TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
emphasis

Desktop Software + tech assistance required

I used desktop plus for sometime on Tivo HD Model TCD652160 without problems. Then little by little it did not perform properly. Finally it no longer worked. After many months and hours and hours on phone with Tivo support, TIVO replaced my device with a Model Premeire TCD 746320. After setup and re installing desktop plus, there was no change.

It has been almost a year since this was reported and Tivo's most recent response was "try a non-supported tivo alternative software.!

I primarily use the software for transferring video files and photos FROM my computer TO tivo device. When one gos to My Shows or Videos and Photos, one should see a line showing 'xyz' 's PC or 'xyz' PC Photos or Music. (or similar. I get nothing. It does not display my PC on the net work. We have tested the network and it is fine. There are no other problems with my computer (windows 7 Office, AMD 64.

Frankly I previously attempted to install pyTivo but was not successful. I recently tried again and had the same result. I did install the Pyrhon software, but am lost with how to install the pyTivo. I've tried manually, self-installeres, etc etc. There just seems to be so much technical out there I find it confusing.

Any suggestions, help,comments welcomed.

Jerry
emphasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

You already posted this in the Premiere forum ... and it belongs there since you have a Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emphasis View Post
I used desktop plus for sometime on Tivo HD Model TCD652160 without problems. Then little by little it did not perform properly. Finally it no longer worked. After many months and hours and hours on phone with Tivo support, TIVO replaced my device with a Model Premeire TCD 746320. After setup and re installing desktop plus, there was no change.

It has been almost a year since this was reported and Tivo's most recent response was "try a non-supported tivo alternative software.!

I primarily use the software for transferring video files and photos FROM my computer TO tivo device. When one gos to My Shows or Videos and Photos, one should see a line showing 'xyz' 's PC or 'xyz' PC Photos or Music. (or similar. I get nothing. It does not display my PC on the net work. We have tested the network and it is fine. There are no other problems with my computer (windows 7 Office, AMD 64.

Frankly I previously attempted to install pyTivo but was not successful. I recently tried again and had the same result. I did install the Pyrhon software, but am lost with how to install the pyTivo. I've tried manually, self-installeres, etc etc. There just seems to be so much technical out there I find it confusing.

Any suggestions, help,comments welcomed.

Jerry
Can you ping the TiVo from the computer running TD?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
emphasis

Ping

Thanks Unitron. Sounds like a good idea. How would i do this?
Pretty sure I know the ping command, but where would I find the address for the tivo device.

Jerry
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emphasis View Post
Thanks Unitron. Sounds like a good idea. How would i do this?
Pretty sure I know the ping command, but where would I find the address for the tivo device.

Jerry
You should already have given the TiVo, and everything else on your home network that doesn't travel, a fixed IP address, but for now go into network and phone settings and it should say at the top of the page.

For example, I'm looking at an S2's menu's network settings page just now (my HD's in another room), and I would click on (on the computer) Start, then Run, then in the box where you type in commands, put

ping 192.168.1.202

and hit Enter or click OK

just to see if the TiVo can be seen on the network, and that will give me a bit of info I didn't have before.

TiVo Desktop does seem to perform less well at some times than at others, and I have uninstalled it and run the cleaner and then re-installed before when it got particularly bad, with lots of rebooting everything on the network to go with it.

192.168.1.202 is the IP I assigned to that TiVo myself. If I'd left it up to the router's DHCP function, the number after the last dot would probably be lower, depending on the DHCP settings of the router.

In my case I set its pool of addresses available to hand out via DHCP to start at 192.168.1.250 and limit the number to 5, so there's no conflict with any of the other stuff on my network if I ever need to attach anything via DHCP.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Five addresses for DHCP? That's way, way too low. These days every little thing has wifi and will need an address. I anything you'd want to have a range of at least 32. While there's no harm in having too many addresses, it can cause quite a lot of hassle having too few.

But otherwise, yes, it's also advisable to have all devices on fixed addresses. This can be either by setting static addresses on each of them, or setting up a reservation for each device's network hardware address. Many newer soho routers have this feature.

I generally find it useful to set machines up with static addresses starting around .10 and running up to .100. I then set up DHCP to issue from 101 to 201. This has worked quite reliably for decades now.

Just be SURE not use the 192.168.1.x/24 range. Choose anything else, like 192.168.99.x or whatever. As more things interconnect the chance you'll run into another network on the 1.x subnet becomes pretty likely.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Five addresses for DHCP? That's way, way too low. These days every little thing has wifi and will need an address. I anything you'd want to have a range of at least 32. While there's no harm in having too many addresses, it can cause quite a lot of hassle having too few.

But otherwise, yes, it's also advisable to have all devices on fixed addresses. This can be either by setting static addresses on each of them, or setting up a reservation for each device's network hardware address. Many newer soho routers have this feature.

I generally find it useful to set machines up with static addresses starting around .10 and running up to .100. I then set up DHCP to issue from 101 to 201. This has worked quite reliably for decades now.

Just be SURE not use the 192.168.1.x/24 range. Choose anything else, like 192.168.99.x or whatever. As more things interconnect the chance you'll run into another network on the 1.x subnet becomes pretty likely.
5 is about 4 more than I need.

It only needs DHCP if it leaves the house and connects to some other network regularly.

If you start at x.x.x.254, you can always lower that last number to increase the DHCP pool.

On the other end of things you can start with the router address and assign fixed IP addresses in increments of 1, and have lots of room before fixed and dynamic bump into each other.

If the router's wireless, you don't broadcast the SSID, and you only reveal it to devices you trust to be on your network.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
emphasis

ping results

Unitron - thanks for reply. I followed your instructions and the ping to the tivo's ip was successful.

the tivo just does not display my computer for videos, music or photos. It USED to, so I know what to look for.

any advice

Jerry
Old 07-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
windracer
joined the 10k club

Did you check your TiVo Beacon/Bonjour settings in TiVo Desktop like I suggested in your other thread?

|
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
emphasis

settings

yes beacon and tivo beacon server settings are correct
Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
windracer
joined the 10k club

Are you running any firewall or antivirus software on your PC that might be preventing the TiVo from seeing your PC?

Or maybe your router is blocking the Bonjour traffic? If you can get into the web-based administration GUI for your router, check for things like "multicast pass-thru."

Another thing to try: can you access the web-based Now Playing List of your TiVo? Point your browser to https://{your TiVo's IP address} and login with a username of 'tivo' and your MAK (media access key) as the password.

|