TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
cannonz

Recently Deleted

Should I permanently delete shows in recently deleted file (S2 DT's), or just let it get filled?
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Just leave it, if you ever want to see a show again you can always get it back from there.

Plus, I think you would just be taking out the reference to it on the drive, so it would still be there anyways.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Should I permanently delete shows in recently deleted file (S2 DT's), or just let it get filled?
It is 100% optional. Whether you do or not, Tivo's performance is unaffected.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

There are many many many threads on this. No need to do anything. It does not impact any recordings, including suggestions.

Some people delete them with religious fervor. Other than those watching something they want to hide, I never understood it.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
cannonz

That's what I was wondering if it had any negative impact on performance, glad to hear it doesn't. My cable company DVR acts even more flaky when it gets around 90% full.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

What did people do when there was no recently deleted folder?

Nothing.

The way TiVo handles recordings hasn't changed. Even though a show is deleted, the data remains on the hard drive until it is overwritten. With the addition of the RDF, TiVo allowed us access to that data.

People who 'permanently delete' shows from the RDF are only satisfying their OCD urges (IMO). All they are doing is putting their Tivo in a pre RDF state. The data is still on the hard drive, only the Tivo has marked it as 'permanently deleted' and it is no longer accessible.

I admit that I (with my OCD urges) micromanage my Tivos to make sure they are recording what they are supposed to be recording, but never have I had the urge to clear out the RDF.

Edit: Or what scandia101 said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I admit that I (with my OCD urges) micromanage my Tivos to make sure they are recording what they are supposed to be recording, but never have I had the urge to clear out the RDF.
This x1000.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote