TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #5581
MC Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
(BTW is there any way in DVR or TA diagnostics to tell whether a channel is authorized?)
Cisco or Motorola TA?
MC Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #5582
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
Cisco or Motorola TA?
Cisco STA1520

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 AM   #5583
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
(BTW is there any way in DVR or TA diagnostics to tell whether a channel is authorized?)

So what I guess is happening is that somehow authorization for all my cable channels is being lost and rebooting the TiVo gets it back. Note that I use two single-channel CableCARD's and both of them behave exactly the same when this happens. (Thus I find it hard to believe the problem is a defective card.)
S-Card Menu and MMI Screens
Checking activation and authorization to display the current channel
http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/get/72399/
"The ECM count will be greater than zero and will increase every few seconds if the CableCARD is entitled to decrypt the current channel (i.e., your account is subscribed to the channel). If the CableCARD is activated, but you are not subscribed to this channel, the ECM count will not increment, and you will not see video on this channel."

M-Card Menu and MMI Screens
Checking if the CableCARD is subscribed to the channel
http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/get/72397/

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #5584
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
S-Card Menu and MMI Screens
Checking activation and authorization to display the current channel
http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/get/72399/
"The ECM count will be greater than zero and will increase every few seconds if the CableCARD is entitled to decrypt the current channel (i.e., your account is subscribed to the channel). If the CableCARD is activated, but you are not subscribed to this channel, the ECM count will not increment, and you will not see video on this channel."

M-Card Menu and MMI Screens
Checking if the CableCARD is subscribed to the channel
http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/get/72397/
Thanks! In the TiVo support pages no less, and I missed it! Note that (at least on my TiVo, with S-cards) in order to see the ECM count increment you have to exit the screen and return, to refresh the count.

So now I'm still wondering: what makes both my CableCARD's simultaniously lose authorization on ALL channels occasionally?

and
Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #5585
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Another TWC support war story

I noticed the OS software build date for the two S-Cards (CableCARDs) in my TiVo HD was 2006 (!). So I decided to swap them for a single M-Card (and save $2/mo. in the bargain.)

Called TWC support and a very efficient, knowledgable and pleasant fellow named "Jason" arranged for me to swap the cards at one of their stores. There are four stores in my area but none of them are closer than 10 miles to me. I picked the most convenient location (Tipp City) and he (said he) messaged them and they verfied they had the m-card in stock.

When I showed up at the Tipp City store I was immediately informed they never stocked CC's there (!) and no one there had communicated with "Jason" about it. The agent was able to see notifications that Jason had made on my account and she informed his supervisor of all the trouble he had caused me -- so hopefully he will be royally thumped for his incompetence.

As Jason should have known, only one of the four stores in my area stocks CC's (Dayton Mall) and of course it is the store that is furthest from me and 20 miles from the Tipp City store. Thus I ended up spending two hours and driving 50 miles to get my m-Card. I will mention the Tipp City agent said she entered a $10 credit on my account as partial compensation.

Anyway, with the efficient help of the national self-install desk, I got the m-card installed quickly without having to re-do guided setup. Now I'm just hoping I get that follow-up survey call about my satisfaction with Jason.

And I notice the OS build date for the new card is 2011. I can always hope some of the tuning and gap problems I've recently posted here may be eliminated.

and
Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #5586
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Maybe it WAS the CableCARDs (?)

Quote:
.......... And I notice the OS build date for the new card is 2011. I can always hope some of the tuning and gap problems I've recently posted here may be eliminated.
Too early to be sure (4 days) but it looks like the problems are either gone or at least much reduced after replacing two (old) s-cards with one m-card. If so, my theory is the older cards took longer to respond when communicating with the TiVo and caused timeouts.

However I encountered a new problem immediately after swapping the cards. Twice in three days, while watching a recorded program, the following sequence occured:

1. The video/audio being watched went away and was replaced by a combination of blank screen and live video from a channel that wasn't selected on either tuner. The video was sporadic, blinking on and off.
2. There was no TiVo response to remote control clicks, although the yellow light was responding.
3. This continued for about 2 minutes then operation went back to normal.
4. At least on the second occurence the 30 minute buffers on the tuned channels had 2-minute sequences of the "mystery" channel inserted instead of the commanded channel.

Was it the new CableCARD? Was my HDD failing? I had just checked the power supply for voltages and bulging caps so I ruled that out.

Last night I power-cycled both the TiVo and the TA just as a precaution, since I hadn't done that after swapping the CC's. Shortly thereafter, an Emergency system message took over the TiVo and it dawned on me the effect of this exactly matched the previous two weird events, except now the emergency message banner was displayed. The same "mystery" channel was shown in the background for a few brief seconds while a blank screen was shown most of the time.

I recalled that both weird events occured at times when an emergency message would have been likely -- major storms were passing through our area.

I don't think these are proper responses to emergency messages but I gather that can be caused by improper signals from the cable co. Could TWC send me improper signals? Perish the thought!

and
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #5587
SASouth

Quote:
Too early to be sure (4 days) but it looks like the problems are either gone or at least much reduced after replacing two (old) s-cards with one m-card. If so, my theory is the older cards took longer to respond when communicating with the TiVo and caused timeouts.

However I encountered a new problem immediately after swapping the cards. Twice in three days, while watching a recorded program, the following sequence occured:

1. The video/audio being watched went away and was replaced by a combination of blank screen and live video from a channel that wasn't selected on either tuner. The video was sporadic, blinking on and off.
2. There was no TiVo response to remote control clicks, although the yellow light was responding.
3. This continued for about 2 minutes then operation went back to normal.
4. At least on the second occurence the 30 minute buffers on the tuned channels had 2-minute sequences of the "mystery" channel inserted instead of the commanded channel.

Was it the new CableCARD? Was my HDD failing? I had just checked the power supply for voltages and bulging caps so I ruled that out.

Last night I power-cycled both the TiVo and the TA just as a precaution, since I hadn't done that after swapping the CC's. Shortly thereafter, an Emergency system message took over the TiVo and it dawned on me the effect of this exactly matched the previous two weird events, except now the emergency message banner was displayed. The same "mystery" channel was shown in the background for a few brief seconds while a blank screen was shown most of the time.

I recalled that both weird events occured at times when an emergency message would have been likely -- major storms were passing through our area.

I don't think these are proper responses to emergency messages but I gather that can be caused by improper signals from the cable co. Could TWC send me improper signals? Perish the thought!
Those are definitely Emergency Broadcast System messages taking over your Tivo. It's happening to me on my Tivo Premiere Elite that has an M card. The mystery channel is the CSPAN SD feed.

It doesn't happen on my HD Tivos with S cards. I just get the message scrolling across the screen like it should.

It's very frustrating to be locked out of my Tivo while it does this nonsense. It's not even functional most of the time.

TWC needs to fix how they are doing EBS for M Cards because this is annoying and doesn't even properly display the EBS message.

BTW, get used to this because happens to my Elite even when they're running an EBS "weekly" test that seems to occur daily.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #5588
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
Those are definitely Emergency Broadcast System messages taking over your Tivo. It's happening to me on my Tivo Premiere Elite that has an M card. The mystery channel is the CSPAN SD feed.

It doesn't happen on my HD Tivos with S cards. I just get the message scrolling across the screen like it should.

It's very frustrating to be locked out of my Tivo while it does this nonsense. It's not even functional most of the time.

TWC needs to fix how they are doing EBS for M Cards because this is annoying and doesn't even properly display the EBS message.

BTW, get used to this because happens to my Elite even when they're running an EBS "weekly" test that seems to occur daily.
IIRC you also are in the TWC SW Ohio region and we were fellow sufferers of the more-than-one-year 8-blink TA authorization indignity. Yes the "mystery" channel is the C-SPAN SD feed for me too.

To be honest, I am just so relieved that this problem is a combination of my (newly installed) m-card interacting with TWC's incompetence (i.e., not my TiVo or its power supply or its HDD) that I'm **relatively** happy. That is, as long as the EBS messages don't happen too often! Frankly, I'd be afraid that if they tried to fix this, they might do more harm than good.

and
Old 07-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #5589
SASouth

Quote:
IIRC you also are in the TWC SW Ohio region and we were fellow sufferers of the more-than-one-year 8-blink TA authorization indignity. Yes the "mystery" channel is the C-SPAN SD feed for me too.

To be honest, I am just so relieved that this problem is a combination of my (newly installed) m-card interacting with TWC's incompetence (i.e., not my TiVo or its power supply or its HDD) that I'm **relatively** happy. That is, as long as the EBS messages don't happen too often! Frankly, I'd be afraid that if they tried to fix this, they might do more harm than good.
You recall correctly. The TA nightmare took way too long to get fixed and wouldn't you know it, just when the CSRs finally get trained on how to send the proper hit to reauthorize they fix it for good.

You can count on the EBS messages happening at least once or twice a week. Sometimes more. They even hit us when the alert isn't in our area. Just wait until one of your recordings gets hosed because of them. You're going to LOVE that.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #5590
clatrell

Olympics coverage

Can someone explain to me why Time Warner cannot provide 3d channels to Tivo owners? I received Tivo notification earlier this evening that channel 1333 had been added to my lineup, then an hour later I received notification that it had been deleted. As far as I understand, there is no technical reason why Tivo can't record 3d channels. But when I called, the answer was simply that Time Warner "does not provide support for 3d on cablecards."
clatrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #5591
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by clatrell View Post
Can someone explain to me why Time Warner cannot provide 3d channels to Tivo owners? I received Tivo notification earlier this evening that channel 1333 had been added to my lineup, then an hour later I received notification that it had been deleted. As far as I understand, there is no technical reason why Tivo can't record 3d channels. But when I called, the answer was simply that Time Warner "does not provide support for 3d on cablecards."
While I do not know if TW actually supports receiving 3D channels with CableCARDs, that message you received had nothing to do with it.

The channel listing TiVo uses is not TiVo-specific, it's just based on your geography. The fact that it was added then deleted just means it was a mistake.

I have some 3D channels in my listing, you may too if you check. Go look in Channels You Receive in Settings.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #5592
SASouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
While I do not know if TW actually supports receiving 3D channels with CableCARDs, that message you received had nothing to do with it. -snip
I'm getting the NBC Olympics 3D channel from TWC in the Dayton, OH area and it works fine on my Tivo Premiere Elite with an M card. I don't know of any other 3D channels that work, though.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #5593
teasip

Quick question if I may? Daughter heading back to college next weekend in Austin and her new apt. complex provides TW basic cable. Since there apparently are no cable boxes involved, as best I can tell, will she still require a CC to utilize our second TiVoHD with lifetime? Since I haven't been in an apartment for decades I'm not sure how they currently disperse their cable provider signal. I presume "yes", but I wanted to try to find out beforehand. TWC-Austin wasn't able to assist me since they couldn't comment on the complex setup.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #5594
dlfl
Cranky old novice

What setup do other apartment residents use? Do they have cable co boxes (and what type)? Or do they just plug the cable directly into their TV's?

and
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #5595
teasip

Don't know for sure. My daughter said that a friend who lived in the complex "Had to go pick something up from TW". Who knows? I thought I'd try and see if anyone with Austin connections living in an apartment complex (The Block on 23rd specifically) with "free basic cable" was using a TiVo. If it requires the tuning adapter, and based on what I'm reading here about it freezing up/needing to be reset, it may be easier to do without. I personally have FiOS and all we need here is the CC.

Update: Looks like I'll be needing a TA and a CC for her to use the TiVo. TA appears to be free whereas the CC is $2/mo..

Last edited by teasip : 08-05-2012 at 10:25 AM.
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #5596
cwoody222

A friend here (not in Austin) has included TW cable at his apartment. He does not need a CableCARD for his TiVo.

However, he WOULD need a CableCARD if he wanted to get the local stations in HD (the only HD stations included for free). Right now he can tune those channels but there's no Guide Data. The CC would be needed to map the channels properly.

I suspect it'd be similar in Austin.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #5597
teasip

Thanks! I haven't had a chance to ask my daughter yet what she found out today.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #5598
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Quote:
IIRC you also are in the TWC SW Ohio region .......... Yes the "mystery" channel is the C-SPAN SD feed for me too. .........
Quote:
........... You can count on the EBS messages happening at least once or twice a week. Sometimes more. They even hit us when the alert isn't in our area. Just wait until one of your recordings gets hosed because of them. You're going to LOVE that.
Did you (or anyone in the TWC SW Ohio region) get an EBS message interruption at about 8:25 am edt this morning? I was watching (later) a recording that spanned that time and it suddenly switched to the CSPAN channel for 2 or 3 minutes then back to the program I was recording. That's ALL that happened. No EBS message scrolled across.

I haven't noticed very many EBS messages since I switched to an m-card, but the other one that I did notice within the last two weeks at least had a message that scrolled.

and
Old 08-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #5599
SASouth

Quote:
Did you (or anyone in the TWC SW Ohio region) get an EBS message interruption at about 8:25 am edt this morning? I was watching (later) a recording that spanned that time and it suddenly switched to the CSPAN channel for 2 or 3 minutes then back to the program I was recording. That's ALL that happened. No EBS message scrolled across.

I haven't noticed very many EBS messages since I switched to an m-card, but the other one that I did notice within the last two weeks at least had a message that scrolled.
I wasn't watching at that time. However, I can tell you that I've seen exactly what you describe on more than one occasion. Sometimes once or twice a week.

I believe that it is the EBS system getting triggered. For what reason I don't know since no message is displayed when it happens.

One thing I know for sure is that it is extremely annoying when it happens and you're watching live. It effectively locks you out of your Tivo and you can't do anything while they have control for two or three minutes. Grrrrr.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #5600
kevin120

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
Don't know for sure. My daughter said that a friend who lived in the complex "Had to go pick something up from TW". Who knows? I thought I'd try and see if anyone with Austin connections living in an apartment complex (The Block on 23rd specifically) with "free basic cable" was using a TiVo. If it requires the tuning adapter, and based on what I'm reading here about it freezing up/needing to be reset, it may be easier to do without. I personally have FiOS and all we need here is the CC.

Update: Looks like I'll be needing a TA and a CC for her to use the TiVo. TA appears to be free whereas the CC is $2/mo..
I would go ahead and get a tuning adapter as TWC has in the past and might still be putting some of the basic tier channels on SDV also the HD channels are free so if she has an HDTV the tuning adapter would be need for the expanded basic channels in HD as they are included with the package at no additional charge.

Also some of the expanded basic channels are digital only and available with a cablecard or stb only.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #5601
teasip

I called TWC back this afternoon and spoke with another individual. He told me that the complex is contracted for "standard", i.e.-"red/green" channels on channel guide. I printed out the channel guide for her, setup the account (order number), and will be picking up an M card CC and TA tomorrow. I read somewhere that Austin, Tx. was the first city to switch over to SDV and need the TA's. In addition, he was even able to tell me that the complex gets 10 mbps internet so we should be good to go. I've got an Airport Extreme and Express packed up just in case so we should be set. They charged me a whooping $2.32/mo. for the service. I don't know that we'll be able to eat .
Old 08-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #5602
teasip

Don't think I got the Cisco TA to work since all I ever got was the 8 flashes. Left it for daughter to deal with since I couldn't tell that it got her any more channels than what she got off the CC. CSR was wrong. Internet speed was 3 mbps and there were no instructions provided at move-in on how to connect. Turn on laptop, search networks, and there it was. It had you create an account.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #5603
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
Don't think I got the Cisco TA to work since all I ever got was the 8 flashes. Left it for daughter to deal with since I couldn't tell that it got her any more channels than what she got off the CC. CSR was wrong. Internet speed was 3 mbps and there were no instructions provided at move-in on how to connect. Turn on laptop, search networks, and there it was. It had you create an account.
To paraphrase Claude Rains' character in "Casablanca": A TWC CSR gave you bad infomation? I'm SHOCKED!

A TA with 8-blinks will never do anything useful since that code means it isn't authorized, which requires signals sent from the cable plant. I suspect the distribution system in the apartment doesn't transfer the OOB signals the TA uses to communicate (two-ways) with the cable plant. Can your daughter find anyone else in that building that uses a TiVo with a TA and CableCARD successfully? I also have trouble believing that basic cable channels require a TA (i.e., use SDV). I suspect they're distributing analog versions of the channels, which means you don't even need a CableCARD.

and
Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #5604
SASouth

Quote:

I had the EBS take over my Tivo and not display any message today at 12:30 PM.

Anyone else with an M-Card in your Tivo seeing this happen besides me and dlfl?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #5605
cwoody222

Quote:
To paraphrase Claude Rains' character in "Casablanca": A TWC CSR gave you bad infomation? I'm SHOCKED!

A TA with 8-blinks will never do anything useful since that code means it isn't authorized, which requires signals sent from the cable plant. I suspect the distribution system in the apartment doesn't transfer the OOB signals the TA uses to communicate (two-ways) with the cable plant. Can your daughter find anyone else in that building that uses a TiVo with a TA and CableCARD successfully? I also have trouble believing that basic cable channels require a TA (i.e., use SDV). I suspect they're distributing analog versions of the channels, which means you don't even need a CableCARD.
I agree here.

I bet the apartment complex is getting analog versions of channels (and therefore don't need a CC or TA).

However, they are probably also getting the local HD stations which would require a CC to properly map the channel guide data but would not require a TA.

I'd try the TiVo just with a coax attached and see what happens. If you can get all the channels you're supposed to, no TA needed.

If they can also tune the HD locals (may be on odd channel numbers) then ask TW to provide a CC for those (if they want them). The CC will cost $2.50/mo or so.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #5606
teasip

Thanks for the assistance, and confirmation, from my walk through TWC land. I ran out of time on Saturday to try it without the TA but had suspected this. Don' know of anyone else in the complex that she is friends with, that much less has a TiVo (remember, dads are stupid at this stage of life and aren't allowed any "inside" information). I did find the HD versions of her locals, as well as HD broadcasts of HGTV and either USA or some other national cable broadcast in that range. I will text her today and ask her to try the coax directly to the TiVo and bypass the TA.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #5607
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I had the EBS take over my Tivo and not display any message today at 12:30 PM.

Anyone else with an M-Card in your Tivo seeing this happen besides me and dlfl?
What's your location? I'm in Englewood (northwest of Dayton). I had an EBS "takeover' at 10:25 am on the same day. The takeover behavior varies each tiime it happens. This time I got a totally black screen and no audio, no scrolling message (and as always no response to the remote control). I was watching, on a delayed basis, a program that started recording at 9:20 am and which was still recording at the time of the EBS. I later played back the program content recorded at the time of the EBS and there was no interruption at that point. Totally erratic behavior. On prior occasions the EBS has substituted two minutes of C-SPAN in recordings!

and
Old 08-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #5608
kevin120

Quote:

There would not be anything blocking the OOB channel as it is in 70MHz~ range and if they have internet the apartment complex is upgraded to handle digital cable. I have not heard an apartment complex blocking the OOB carrier.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #5609
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post
There would not be anything blocking the OOB channel as it is in 70MHz~ range and if they have internet the apartment complex is upgraded to handle digital cable. I have not heard an apartment complex blocking the OOB carrier.
You're probably right, although I see that the OOB freqs used by my TA are 104 MHz for FDC and 19 MHz for RDC.

I read somewhere that some splitters that work fine in the downstream direction have too much attenuation going the other way (i.e., for the RDC signal). If an amplifier is being used, the same kind of issues would apply, I would think.

and
Old 08-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #5610
SASouth

Quote:
What's your location? I'm in Englewood (northwest of Dayton). I had an EBS "takeover' at 10:25 am on the same day. The takeover behavior varies each tiime it happens. This time I got a totally black screen and no audio, no scrolling message (and as always no response to the remote control). I was watching, on a delayed basis, a program that started recording at 9:20 am and which was still recording at the time of the EBS. I later played back the program content recorded at the time of the EBS and there was no interruption at that point. Totally erratic behavior. On prior occasions the EBS has substituted two minutes of C-SPAN in recordings!
I'm in Springfield. I've seen similar to what you describe during live TV. On occasions when I'm watching a show that was recording when the EBS takeover occurred I sometimes see C-SPAN, other times I see a black screen with a message, sometimes none at all. It's consistently inconsistent.

One thing consistent is that it alway seems to happen at a critical moment in whatever I happen to be watching at the time.