Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #31
SullyND
W: 30-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
The trampoline is an Olympic event? I had no idea.
For the record:

10 Meter BB Gun? Olympic Event.
Baseball? Nope.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #32
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

My DVR is full of stuff to watch. I still haven't watched the most recent season of Dexter. I've also got like 5 James Bond movies on my DVR. Encore has had like 19 Bond films on this month.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #33
fmowry

Quote:
It's after the Big Wheel 5K.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #34
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
"Chariots of Fire" is on HBO this month.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086713/
might be on somewhere too.. (good miniseries)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverm2 View Post
If Bob Costas is around, the other commentators dont get much chance to talk anyway.
Hey, Bob Costas is great!

Quote:
It's only been around a few Olympics-es at most. They added some cool new winter sports too, like snowboard racing (I don't think that's what they call it, but it's basically what it is).

Funny thing about this thread is -- I *generally* am a sports hater. The Olympics is one of the VERY few exceptions (Little League World Series finals is one other, I record the Super Bowl *for the commercials* and avoid the boring game).. Though so far, I'm mostly watching the actual performing, and even FFing through the wait for the scores, etc.. When they're in more finals rather than preliminaries, that may change.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #35
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I understand being indifferent to the Olympics (that is, not caring at all about the events, the results, whatever)... but I don't get why anyone would "hate" the Olympics. Seems very curious to me.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #36
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar
I understand being indifferent to the Olympics (that is, not caring at all about the events, the results, whatever)... but I don't get why anyone would "hate" the Olympics. Seems very curious to me.
Unless you live in the town hosting.

A finalist for US was my area. I live snack dab in the middle of Washington/Baltimore. The USOC picked a very flawed New York over us to pay homage to 9/11. London probably would have still won but W/B had a very good proposal and cache of DC.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #37
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79

Unless you live in the town hosting.
Good point, hadn't thought of that specific instance, and that is perfectly understandable. Other than that, though, it seems odd to me to hate the Olympics.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #38
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I don't hate the Olympics themselves, I hate how it becomes the sole focus for so much. TV and news is completely disrupted. I can't wait for it to be over and for the sanity (such as it is) to return.

One of the saddest days of my life was when they swapped the schedules and now Winter and Summer were offset and we had to have Olympics every 2 years instead of once every four.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #39
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
One of the saddest days of my life was when they swapped the schedules and now Winter and Summer were offset and we had to have Olympics every 2 years instead of once every four.
Does not compute. We now have one Olympics every two years instead of having the Olympics twice (one Winter, one Summer) every four years.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #40
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Does not compute. We now have one Olympics every two years instead of having the Olympics twice (one Winter, one Summer) every four years.
YEAH!!

Every two years we get the Olympics.

It's much better this way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #41
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Watch what you normally watch, the olympics are only on NBC (and their cable affiliates). Not much new being pre-empted on NBC anyways.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #42
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I guess a lot of my hatred is that it seems like it's ALL my family and extended family can talk about.

And TV BLOWS when it's on. My DVR might as well have taken a nap for a couple of weeks.

(I also lived in Salt Lake when they were prepping for the Olympics. That was a pain.)
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #43
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Good point, hadn't thought of that specific instance, and that is perfectly understandable. Other than that, though, it seems odd to me to hate the Olympics.
I do hate the Olympics along with most professional sports. Governments go into hock to build stadiums and stick the tax payer for years paying off the tab. The only team in recent memory that built their own stadium with no government money as New England Patriots. My hat is off for Bob Kraft for doing that.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote