TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
ffitzgerald39

Does Premiere HDMI communicate with Sony Bravira TVs

I have a 5 year old Tivo HD which I have always connected with component cables. I have a new Sony Bravia TV which gives integrated control and higher resolution if I use the HDMI connection. I tried this but find the HDMI output from the Tivo is dead.
I contacted a repair agent who said this was a known problem with the Tivo HD and the HDCP handshake especialy with Sony TVs. At his instruction I tried new cables, powering up and down and changing Tivo output foremat. Nothing helped.
If I purchase a new Premiere will it now negotiate the handshake and communicate with the Sony ? What has been people's recent experience ? I looked on previous threads and found people with HDMI problems but no real solutions.
ffitzgerald39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffitzgerald39 View Post
I have a 5 year old Tivo HD which I have always connected with component cables. I have a new Sony Bravia TV which gives integrated control and higher resolution if I use the HDMI connection. I tried this but find the HDMI output from the Tivo is dead.
I contacted a repair agent who said this was a known problem with the Tivo HD and the HDCP handshake especialy with Sony TVs. At his instruction I tried new cables, powering up and down and changing Tivo output foremat. Nothing helped.
If I purchase a new Premiere will it now negotiate the handshake and communicate with the Sony ? What has been people's recent experience ? I looked on previous threads and found people with HDMI problems but no real solutions.
I have two Sony Bravia HDTVs, the KDL-46XBR5 and KDL-32XBR4. I previously had two TiVo HDs and now have a Premiere and a Premiere Elite. I have never experienced any HDMI compatibility issues with any of them. Your TiVo HD could have a defect, but it's more likely a handshake issue or faulty setting. Try out all of the HDMI connections on your TV. If no luck, try an HDMI reset. Is the Bravia Theatre Sync (CEC) on? If so, try turning it off.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
sehale

I have a Sony Bravia HDTV, KDL-52W4100, with a Premiere and it works fine. Not using any special HDMI cables. On rare occasions, after a 30-second skip, the sound gets "off" - hard to explain but sort of distant sounding. Backing up for a second re-sets it. Not sure if it is an HDMI issue or not but I live with it.
sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
sharkster

One of my TVs is a Sony Bravia and it has a Premiere attached by HDMI. No problems here, either.

Sehale - I have that same weird sound change happen on the Toshiba TV that I have with my other Premiere. I can't figure out if it's the Tivo or the TV but when I do some things the sound gets that distant, yet louder, thing until next time I hit something on the Tivo remote. Like you, I just deal but it's certainly odd. I haven't had it happen on my Sony.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
TZR916

Things to help narrow your problem:
Disconncet all other AV connections from the back of the Tivo (only hdmi plugged in).
Try another hdmi device on the Tv (dvd / bluray player).
Try the Tivo on another Tv.
Hard reboot both the Tv and the Tivo (pull power cord for 10 seconds).
Factory default the Tv (see user manual for your model).
Update the Tv firmware (see Sony support site ).

Last edited by TZR916 : 07-31-2012 at 08:39 AM.
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
MeInDallas

I have 3 Sony's here. One of them when I first bought it, if I FF'd the Tivo I would get this green screen and then it would go black, and I would have to turn the TV off and back on again to get it to work. I found out on another forum that the software in the Sony TV could be updated, and the problem would go away. Sure enough, went to the Sony website and found there was a software update for my TV. Installed the new update and the problem went away and never came back. You might check and see if there is a software update for your TV and maybe that might help you out.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
ffitzgerald39

Arrow Does Premiere HDMI communicate with Sony Bravira TVs

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tried them all including updated TV software from Sony. Nothing worked. I contacted Tivo chat and got this respose, to do what I had already done:

"Paul: Thanks you for waiting, Frank. This is a known issue, as you said, unfortunately, because the TiVo HD does not have integrated controls, this happens. The only suggestion I can give you is to try unplugging the TV set while the TiVo box is plugged into the TV set and powered on, then plug the power back into the TV set. This sometimes resolves the issue."

They made no other comment on repair or replacement. I guess I am out of luck with the HD and will have to go with a Premier to get HDMI control.
ffitzgerald39 is offline   Reply With Quote