TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
steffen707

Program info runs out even with successful download?

I have a tivo HD, i moded it once with a 1TB drive, and then again with a 2TB drive. It has run very well for over a year now.

Over the past few months I've noticed that it has been giving me warnings that program info is running out. I go in and check and my tivo connected successfully within about a day of this warning. That just hasn't made any sense. If it connected successfully, wouldn't it have about 2 weeks of program info on it?

I rebooted the tivo once and that seemed to make the warning go away, but then in 2 weeks it came back. I checked and again said it was successful.

I just ignored it, then it went away on its own. The 3rd time i checked and it said failed, so i did a manual connect. Successful again, and in a few days the warning went away.

Well today it said it failed and gave an s03 error. I did some searching and found that most likely this is a hard drive issue. I "unfortunately" read that if you do a guided setup and change zipcodes this might fix it, well now i'm stuck in guided setup loop where it can't complete successfully, and if i pull the plug and reboot it goes right back to guided setup.

Any way to get it to stop going to guided setup?

I pulled the drive and read with dd_rescue I can copy the drive byte for byte, and its doing that right now. I bet it will take 20hours to complete. My 2nd question is, if it isn't able to recover these bad sectors that are causing the s03 error, will I just get the same errors? Is there a way for me to force tivo to reinstall the software with "kickstart"? Will I lose all of my recordings when i do get the software re-synced up?

Thanks guys.
steffen707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
steffen707

Oh, and does kickstart 54 just test the drive and then tell you if there are errors, or does it actually fix errors?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I'm pretty sure that kickstart 54 just does a test with no repair. I suggest that you pull the drive and run the manufacturer's long drive test on it. If it tests out ok, then try re-imaging it.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I should have added that my understanding of the S03 error is that is a problem with the data and not the kernal. I'm about to get an S2 box that has that problem so I'll probably get a better understanding at that point. There is a kickstart code that lets you swap the kernal partitions so that it uses a previous version but I doubt that will help with the error you have.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
steffen707

I think after searching long enough I found lots of people with my problem on http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=472857

I have a tuning adapter and a cable card, and it appears that after so long something with the tuning adapter gets screwed up, and to get program info to index properly you have to unplug or power down the tuning adapter either 4 hours a week, or 4 hours a day.

unfortunately I didn't find all that info before a forum member suggested I change my zipcode in guided setup to try and get my s03 error to go away. now i'm stuck in the guided setup loop and have it error s03 every time, preventing me from watching any recorded shows, live tv, or trying any other remedies.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
lpwcomp

You might try a kickstart 57.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
steffen707

i wonder if kickstart 57 is going to get me out of the guided setup loop. I'm cloning the drive right now with dd_rescue, it should be done sometime tomorrow, then I should be able to try some things on the cloned drive without worrying about losing all my stuff.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
i wonder if kickstart 57 is going to get me out of the guided setup loop. I'm cloning the drive right now with dd_rescue, it should be done sometime tomorrow, then I should be able to try some things on the cloned drive without worrying about losing all my stuff.
As unitron sort of suggested in the other thread, you might first try removing the TA and seeing if it will complete guided setup. If it won't, then do the kickstart 57. Don't reattach the TA until it is back up and running with current guide data.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
steffen707

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
As unitron sort of suggested in the other thread, you might first try removing the TA and seeing if it will complete guided setup. If it won't, then do the kickstart 57. Don't reattach the TA until it is back up and running with current guide data.
I did try removing the TA and guided setup would not complete. I'm currently doing a dd_rescue of the drive to another 2TB i had laying around so I have a backup before I screw it up worse.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
steffen707

okay, dd finished, now i have a carbon copy of my guided setup boot looped drive. Say unitron, i read a post of yours on another thread, "
and try KS 0, 51, 52, and 56 in I have no idea which order, but at least the results might give clues.

When you do finally wind up taking the cover off (if it comes to that), hook the drive up to a computer and run WinMFS, select the drive, click on mfsinfo, see if it's set to boot from 2, 3, 4 or 5, 6, 7.

Then use the fix bootpage (or whatever it's called) to change that.

Option 1 will set it to boot from 234 and option 2 will set it to boot from 567, so choose whatever changes it from whatever it's set at.

Then click on mfsinfo again to confirm that it has changed.

Turn off the computer, put the drive back in the TiVo and see what happens.

Probably couldn't hurt to run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive while it's in the computer, either.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. "

You think the fix bootpage on winmsf could get me out of boot loop?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
okay, dd finished, now i have a carbon copy of my guided setup boot looped drive. Say unitron, i read a post of yours on another thread, "
and try KS 0, 51, 52, and 56 in I have no idea which order, but at least the results might give clues.

When you do finally wind up taking the cover off (if it comes to that), hook the drive up to a computer and run WinMFS, select the drive, click on mfsinfo, see if it's set to boot from 2, 3, 4 or 5, 6, 7.

Then use the fix bootpage (or whatever it's called) to change that.

Option 1 will set it to boot from 234 and option 2 will set it to boot from 567, so choose whatever changes it from whatever it's set at.

Then click on mfsinfo again to confirm that it has changed.

Turn off the computer, put the drive back in the TiVo and see what happens.

Probably couldn't hurt to run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive while it's in the computer, either.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. "

You think the fix bootpage on winmsf could get me out of boot loop?
That first line makes me think it was a while ago that I wrote that post.

You say it forces you into Guided Setup.

That's not a boot loop. A boot loop would be where the first image (welcome) comes on the screen, and then just about when you expect it to turn things over to the hard drive and put the second image (just a few more minutes) on the screen, it sort of hiccups and goes back to the beginning.

How far do you get in Guided Setup, and what happens then?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
steffen707

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That first line makes me think it was a while ago that I wrote that post.

You say it forces you into Guided Setup.

That's not a boot loop. A boot loop would be where the first image (welcome) comes on the screen, and then just about when you expect it to turn things over to the hard drive and put the second image (just a few more minutes) on the screen, it sort of hiccups and goes back to the beginning.

How far do you get in Guided Setup, and what happens then?
sorry boot loop the wrong terminology, what happens is when i plug the tivo into power it boots up and goes right to guided setup, i have tried selecting cable, i've tried antenna and either way it gets all the way to loading, and then before it shows any percentages, it just shows an s03 error.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
sorry boot loop the wrong terminology, what happens is when i plug the tivo into power it boots up and goes right to guided setup, i have tried selecting cable, i've tried antenna and either way it gets all the way to loading, and then before it shows any percentages, it just shows an s03 error.
So it actually contacts TiVo via phone or internet, says it's preparing, then says it's connecting, then says it's downloading, then says it's disconnected and then goes to the bottom of the list where it should tell you what percentage of the data it has loaded so far, and that's when it fails?

Does it say s03 on that same screen, or put up a new one?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
steffen707

Quote:
So it actually contacts TiVo via phone or internet, says it's preparing, then says it's connecting, then says it's downloading, then says it's disconnected and then goes to the bottom of the list where it should tell you what percentage of the data it has loaded so far, and that's when it fails?

Does it say s03 on that same screen, or put up a new one?
Yep, it does all of that, and actually on the same line where it would say loading and the percentage, it then says error s03.

It doesn't go to a new screen to say s03. Then it makes you go back and try the guided setup again, can't find any way to skip it. I did read on tivo.com though, http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/311 "NOTE: If the box is in Guided Setup, press the following sequence of buttons on the TiVo remote to display the software version: THUMBS UP, then THUMBS DOWN, then PAUSE and then PLAY. To resume Guided Setup at the point you left off, press SELECT."

If there is a hidden sequence in guided setup to show the software version, I wonder if a Tech at tivo knows a hidden sequence to get out of guided setup alltogether.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Yep, it does all of that, and actually on the same line where it would say loading and the percentage, it then says error s03.

It doesn't go to a new screen to say s03. Then it makes you go back and try the guided setup again, can't find any way to skip it. I did read on tivo.com though, http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/311 "NOTE: If the box is in Guided Setup, press the following sequence of buttons on the TiVo remote to display the software version: THUMBS UP, then THUMBS DOWN, then PAUSE and then PLAY. To resume Guided Setup at the point you left off, press SELECT."

If there is a hidden sequence in guided setup to show the software version, I wonder if a Tech at tivo knows a hidden sequence to get out of guided setup alltogether.
That's a new one on me.

Is the TiVo contacting the mothership via internet or telephone line?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #16
steffen707

Quote:
That's a new one on me.

Is the TiVo contacting the mothership via internet or telephone line?
Via internet.

Also, i know my internet connection is fine, because after I put the original 160 gig drive back into tivo and fired it up, it was able to complete guided setup, (for the first time as i upgraded the drive to a 1TB drive immediately after I got the tivo HD box home from the store years ago.)
Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 AM   #17
steffen707

i also found on this link http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/..._id/567/kw/s03

"If your TiVo box experiences service connection failure after it has downloaded data, one of the following messages will display:

Service connection failed while expanding (S01, S301, or D01)
Service connection failed while preparing (S02, S302, or D02)
Service connection failed while loading (S03, S303, or D03)
Service connection failed while indexing (S04, S304, or D04)
NOTE: The error code displayed is determined by the software version on your TiVo box.

When you receive one of these errors, disconnect the box from the phone or network and let it run for 2 to 3 days without making a service call. This will allow the box to process its existing data and allow access to new data from the service.

If the error persists, contact TiVo Customer support for assistance."
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #18
tootal2

I found that after i ran the guided setup and got stuck in the so3 setup loop.
but i did a clean and delete everything the second time it happen and it fixed it.

The s03 error was anther reason i went to wmc with a ceton cable card.
Stuff is a alot easyer to fix on a computer

Quote:

"If your TiVo box experiences service connection failure after it has downloaded data, one of the following messages will display:

NOTE: The error code displayed is determined by the software version on your TiVo box.

When you receive one of these errors, disconnect the box from the phone or network and let it run for 2 to 3 days without making a service call. This will allow the box to process its existing data and allow access to new data from the service.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #19
tootal2

You can not clone a drive with it stuck in the loop. you will only clone the loop. You need a working drive image.

i have a image of my tivo saved but dont know if it will work on your tivo.
its a 652 image for a tivo hd.

Quote:

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:

I don't that is applicable to your current situation except to tell you where in the process it encountered the problem. Maybe if you had done the 2-3 day disconnect prior to redoing guided setup, but it's too late for that now. It's not going "process its existing data" while it's in the middle of guided setup.

If the kickstart 57/58 fails, you'll probably have to re-image the drive. Do you still have the original 160GB drive?

You might want to run the mfr diagnostics on the "bad" drive to see if there is a h/w problem.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:50 AM   #21
unitron

[quote=lpwcomp;9207458]... It's not going "process its existing data" while it's in the middle of guided setup.../QUOTE]

It would seem unlikely, but before I gave up on a bunch of recordings I want to save, I'd let it run for a few days, just in case, as there are things about the TiVo not revealed to us mere mortals.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
steffen707

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
You can not clone a drive with it stuck in the loop. you will only clone the loop. You need a working drive image.

i have a image of my tivo saved but dont know if it will work on your tivo.
its a 652 image for a tivo hd.
I know if I clone a drive stuck in guided setup that the clone will also be stuck in guided setup, but it allows me to try things to get out of guided setup without jeapordizing the the first drive.

I still have the original 160gig drive that works just fine in the tivo and I can always re-image one of my 2TB drives with that drive; however, I want to try and get out of guided setup s03 and save all my downloaded programs.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
steffen707

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp;9207458It's not going "process its existing data" while it's in the middle of guided setup.

If the kickstart 57/58 fails, you'll [I
probably[/i] have to re-image the drive. Do you still have the original 160GB drive?

You might want to run the mfr diagnostics on the "bad" drive to see if there is a h/w problem.
Maybe i'll luck out and it still will process the existing data. I'll try letting it run for 2-3 days after i try "fix bootpage". Perhaps that will work.

I already tried kickstart 57/58 and that failed, causing me to redo the dd_rescue of the drive for a 2nd time last night. I have also done the mfr diagnostics on the bad drive, and it passed every test that doesn't wipe the data.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
steffen707

[quote=unitron;9207459]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
... It's not going "process its existing data" while it's in the middle of guided setup.../QUOTE]

It would seem unlikely, but before I gave up on a bunch of recordings I want to save, I'd let it run for a few days, just in case, as there are things about the TiVo not revealed to us mere mortals.
Yep, that's what i'm thinking about trying unitron. Do i need the tivo to be plugged into the coax cable, or would just having it be plugged into a wall outlet be enough to let it "process its existing data"?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
steffen707

okay dd_rescue has finished a 2nd time, i then did fix bootpage option 1, trying it in tivo now, if that doesn't work i'll try fixbootpage option 2, if that doesn't work i'll do a backup bootpage of the original 160gig and restore it onto the "bad" drive and report back.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #26
steffen707

crap, that didn't work either

any other things I should try before I just let it sit without the tuning adapter or the ethernet plugged in for 3 days then try to complete guided setup?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
steffen707

Well I let tivo sit on guided setup for 3 days without the tuning adapter or the ethernet plugged in, still s03 error.

I just wiped the 2TB drive and used jmfs tools to copy the original 160gig, expand it, then supersize with winmfs.

Its loading now. Probably should have setup all my season passes on the 160gig and then copied it, but i was eager to get things rolling. I think once I get it all done on the 2tb I will make a duplicate of this drive.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #28
RedWingsRULE!
306hrSA 318hrHD

2TB worthless

I gave up on the 2TB and went back to the 1TB after I could not fix the season pass and search not working. I bought another HD with lifetime on eBay and put a 1TB in that one too. So now I have the 2TB space and 4 channels can record at once and the 2TB is in my PC for transferring recordings and editing. The only downside is another $3/mo for the 2nd cable card.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #29
Maglizrd

I really REALLY wish I had found this thread before I found a different one that suggested rerunning guided setup to try to clear the s03 error. Mine was acting exactly as described here, and I made the exact same mistake.
Maglizrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #30
steffen707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maglizrd View Post
I really REALLY wish I had found this thread before I found a different one that suggested rerunning guided setup to try to clear the s03 error. Mine was acting exactly as described here, and I made the exact same mistake.
That sucks Maglizrd. I did the same thing. If you read all my posts, i tried basically everything possible, and you're just screwed. You'll lose your shows and season passes; however, if you log into tivo.com and go to your season passes it will list all the ones you have. I did this and wrote down all of them. That way i didn't have to try to remember each of them. Saved a bit of time. Do you have your original drive?