TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #31
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting that it's been a recurring issue because I've never run out of guide data with WMC.
I'm too lazy to go look up all the threads at thegreenbutton.tv for you again, but it's been an ongoing issue for a while now. Ceton has gotten involved with MS on multiple occasions to get the problem resolved, and in some cases it's come with folks only having 2-3 days of guide data left. You can thank the folks there and Ceton's excellent reps for making sure that we never ran out of data.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #32
stcaudle12

Tivo

Good luck! I like the fact that Tivo is sending updates constantly and it works like it's supposed to. PC's are a pain.
stcaudle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #33
SnakeEyes

See ya
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #34
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I'm set in my ways now and have no desire to learn a different system. The Tivo *just works*.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #35
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I tried a PC tuner and WMC but ran into several issues just with the cable connection. Pixelation was a constant issue (maybe it's the tuner's fault) but I also have to manually input the channel lineup and have no guide data for them. Don't really have an option for OTA where I'm at.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #36
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I'm too lazy to go look up all the threads at thegreenbutton.tv for you again, but it's been an ongoing issue for a while now. Ceton has gotten involved with MS on multiple occasions to get the problem resolved, and in some cases it's come with folks only having 2-3 days of guide data left. You can thank the folks there and Ceton's excellent reps for making sure that we never ran out of data.
So exactly how much guide data do you need? While it's nice to be able to set up recordings days or even weeks in advance, as long as the guide data is present on the day a program airs, season passes will pick them up and record them automatically. My point was that I never missed a recording due to lack of guide data. I only record single shows on an occasional basis and have season passes set up for 99% of my recordings.

FWIW, I didn't make the transition from Tivo to HTPC overnight. I started off using my HTPC with OTA tuners to record locals because DirecTV didn't carry all of them. I watch a lot of network TV and I found myself using the HTPC for recording as much as my Tivos. I eventually switched to FIOS when it became available and bought a couple of S3 Tivos at $600 a pop. My recording chores were pretty much evenly split between cable and OTA at this point.

When the Ceton tuner became available I upgraded my HTPC to Windows 7 Media Center. I used both the Tivos and the WMC PC for recording cable programs for several months, mainly as a backup in case the HTPC didn't work the way I wanted. WMC turned out to be extremely reliable and I eventually stopped using the Tivos altogether.

The total transition from Tivo to HTPC spanned over several years so it's not something I just jumped into lightly. I had growing pains with the HTPC, but the vast majority of problems I experienced were hardware related. The current hardware and drivers are extremely stable to the point where just about anyone can put together a stable HTPC without a lot of effort. That's not to say you still won't have issues, but chances are they'll be fewer and farther between than using systems from several years ago.

HTPCs are a hobby, not an appliance. If you want a security blanket, get a Tivo. If you like to tinker and enjoy the satisfaction of building something yourself that works amazingly well, consider an HTPC. It's up to the individual to decide what's important to them.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 07-26-2012 at 08:20 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #37
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Jeez Louise, why does every post of yours turn into a tout about how great HTPCs are, no matter what else anyone says about possible issues with WMC?

We get it.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #38
innocentfreak

Quote:
Jeez Louise, why does every post of yours turn into a tout about how great HTPCs are, no matter what else anyone says about possible issues with WMC?

We get it.
I just put him on ignore. He doesn't have a TiVo and just trolls here.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #39
mr.unnatural

Actually, I've got quite a few Tivos. I just don't use them anymore.

FYI, if you don't like my posts I don't see anyone forcing you to read them.

What's funny is that these forums are full of people complaining about problems with Tivos. You guys are raving about how great Tivos are and ignoring the issues you have with your own hardware and software. When an alternative solution is mentioned all the Tivo fanboys jump on the bandwagon and trash it. In case you hadn't noticed, this thread is about the OP ditching Tivo in favor of an HTPC. My posts have been in keeping with the original topic.

The point is that anything electronic has issues from time to time. Some people have Tivos that work, others don't. Same goes for HTPCs. You use whatever suits your fancy.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 07-26-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #40
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:

We get it.
At least he admits that HTPCs are really just for tinkerers. If he'd put that disclaimer on every post we'd have fewer issues.

Then again, anyone foolish enough to want another Windows PC in their life deserves to have another Windows PC in their life so at least he's helping to meet out just punishment for fools.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #41
mr.unnatural

Congrats! You just referred to about 95% of the forum membership as fools. If I put the disclaimer in every post then you guys would be griping that I'm being too repetitive. Like it or not, Windows PCs are here to stay. The vast majority of the population uses them and virtually every large business uses them, regardless of what you think about them. I'm no fan of anything Microsoft but I have to admit that Windows 7 is the best thing that's come out of Redmond in decades. It's more stable than any version I've used in the past. Media Center is just icing on the cake.

I use a Windows PC every day at work. I've also used Unix workstations, Linux-based systems, and Macs. Frankly, a Windows PC does everything I need it to and I rarely have issues with them. I've been using the same Windows PC at home for years without so much as a single glitch that was software related. I've also got a Hackintosh that I built that I haven't even turned on in over a year. I stick with my Windows PC because it's what I'm used to, same as you guys are with your Tivos. It's just something that resides within your comfort zone.

I'd be curious to know what impact Win 7 with Media Center has on Tivo's subscriber numbers based on this article. Tivo's subscriber base has apparently shrunk from a peak of 4.36 million in January of 2006 to a level of 1.93 million as of July 2011. Sounds to me like there aren't as many happy Tivo customers as there used to be.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 07-27-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #42
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Congrats! You just referred to about 95% of the forum membership as fools.
Nah, I give them the benefit of a doubt and assume that many of those who have one really don't want another.

Not entirely square
Old 07-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

I definitely want another. I will certainly be upgrading at least four of my systems to Windows 8.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #44
tootal2

I just got my second ceton card installed in a second computer. now i just need a ceton echo for my bedroom.

There is one thing i like about wmc is watching the olympics in fast forward with sound.

on thing i dont like about wmc is the power use. my computer uses 100watts recording shows and upto 600 watts when playing games.
but its hibernates about 10 hours aday.
tootal2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #45
emphasis

b

bye and good luck
emphasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #46
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
Nah, I give them the benefit of a doubt and assume that many of those who have one really don't want another.
Let me guess. You own a Mac, right? If that's the case then it's no wonder you don't have a problem paying outrageous fees for proprietary hardware and software with little or no upgradeability. Nice computers, but completely overpriced and overhyped.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 07-30-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #47
mattack

You don't know what you're talking about.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #48
tootal2

You forgot macs are also bad at gaming.

Quote:
Let me guess. You own a Mac, right? If that's the case then it's no wonder you don't have a problem paying outrageous fees for proprietary hardware and software with little or no upgradeability. Nice computers, but completely overpriced and overhyped.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #49
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Nope, Linux. The only Apple product I've ever purchased was a refurb iPod to run Rockbox. But I don't disagree that Apple products would probably be better for most consumers than Windows PCs.

A MS advocate complaining about Apple's proprietary hardware and software is very much a pot/kettle scenario.

Not entirely square
Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #50
tootal2

Gamers do not use macs! I used redhat fedroa linux for about a year before windows 7 came out. and i like windows 7 a lot better. I did think that cube thing was kind of neat in linux.

Quote:
Nope, Linux. The only Apple product I've ever purchased was a refurb iPod to run Rockbox. But I don't disagree that Apple products would probably be better for most consumers than Windows PCs.

A MS advocate complaining about Apple's proprietary hardware and software is very much a pot/kettle scenario.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #51
mr.unnatural

Quote:

Who you calling a MS advocate? I can't stand Microsoft, regardless of what I think about Windows 7 and Media Center. I also don't like any company that hamstrings the consumer with a system that only allows the use of hardware and software they provide at ridiculous prices. I use Windows because it's what I'm used to and it also allows me a lot more choices.

Linux would have been my next guess. You're still somewhat restricted by hardware and software choices unless you know how to write your own drivers. Still, it's a bit more flexible in some ways than the Mac OS.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #52
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You don't know what you're talking about.
Really? Last time I checked I couldn't just buy a new motherboard, CPU, and memory from Newegg to upgrade a Mac to the latest and greatest. It requires purchasing an entirely new Mac. I can rejuvenate my PC with a minimal investment of only $200-300 whereas a new Mac would probably cost at least 5-6 times that.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #53
dan0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I definitely want another. I will certainly be upgrading at least four of my systems to Windows 8.
I hope you dont use windows media center
Quote:
News is circulating around the Internet that Microsoft is taking Windows Media Center out of Windows 8 and offering it as a separate paid add-on for Windows 8 Pro users. Many are not happy about the decision.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/25662...e_preview.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/25506...windows_8.html
http://pcper.com/news/General-Tech/W...ture-Windows-8
dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #54
aaronwt
HD Addict

No I don't use WMC. I used it some a long time ago with XP but that was it.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #55
mr.unnatural

Microsoft will be offering Windows 8 Professional as an upgrade for $39.99 through January 31 of 2013 and will be including Media Center as a free download. The fact that many people are not happy about the decision indicates the popularity of Media Center among enthusiasts. Sadly, this is so typical of Microsoft to abandon a product that many consumers have embraced.

Considering that Windows 7 should be around for at least another 7-8 years and probably longer there's no reason to panic about the loss of Media Center. Chances are at least one third party software developer will bite the bullet and get certified by CableLabs to support the various tuners currently available.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 08-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #56
tootal2

Its going to cost 39.99 to upgrade to windows 8 with windows media center included. you have upgrade online to get this deal.

you can even upgrade xp to windows 8 for 39.99.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #57
mr.unnatural

You have the option to install from the website or download the files to your PC so you can burn it to a DVD or put it on a flash drive and install it from there. I believe they provide instructions for installing from a flash drive.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #58
lrhorer

Quote:
Desktop PCs aren't going anywhere.
Yeah, by definition...and by the same definition laptops are designed to go everywhere!!!

'Sorry, I just couldn't resist. The target was just too easy.

Quote:
Laptops aren't practical for many purposes
Frankly, I consider laptops impractical for almost any use. They make unacceptable compromises to accomplish unnecessary things.

Quote:
and tablets have limited uses.
They do? I find it hard to think of any use for a tablet, "use" being defined as "something I would ever want to do".

'An exaggeration, of course, but not by much. They do make pretty good book readers, but my Kindle makes a better one for one whole heck of a lot less money.

Quote:
Desktops are less expensive and easier to maintain and upgrade.
Faster, more powerful, more storage, more flexible, support a vastly greater number of peripherals, have a screen that is actually usable, are practical to use for controlling external devices, are vastly more ergonomic, support multiple optical drives, are far, far less fail, are practical for use in a RAID system, are harder to steal and essentially impossible to lose, stand up better to prolonged use...

Should I continue?

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-03-2012 at 12:56 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #59
lrhorer

Quote:
Unfortunately I am stuck with quite a few. I don't want any at all.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #60
lrhorer

Quote:
Linux would have been my next guess. You're still somewhat restricted by hardware and software choices
Not so much, really. Almost every Windows app has one or more Linux analogs. Many have ports for both. Most Windows apps will run directly under wine or dosbox. There are a few - very few - exceptions. Unfortunately VideoRedo is one. Some people have reportedly gotten it to run under wine, but I haven't. I have experienced far more intractable hardware problems with Windows (especially XP and Windows 7) than with Linux.

Quote:
unless you know how to write your own drivers.
I'm about a hair's breadth from being inclined to say no one who can't write a driver should be allowed anywhere near a PC. It would surely make my life a hell of a lot easier and less stressful. OTOH, one of the great beauties of Linux is the developers are almost all easily accessible, so one does not need to know how to write a program or driver one's self. With a Mac or Windows, if I have a problem I cannot fix myself, my only recourse is to either abandon the project or else wait forever on hold on the phone so I can pay a huge amount of money to speak to some flunky who knows less about the PC than my dog... and then abandon the project. If I have a problem with a Linux app, I either submit a bug report using reportbug, or fire off an email to the mail list, or else fire off an email to the primary developer.

Quote:
Still, it's a bit more flexible in some ways than the Mac OS.
And both are obscenely rigid compared to Linux. IMO - and this time I am not kidding - I think it should be illegal to distribute any software that is not open source.