TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #91
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
And I completely disagree with the proposition that the current writers are easily replaced. A lot of the genius in this show is the writing.
They are easily replaced because no one will know they have been. The quality may suffer, but there's no face to see. It's not like Dick York.
Mikeyis4dcats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #92
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats

They are easily replaced because no one will know they have been. The quality may suffer, but there's no face to see. It's not like Dick York.
Exactly. Writers are basically anonymous in Hollywood. I'll bet the majority of fans of this show wouldn't even notice if creators and showrunners Steve Levitan and Chris Lloyd were replaced.

That's not to say I don't recognize the value of good writers and showrunners. But most viewers don't.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #93
marksman
ID-10-T

One of my big issues is the salary demands made were not crazy and they could have negotiated a contract that would continue through the life of the show. I just think 20th Century took a weird and unnecessary stand here.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #94
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I disagree completely. The show isn't nearly as good as it was its first season, but it's still a ratings hit by today's standards and by now the characters are well established. You couldn't just swap out Ty Burrell for anyone else, either as a new "Phil" or as a new character, and expect people not to notice. This isn't the 1960s and this isn't I Dream of Jeannie.
Did you mean Bewitched?
It didn't hurt Roseanne or The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in the '90's.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #95
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
And I completely disagree with the proposition that the current writers are easily replaced. A lot of the genius in this show is the writing.
There was a sitcom I liked called "It's, Like, Y'Know". Hilarious writing. It vanished (during the writer's strike, I think) and I assumed it was dead, but over a year later, it came back as a mid-season replacement. They got the whole cast back, but I watched a couple episodes and it was just TERRIBLE. They'd lost all their writing talent and it showed. The show was quickly cancelled for good.

I've heard that "Breaking In" has recently had the same problem.....came back without the writers and suddenly sucks.

Dear networks: YES WE NOTICE when you can the off-screen talent.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #96
busyba
The Funcooker

True, but if you replaced the writers with writers of equal talent, you are unlikely to notice.

If you replace the actors with actors of equal talent, you'll probably notice anyway.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #97
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
There was a sitcom I liked called "It's, Like, Y'Know". Hilarious writing. It vanished (during the writer's strike, I think) and I assumed it was dead, but over a year later, it came back as a mid-season replacement. They got the whole cast back, but I watched a couple episodes and it was just TERRIBLE. They'd lost all their writing talent and it showed. The show was quickly cancelled for good.
Are you sure you got the title right and aren't confusing that with another show? "It's Like, You Know" aired years before the writer's strike, was not off the air for over a year, and never came back as a mid-season replacement. First season ended in May '99, and the second season premiered in Sep '99.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #98
LooseWiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Did you mean Bewitched?
Are you kidding? 2nd Becky made the show BETTER. She was hotter and 10x the actress the original was.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #99
jamesl

didn't 2nd Becky become Elliot from Scrubs ?
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #100
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Are you sure you got the title right and aren't confusing that with another show? "It's Like, You Know" aired years before the writer's strike, was not off the air for over a year, and never came back as a mid-season replacement. First season ended in May '99, and the second season premiered in Sep '99.
Okay....my dates were wrong and apparently the gap wasn't as long as I thought it was.

(Thanks for making me feel old, dude!)

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem

TiVolution!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #101
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla

Okay....my dates were wrong and apparently the gap wasn't as long as I thought it was.

(Thanks for making me feel old, dude!)
Heh. It made me feel old when I looked up the dates too. It doesn't feel like it should have been that long ago. I used to love that show!
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #102
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Did you mean Bewitched?
Aw, crap, you're totally right. Right premise (cute, quirky wife with supernatural abilities), wrong show.

And I think it's a stretch to compare minor supporting characters like one of Roseanne's daughters or Aunt Viv - both of whom would go episodes at a time without being seen/heard from - as being as front-and-center as one of the leads of MF, all of whom are in every episode.

Plus, I just think audiences nowadays would be upset by it, although I can't quite articulate why.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #103
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
didn't 2nd Becky become Elliot from Scrubs ?
Yes, yes she did.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #104
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Aw, crap, you're totally right. Right premise (cute, quirky wife with supernatural abilities), wrong show.

And I think it's a stretch to compare minor supporting characters like one of Roseanne's daughters or Aunt Viv - both of whom would go episodes at a time without being seen/heard from - as being as front-and-center as one of the leads of MF, all of whom are in every episode.

Plus, I just think audiences nowadays would be upset by it, although I can't quite articulate why.
Aunt Viv was absent in 20 of 147 episodes over 6 seasons.
Becky was only absent in 5 of 221 episodes over 9 seasons.
Compare those to your example, Bewitched, where Darrin was in 240 of 256 episodes over 8 seasons.
I think it's a stretch to think they are not comparable.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #105
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Aunt Viv was absent in 20 of 147 episodes over 6 seasons.
Becky was only absent in 5 of 221 episodes over 9 seasons.
Compare those to your example, Bewitched, where Darrin was in 240 of 256 episodes over 8 seasons.
I think it's a stretch to think they are not comparable.
If your best and most recent examples are shows that last aired 15 years ago, before the advent of the internet as we know it, including social media, blogging, etc., then I don't think your examples mean as much you think they do.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #106
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
If your best and most recent examples are shows that last aired 15 years ago, before the advent of the internet as we know it, including social media, blogging, etc., then I don't think your examples mean as much you think they do.
One cast member in Modern Family has already been replaced and I know I saw TiVo forum do the research to verify that their suspicions were correct and the actor was different.

TiVolution!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #107
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Of course, this reminds me of one of my all-time favorite College Bowl questions:

"This member of the Brady Bunch cast was hit by a car and died following filming of the first season and all subsequent appearance were assembled from stock footage. Who was this?"

Spoiler:
Tiger, the family dog.

TiVolution!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #108
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
One cast member in Modern Family has already been replaced and I know I saw TiVo forum do the research to verify that their suspicions were correct and the actor was different.
Are you talking about Lily? Yes, she was replaced because the parents of the twins that originally played her decided they didn't want their kids participating any longer. I don't think that required any TiVo forum research. It was pretty public knowledge.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #109
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Yeah. And everyone hates her.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #110
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Are you talking about Lily? Yes, she was replaced because the parents of the twins that originally played her decided they didn't want their kids participating any longer. I don't think that required any TiVo forum research. It was pretty public knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Yeah. And everyone hates her.
1) It was common knowledge (as has been pointed out)

2) It was a non-speaking part played by a toddler at first. Not exactly a leading role.

3) And yeah, she was the worst character on the show before the switch, and still is after the switch.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #111
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
3) And yeah, she was the worst character on the show before the switch, and still is after the switch.
I thought she was awesome before the switch. The unintentional comedy factor was through the roof. My friends turned it into a game; each week we'd have a pool to see who could guess closest to how many milligrams of vicodin she would be on for that episode.

New girl is just scary creepy.