TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
clherv

FIOS DVR vs. Tivo Xl4--multiple simultaneous

We loved our DirectTV with Tivo, but were forced to drop it because DirectTV dropped support of the box.

One bothersome thing about the FIOS DVR is that it will actually record the exact same show at the exact same time on two different channels. (Less incredible is that it will record the same episode twice in the same day, but we had to let the old Tivo do that with some shows because the show's description was not enough for TIVO to distinguish episodes, and so never recorded any but the first)

We are saving up our money for an XL4, but I got to wondering, would the XL4 do the same thing. We can't use our old experience because the duplicate channels are due to HD (which I don't care about) and SD being broadcast at the same time for the same show on two different channels. We did not have HD on the DirectTV.

Question: is the XL4 smart enough (we are running FIOS) to not record the same show at the same time on two different tuners? Maybe it would solve if the XL4 would let me specify SD only?
clherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
rsnaider

Season Passes are channel specific and you would choose either HD or SD when you create them. If using a WishList, which I do for shows that air on many channels such as HBO or Showtime, I add the category of HD and that filters them to only HD.

Getting the same episode twice is beyond TiVo's control as if the guide data is generic, TiVo errors on the side of caution and assumes the show is new and will record it.

As for the same thing recording on more then one tuner at the same time; I have not seen that occur on any of my boxes.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Roamio Pro - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
clherv

thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

For sd/hd duplicates- the easiest solution that always works is to unselect the one from the channel list you do not want to record.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
clherv

thanks