TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
myxpykalix

Tivo and Ipad

Ok i'm not sure exactly where to ask this so here goes...

I'm going on a trip and thinking about buying and Ipad (the newest version) because what i'd like to do is transfer several movies to watch as i travel on this ipad and i'm not sure if i can do that and how? Is that a Tivo2Go function? How would i hook up the ipad to my tivo or pc to transfer the files?

I'm thinking i'd get the 32 or 64 gig model but how big in gigs is an average 1 hour show? Do you have any links to specific info? thanks

oh i have a premiere tivo and also can i record netfilx movies to the tivo or ipad?
myxpykalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You cannot record Netflix, but you can watch with a Netflix app, but it needs an internet connection, mostly wireless.

There is also a Tivo app, but it does not store the show on the iPad.

Mostly, its streamed, over the internet for Netflix, and within a private network for Tivo.

(I am writing this on an iPad.)

You can transfer shows to a computer, using KMTTG, decode, then encode to iPad (.mp4) form, transfer to iPad through iTunes.

Size is about 6-8 Gb per hour, but .mp4 is smaller.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 07-31-2012 at 04:46 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

Keep in mind you won't be able to transfer any copy-protected shows, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
rhettf
R3T1CAL

I would recommend investing in a Slingbox - I have been traveling in Europe for 2 and a half weeks now and it works great as long as your on WiFi. You would be nuts to use international roaming unless your made of money.

The Slingbox + iPad App will run you $330 ( $299 for the box + 30 for the App) but you will never have to pay a subscription fee. Since its streaming the size of the iPad doesn't matter.

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd

Downloading and converting shows can be a pain IMHO. Its really nice to just connect and watch whatever you recorded whenever you want. I just connected to watch the latest Episode of Destination Truth. The slingbox does great with low bandwidth connections as well.

P.S. The Slingbox also works great for watching TV in another room on your ipad without buying a new TV/Cablebox. When I am at home I use it to watch TV while in the kitchen cooking or doing dishes. By using a simple mount you can have it at eye level.

I use this one by Griffin: http://store.griffintechnology.com/cabinet-mount-ipad

Last edited by rhettf : 08-02-2012 at 11:48 AM.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote