TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
w2jo

DVRupgrade.com's INSTANTCAKE is out of date

I recently purchased "the latest" circa 2007 InstantCake upgrade package for my Tivo Series 3 from DVRupgrade.com. I read (going in) that a) there was NO PRODUCT SUPPORT of any kind available and b) NO REFUNDS. OK says I, but last time I tried it, it worked fine so likely with my computer experience, I can make it work. OOPS!!! That did not turn out to be so.

The program was designed for OLDER PCs where there were a) PATA drive ports and b) (apparently) just two SATA ports. None of my four PCs now meet that criteria. I tried it on three computers, two with multiple (6 and 8) SATA ports and on a 2009 HP laptop using a USB to SATA adapter. In none of these configurations could InstantCake identify and connect to the DESTINATION SATA port (or USB port) so as to be able to write the InstantCake Tivo package to the destination 1TB drive.

It was true! ABSOLUTELY ZERO support was available from DVRupgrade and no refund was available either! Let the buyer be AWARE!

Finally, in despairation, I went to this and other Tivo forums and found the program KNOPPIX at http://www.bumwine.com/tivo.html and it worked beautifully. I did not need the InstantCake image, but just used the original Tivo Image from the original OEM drive from Tivo.

http://www.bumwine.com/tivo.html speaks of http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/ which is supposedly even easier to use, but I did not try that one out.

I tried to publish this information on the DVRupgrade.com website, but they would not allow these comments on their website. I can understand why. It seems to me that DVRupgrade.com needs to have their InstantCake program updated to work with modern computers OR quit selling it.
w2jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The only reason to buy InstantCake is if you don't have an image. If you need the software to install an image on a disk, MFSLive is free. You can use it with the IC image. Given that all the TiVos for IC used PATA disks there would be no point to SATA support. USB, though, is another matter.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Given that all the TiVos for IC used PATA disks there would be no point to SATA support.
That is incorrect. Series 3 use SATA disks and instantcake for a Series 3 is supposed to work with SATA disks and even a SATA CD-ROM, at least according to the instructions here.

Even if the price were still $20, instantcake wouldn't be worth the price. At $40 it is a complete ripoff.

Having said that, it should have worked. I guess the point is moot, but I would be interested to know exactly what you did.

When I replaced my dying 160GB drive in my TiVO HD with a !TB, I used WinMFS.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
The only reason to buy InstantCake is if you don't have an image. If you need the software to install an image on a disk, MFSLive is free. You can use it with the IC image. Given that all the TiVos for IC used PATA disks there would be no point to SATA support. USB, though, is another matter.
Even if I didn't have an image, I wouldn't use IC as there is another option that I would prefer: DVR_DUDE sells plug-in upgrade drives (just google "ebay dvr_dude"). $145 for 1 TB and $200 for 2 TB. Then subtract the $40 you save by not buying IC, then subtract whatever you think your time and aggravation dealing with IC would be worth.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Yes, free images here on the forum and free tools on MFSlive.org. That being said, the image on the Instantcake will still be good (though an old factory version) and can be transferred to a flashdrive following directions here: http://www.dvrupgrade.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1734

Once you mount the flashdrive with the image, you can use a USB to SATA adapter cable to do the imaging. I've done this just to prove it works but normally I use WinMFS and my USB adapter cable.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
unitron

dvrupgrade may be a sponsor of TCF, but selling an S3 image IC disk that is incapable of installing that image is not only inexcusable but prima facia evidence that whoever's minding the store doesn't really know what they're doing, or worse, doesn't care.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
dvrupgrade may be a sponsor of TCF, but selling an S3 image IC disk that is incapable of installing that image is not only inexcusable but prima facia evidence that whoever's minding the store doesn't really know what they're doing, or worse, doesn't care.
I don't think they care. Makes me question the other stuff they sell on the website.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I don't think they care. Makes me question the other stuff they sell on the website.
Last I heard DvrUpgrade and Weaknees are the same people. If that's correct then you guys are badmouthing weaknees also (??).

and
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
farmermac
Super user

I know I'd be calling my cc company about this purchase
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Last I heard DvrUpgrade and Weaknees are the same people. If that's correct then you guys are badmouthing weaknees also (??).
There has been speculation that Weaknees absorbed/bought out/took over dvrupgrade, but I don't know of any official announcement or acknowledgement.

You'd think they'd be able to do better with it than just operate it in zombie mode.

It's like someone not really familiar with Instant Cake took the main package and just substituted an S3 image where an S1 or S2 used to go and didn't bother to do anything about the part wrapped around that, the whole "boot and load an OS" installer package, having been written to only work with IDE devices, and only in a certain configuration (something about which one the cd drive has to be and which one the target hard drive has to be).

Last edited by unitron : 07-23-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: a hideous spelling error
Old 07-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Even if I didn't have an image, I wouldn't use IC as there is another option that I would prefer: DVR_DUDE sells plug-in upgrade drives (just google "ebay dvr_dude"). $145 for 1 TB and $200 for 2 TB. Then subtract the $40 you save by not buying IC, then subtract whatever you think your time and aggravation dealing with IC would be worth.

My thoughts exactly...

Very happy with the 2TB dvr_Dude drive in my OLED S3.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
billbillw

Chances are, you simply needed to change a BIOS setting for Instant Cake to find your drive. I used it a couple years back (with my very modern PC with 6+ SATA ports) with no issues. If I recall, you need to set the SATA mode to IDE instead of ACHI or RAID.

BTW, at that time, I had no good image to clone for the new drive. My original drive image was corrupt. Instant Cake was the easiest method. I should also mention that I managed to get a free copy of Instant Cake, so the $40 wasn't an issue.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
Chances are, you simply needed to change a BIOS setting for Instant Cake to find your drive. I used it a couple years back (with my very modern PC with 6+ SATA ports) with no issues. If I recall, you need to set the SATA mode to IDE instead of ACHI or RAID.

BTW, at that time, I had no good image to clone for the new drive. My original drive image was corrupt. Instant Cake was the easiest method. I should also mention that I managed to get a free copy of Instant Cake, so the $40 wasn't an issue.
Well that should be a lesson to all of us:
1. Be a computer expert.
2. Get your commercially-sold software for free.
I'll take back item 1 if the IC software comes with instructions about the BIOS setting.

and
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
mattack

jmfs is very easy too, works for Tivo HD and above, AFAIK. (Definitely doesn't work for original S3..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
shadowplay0918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
My thoughts exactly...

Very happy with the 2TB dvr_Dude drive in my OLED S3.
I used dvr_dude as well on my 3rd THD and using dvr expanders on the 1st 2...wish all 3 had larger internals...
shadowplay0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
jmfs is very easy too, works for Tivo HD and above, AFAIK. (Definitely doesn't work for original S3..)
Except that you have to use WinMFS to Supersize a THD or THD XL drive. So, for any Series 3, I would recommend using WinMFS exclusively unless you are going with a drive larger than 1TB.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
haidawei

I used Instant Cake last night (did not have an original image) and ran into the same problem (PATA vs. SATA). I was able to find the solution online. You need to edit some information and add a script. Once I did that, everything worked smoothly to get the Tivo back up and running.
haidawei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #18
w2jo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That is incorrect. Series 3 use SATA disks and instantcake for a Series 3 is supposed to work with SATA disks and even a SATA CD-ROM, at least according to the instructions here.

Even if the price were still $20, instantcake wouldn't be worth the price. At $40 it is a complete ripoff.

Having said that, it should have worked. I guess the point is moot, but I would be interested to know exactly what you did.

When I replaced my dying 160GB drive in my TiVO HD with a !TB, I used WinMFS.
==================================
Where I had the problem with INSTANT CAKE was when it came time to IDENTIFY the various hard drives so as to transfer the InstantCake image. I set up the first two computers with ONLY two drives. The CD drive was on SATA1. I plugged the USB Flash drive with the IC image in and identified that port (I think) as sdb. I set these up in the Bios so I could boot from the CDROM drive and that all worked fine. I then had the NEW 1TB HDD on SATA2. Unfortunately, Instant Cake was unable to find (or at least write to) the sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, which were the ports which KNOPPIX indicated were the potential SATA ports of interest.

When I switched to KNOPPIX to transfer the old Tivo Disk Image over, it identified all the ports properly and the transfer went along without a hitch.

So.. My suggestion is that InstantCake needs to be updated so it is able to properly identify ports on MODERN computers and not just those that have two PATA ports and two SATA ports. Reports are that such two PATA and two SATA port computers work fine and that is what I had in 2006 when I last used InstantCake successfully.
w2jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
mattack

Quote:
Except that you have to use WinMFS to Supersize a THD or THD XL drive. So, for any Series 3, I would recommend using WinMFS exclusively unless you are going with a drive larger than 1TB.
But you're basically always going to be using a drive over 1 TB nowadays...?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
But you're basically always going to be using a drive over 1 TB nowadays...?
That's probably true for most people, but not all. I used 1TB to replace my dying 160GB drive in a THD. Admittedly, that was a year ago, but if I had to do it today and I could get a 1TB drive for the same price or less, I would do the same thing.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #21
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
That's probably true for most people, but not all. I used 1TB to replace my dying 160GB drive in a THD. Admittedly, that was a year ago, but if I had to do it today and I could get a 1TB drive for the same price or less, I would do the same thing.
I agree. 1 TB is plenty for me. But since "more is always better" to most people, I know that is a minority viewpoint.

and
Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Excuse me if I'm just being stupid. I recently found a copy of Instant Cake laying around, yard sale or something, yeah yeah, yard sale. At any rate I looked at the contents of the disk and low an behold I see a GPL license and a license text indicating that IC can be distributed for free. True? If so, how do these guys get away with selling it?
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Excuse me if I'm just being stupid. I recently found a copy of Instant Cake laying around, yard sale or something, yeah yeah, yard sale. At any rate I looked at the contents of the disk and low an behold I see a GPL license and a license text indicating that IC can be distributed for free. True? If so, how do these guys get away with selling it?
I'm going to guess that only part of what's on that disc is GPL'ed, and that other parts, like the TiVo-specific software, are not, although I'd really like to know exactly what kind of deal they have in place with TiVo, Inc.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Even if something is GPLed, you can sell it.. you just have to provide source on demand (very simplistic explanation).

e.g. you could sell binaries for people who don't know how to build it for themselves.

(the other answer is probably right too -- presumably some of it isn't GPLed)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #25
lew

Quote:
There has been speculation that Weaknees absorbed/bought out/took over dvrupgrade, but I don't know of any official announcement or acknowledgement.
The physical address for both companies is the same.

The bottom of DVRUPGRADE'S home page says "in partnership with the Tivo Superstore" Clicking on the word tivo links to Weaknees site.

Lou stopped posting around the same time of the rumored merger/take over.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #26
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
The physical address for both companies is the same.

The bottom of DVRUPGRADE'S home page says "in partnership with the Tivo Superstore" Clicking on the word tivo links to Weaknees site.

Lou stopped posting around the same time of the rumored merger/take over.
Has customer service been maintained at the same sterling level?
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #27
rayik

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2jo View Post
==================================
Where I had the problem with INSTANT CAKE was when it came time to IDENTIFY the various hard drives so as to transfer the InstantCake image. I set up the first two computers with ONLY two drives. The CD drive was on SATA1. I plugged the USB Flash drive with the IC image in and identified that port (I think) as sdb. I set these up in the Bios so I could boot from the CDROM drive and that all worked fine. I then had the NEW 1TB HDD on SATA2. Unfortunately, Instant Cake was unable to find (or at least write to) the sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, which were the ports which KNOPPIX indicated were the potential SATA ports of interest.

When I switched to KNOPPIX to transfer the old Tivo Disk Image over, it identified all the ports properly and the transfer went along without a hitch.

So.. My suggestion is that InstantCake needs to be updated so it is able to properly identify ports on MODERN computers and not just those that have two PATA ports and two SATA ports. Reports are that such two PATA and two SATA port computers work fine and that is what I had in 2006 when I last used InstantCake successfully.
That is becasue the linux kernel on instantcake is an old one and does not have sata drivers. Thus, it will not recognize any device plugged into a SATA port.

A good strategy for preparing for the eventual day the hard drive goes bad, is to use WinMFS to make a backup of the hard drive that comes with the TIVO while it is still working properly. Thus, when the day comes that it dies, you already have the tivo image and can just throw it on a new hard drive. (If you are worried about warranty, just wait until the tivo goes out of warranty and then the next week make a backup image of the drive with WinMFS.)
rayik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #28
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayik View Post
That is becasue the linux kernel on instantcake is an old one and does not have sata drivers. Thus, it will not recognize any device plugged into a SATA port.

A good strategy for preparing for the eventual day the hard drive goes bad, is to use WinMFS to make a backup of the hard drive that comes with the TIVO while it is still working properly. Thus, when the day comes that it dies, you already have the tivo image and can just throw it on a new hard drive. (If you are worried about warranty, just wait until the tivo goes out of warranty and then the next week make a backup image of the drive with WinMFS.)
For $40 a pop, you'd think they could manage to update the kernal to include SATA drives.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayik View Post
That is becasue the linux kernel on instantcake is an old one and does not have sata drivers. Thus, it will not recognize any device plugged into a SATA port
I seriously doubt the accuracy of that statement. If it were true, DVRupgrade would be guilty of both civil and criminal fraud.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
For $40 a pop, you'd think they could manage to update the kernal to include SATA drives.
No doubt. I could accept the price hike if they actually updated their software, but it appears it was/is just a money grab.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote