TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
HoraceX

Is Tivo Premiere any good?

I'm a T2 lifetime owner and am contemplating an upgrade.

A couple of questions:

My understanding is that the menu system of the new tivos was nearly unbearably slow at the release. Is that still the case?

I've also heard that the interface is now saturated with ads? Is that right?

I'm also confused on the pricing. When I look at the upgrade offers all I see is the premier at $150 + lifetime at $500. That would mean they are asking $650 for the premiere. Is that the price for a version without ads? That seems ridiculously high.

Thanks.

Last edited by HoraceX : 07-27-2012 at 12:38 PM.
HoraceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
DocNo

The HD menus do lag. Thankfully you can turn them off and revert to the "classic" UI.

For now at least. The Premiere has gone the same as the S3, the Series 2 and Series 1 before - when I first got all of them, the overall experience was zippy and generally lag free. Then with each successive software update, the boxes get slower and slower. It happened with my original Phillips S1, my S2 and S3. By the time I got my HD it had already had a few software updates, so if it was zippy on release I never saw it.

At least the premiere was slow from day one!

As I said, at least you can kill the HD UI. It should be comparable to your S2 (despite having much beefier HW) performance wise. As for the lifetime costs, making money has always been and still is a critical issue with TiVo. If you are a long time subscriber with lifetime, you can probably get 'em to move it or swing you a discount.
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

When I saw your very general thread title, I was tempted to answer:

Well yes -- and no -- and there are hundreds of threads here to prove it!

But I see you've actually asked some very good questions. I can't give you much in the way of answers, since all I know about the Premiere is what I've read here. But a couple of comments:

1. TiVo device and subscription pricing is the ultimate example of confusing. You just need to look and read a lot to get a better picture. Seems to me I've seen specials recently where you could get the box free and pay $20/mo subscription if that interests you.

2. There was quite a bit of complaining that the Premiere OTA tuners were not as sensitive as those in the TiVo HD and S3. If you care about OTA, you might want to search the Premiere forum here on that topic.

I'm sure others will give you more complete answers.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

HD menus lag for some. Mine are fine. It has gotten faster over time as TiVo has optimized their software (reminds me of my Xoom- jelly bean makes it like a whole new device).

Ads are there, but are not too bad. Similar to an S2, and in the same way you get used to them and can easily ignore.

MSD is still in play- so if you have an active lifetime unit you'll pay less (~400 I believe). You should be able to find outlets with older stock units that run more like 50-100, and a renewed unit is ~80 (and work great).
Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
compnurd

To me the HD menus do not lag.... They dont fly through like the old SD ones do, but slow they are not
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I just got a Premiere a month or so ago and I don't notice that the HD menus are particularly laggy. They don't seem any slower than my S3. I turned off the inset video in the upper left corner (except in the guide, where you can't turn it off); it didn't find it to be a useful addition and it had a weird interaction with playback of recordings. That may or may not have sped things up.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The zero-cost Premiere with $20/mo subscription is currently being advertised in the right side bar on this forum. Here's the link:
http://www3.tivo.com/promo/renewedpr...CRC_0downJuly3

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceX View Post
I've also heard that the interface is now saturated with ads? Is that right?

I'm also confused on the pricing. When I look at the upgrade offers all I see is the premier at $150 + lifetime at $500. That would mean they are asking $650 for the premiere. Is that the price for a version without ads? That seems ridiculously high.
Lifetime is $400 since you already have a Tivo. I'd suggest getting the XL4 if you're going to upgrade. I don't have one, but it has 4 tuners, so is at least twice as good as a regular Premiere.. (Unless you need OTA channels.. the XL4 does not do OTA.. the 'old' Premieres do.)

Saturated with ads? There is a bar thing along the top of the menu screens that has some ads, and there are sometimes ads that show up when you pause (but that happens on S3 & TivoHD too).. I don't have a Premiere/XL4 but use one regularly at a friend's house. (and am thinking of getting one.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
lpwcomp

The performance of the HDUI is very much dependent on your network. It uses the TiVo servers for most everything, except actual scheduling and recording. If your local net is slow or access to the internet is slow, it will be sluggish.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The performance of the HDUI is very much dependent on your network. It uses the TiVo servers for most everything, except actual scheduling and recording. If your local net is slow or access to the internet is slow, it will be sluggish.
At my GFs house, with her 1.2Mb/s DSL connection, my two tuner Premiere is only slightly slower than at home with my FiOS 43Mb/s connection.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
At my GFs house, with her 1.2Mb/s DSL connection, my two tuner Premiere is only slightly slower than at home with my FiOS 43Mb/s connection.
Max d/l speed is not the only factor that affects network performance. I have 12MB/s and all hardwired connections. Most of the time I don't have any problems but believe me, there are times when it does get sluggish.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Lifetime is $400 since you already have a Tivo.
Only if he maintains service on his other TiVo (or some other TiVo). If he cancels service on the old box and doesn't have another, the MSD on the new Premiere goes away.

Quote:
Saturated with ads? There is a bar thing along the top of the menu screens that has some ads, and there are sometimes ads that show up when you pause (but that happens on S3 & TivoHD too).
I rarely notice what's going on in that bar at the top and I've programmed my universal remote to send PAUSE+CLEAR to get rid of pause ads (it gets rid of the scrub bar as well but you can't have everything ).

I thought that there were sometimes ads at the bottom of folder menus but I examined some folders just now and didn't see any.

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 07-28-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
tneison

Maybe I'm not looking for any problems, but my 3 new Premieres all run great. My only criticism if that they didn't build out all of the menu's in HD yet - so it looks like crap once you go a few levels deep in the menus.

The HD menus for me are snappy. Channel changes are definitely quicker than what I had previously.
tneison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

You can buy a used Premiere with lifetime for less than the $650. If you are really only looking to get one box you might consider an S3HD. They go for around $300 with lifetime.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Only if he maintains service on his other TiVo (or some other TiVo). If he cancels service on the old box and doesn't have another, the MSD on the new Premiere goes away.
But obviously, he only has to maintain it UNTIL he purchases lifetime on the new box.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
But obviously, he only has to maintain it UNTIL he purchases lifetime on the new box.
I thought that, but the terms of use state that MSD goes away when you no longer have multiple service. They'd probably ask for the $100 back and turn off his service until they got it.

I could be wrong--perhaps it only applies to a monthly discount. Has anyone tried it?

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
jrtroo
User

No, once you own it, you own it. However, it can no longer help getting additional discounts.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #18
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
No, once you own it, you own it. However, it can no longer help getting additional discounts.
Have you tried it? By which I mean, upgraded to a new box buying PLS using MSD and then cancelling service on the old box? They'd be idiots to not protect themselves against that ploy.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
jrtroo
User

I have sold old boxes that were the MSD. Why would you cancel lifetime on a box?

Note: the OP indicated their initial box is lifetime. You now seem to be asking a different question where someone purchases lifetime using MSD with a monthly box. I think that the answer is the same- lifetime is lifetime and many have sold their discounted boxes which keeps lifetime. But, I have not done that myself.

Last edited by jrtroo : 07-31-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Additional comments.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I have sold old boxes that were the MSD.
A slightly different situation than taking an MSD discount and then quickly cancelling your other service. I ask again, is there anyone who's done that?

"
" -- hookbill