tried the WDIDLE3 adjustment, and using a jumper on Pins 7 & 8 to enable (or disable?) the so-called "Advanced" mode of the drive. I had a similar problem in the past using a similar drive and an older Addonics using both WINMFS and the Linux version. Using the same tools, I was able to copy to another IDE drive, so I'm doing the software bit correctly.

Kick-start codes don't do anything -- it's as if the unit doesn't even know there's a drive connected (it shows the "Your Recorder is starting up ..." screen for a minute, resets, and then shows it again -- same thing if I simply disconnect the drive.

I'm beginning to think that this old Philips version simply cannot handle an upgrade with an SATA drive.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!
The S1 can run SATA drives (with a Marvell chipset adapter), but perhaps not that new a SATA drive, especially if it's a 4K sector drive, maybe.

It can't run a Caviar Blue, PATA or SATA, for some reason, and I had a pair of PATA Seagate 160GB drives which it would only accept one of at a time, although either could be the A or B drive along with some other brand/model no problem.

S1's are just finicky when it comes to hard drives.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #208
irateb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6
Did it work?: Yes
TiVo Model: TCD540140
Hard drive model: Seagate ST96812AS 250GB 2.5"
Adapter retail name: WLXKJ-863B printed on board
Purchased from / Price: Two of them, both from eBay seller ibrookauction: one purchased 08/09 for $5.99 and one purchased earlier this month for $4.62
Chipset on the adapter: both Jmicron JM20330

The TiVo had been sitting dead for a long time, and recent competing recording conflicts with my wife on the craptacular Comcast box coupled with reviving my computer repair side business made me decide to revive the TiVo as well. I acquired a couple drives, the first one being an old Maxtor MAXLine Plus II 250GB 3.5" IDE drive, used InstantCake, got it up, running and up to date, but it is a ridiculously noisy drive. The other drive is a Toshiba MK2561GSYN 250GB 2.5" SATA drive I pulled from an old laptop. I didn't see anything saying a 2.5" drive couldn't be used, so I bought some brackets to put it in the TiVo. I used WinMFS to copy the Maxtor down to the Toshiba, put it in the Tivo, and it stuck at the "Welcome! Powering Up..." screen. I tried FixBoot Option 2 (I read a couple posts about people having success with Option 2, and none with Option 1, although I may try it here shortly) to no avail. Just to make sure it wasn't WinMFS, I used InstantCake on the Toshiba and it's still stuck at Powering Up. The worst part is I just returned a Rosewill RC-A-SATA-IDE adapter because I was about to use it in a machine I built to do hard drive cloning (the eBay ones refused to be a Master drive with an IDE Slave attached, only a Master by itself or the Slave...the Rosewill didn't have this issue), but then I acquired a better desktop with SATA connectors on the motherboard, so my cheapness wanted the ~$10 back (after the restocking fee and cost to mail it back).

So that's the back story. Anything else I should try, is this a possible issue with the 2.5" drive, or do I just need to reorder the Rosewill (or some other Marvell chip unit)?

EDIT: I got it working with a smaller sized (60GB) 2.5" drive.

Last edited by irateb : 03-10-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Update to story
irateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #209
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by irateb View Post
Did it work?: No
TiVo Model: TCD540140
Hard drive model: Toshiba MK2561GSYN 250GB 2.5"
Adapter retail name: WLXKJ-863B printed on board
Purchased from / Price: Two of them, both from eBay seller ibrookauction: one purchased 08/09 for $5.99 and one purchased earlier this month for $4.62
Chipset on the adapter: both Jmicron JM20330

The TiVo had been sitting dead for a long time, and recent competing recording conflicts with my wife on the craptacular Comcast box coupled with reviving my computer repair side business made me decide to revive the TiVo as well. I acquired a couple drives, the first one being an old Maxtor MAXLine Plus II 250GB 3.5" IDE drive, used InstantCake, got it up, running and up to date, but it is a ridiculously noisy drive. The other drive is a Toshiba MK2561GSYN 250GB 2.5" SATA drive I pulled from an old laptop. I didn't see anything saying a 2.5" drive couldn't be used, so I bought some brackets to put it in the TiVo. I used WinMFS to copy the Maxtor down to the Toshiba, put it in the Tivo, and it stuck at the "Welcome! Powering Up..." screen. I tried FixBoot Option 2 (I read a couple posts about people having success with Option 2, and none with Option 1, although I may try it here shortly) to no avail. Just to make sure it wasn't WinMFS, I used InstantCake on the Toshiba and it's still stuck at Powering Up. The worst part is I just returned a Rosewill RC-A-SATA-IDE adapter because I was about to use it in a machine I built to do hard drive cloning (the eBay ones refused to be a Master drive with an IDE Slave attached, only a Master by itself or the Slave...the Rosewill didn't have this issue), but then I acquired a better desktop with SATA connectors on the motherboard, so my cheapness wanted the ~$10 back (after the restocking fee and cost to mail it back).

So that's the back story. Anything else I should try, is this a possible issue with the 2.5" drive, or do I just need to reorder the Rosewill (or some other Marvell chip unit)?
The TiVo boots from partitions 2, 3, and 4.

Except for when it boots from partitions 5, 6, and 7.

Option 1 of FixBoot creates the first condition, option 2 creates the second.

The idea is to boot from whichever works.

The reason for 2 is that while it's running it can download an operating system update and then in the middle of the night it can rewrite it's bootpage, which is what options 1 and 2 do, and reboot itself, and when it does the bootpage rewrite will cause it to boot from the trio with the newest version of the software.

In WinMFS one can click on mfsinfo and somewhere in there it'll tell you which from which 3 the drive is currently set to boot.

Like I say, the idea is that if the current one isn't working, you try the other. You can alway go back and undo it.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #210
irateb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The TiVo boots from partitions 2, 3, and 4.

Except for when it boots from partitions 5, 6, and 7.

Option 1 of FixBoot creates the first condition, option 2 creates the second.

The idea is to boot from whichever works.

The reason for 2 is that while it's running it can download an operating system update and then in the middle of the night it can rewrite it's bootpage, which is what options 1 and 2 do, and reboot itself, and when it does the bootpage rewrite will cause it to boot from the trio with the newest version of the software.

In WinMFS one can click on mfsinfo and somewhere in there it'll tell you which from which 3 the drive is currently set to boot.

Like I say, the idea is that if the current one isn't working, you try the other. You can alway go back and undo it.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm currently bringing the Maxtor image back down to the Toshiba, so I'll try it then. But you don't see any issue with using a 2.5" drive right? I'm starting to suspect I have one of those Series 2 units that doesn't like the JMicron chip...
irateb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |