TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
berkshires

TiVo Search using SDUI?

Is it possible to use TiVo Search (as on the TiVoHD) using the SDUI instead of Swivel Search?
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
lpwcomp

If you mean while using the HDUI, about the only thing you can do is a wishlist search. That is still SDUI.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
berkshires

I mean using the SDUI. The TiVoHD has TiVo Search which is far superior to Swivel and I don't see any evidence it is available under the Premiere SDUI.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
I mean using the SDUI. The TiVoHD has TiVo Search which is far superior to Swivel and I don't see any evidence it is available under the Premiere SDUI.
When I select "TiVo Search" on my THD, guess where it takes me? Swivel Search. As far as I can tell, the search options for the Premiere SDUI are the same as those of the THD except for some of the menu item names.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
berkshires

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
When I select "TiVo Search" on my THD, guess where it takes me? Swivel Search. As far as I can tell, the search options for the Premiere SDUI are the same as those of the THD except for some of the menu item names.
There is a replacement for Swivel called TiVo Search on the Series 3 platform. You choose to switch from one to the other by going into the initial search screen with the on-screen keyboard and scrolling to bottom right option (use TiVo Search in HD/Use Swivel Search instead - as the case may be.) TiVo Search is far superior.

For my Premiere, i don't have an option on the Swivel screen to use TiVo Search nor see it anywhere else.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
There is a replacement for Swivel called TiVo Search on the Series 3 platform. You choose to switch from one to the other by going into the initial search screen with the on-screen keyboard and scrolling to bottom right option (use TiVo Search in HD/Use Swivel Search instead - as the case may be.) TiVo Search is far superior.

For my Premiere, i don't have an option on the Swivel screen to use TiVo Search nor see it anywhere else.
Did a little more checking and I can't help you further since I refuse to "Opt in", which is required to use TiVo Search. I obviously can't judge the relative quality, but you really should have prefaced your statement with "IM(NS)HO"

Old 07-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

No TiVo Search does not work in the SDUI of a Premiere. I think they did this to give some advantage to the HDUI so that people would be compelled to give it a chance.

That being said did you notice that on the Premiere the normal search feature works sort of like TiVo Search. It doesn't just search for exact matches to program names. It searches the entire program name for what you're typing as well as actor names. The only catch is that it still only searches for things that are in the current guide data. So unlike TiVo Search you can't find future airings and things like that. But it does help mitigate the loss of TiVo Search a little.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
No TiVo Search does not work in the SDUI of a Premiere. I think they did this to give some advantage to the HDUI so that people would be compelled to give it a chance.

That being said did you notice that on the Premiere the normal search feature works sort of like TiVo Search. It doesn't just search for exact matches to program names. It searches the entire program name for what you're typing as well as actor names. The only catch is that it still only searches for things that are in the current guide data. So unlike TiVo Search you can't find future airings and things like that. But it does help mitigate the loss of TiVo Search a little.

Dan
Sorry, you're wrong about the HDUI search. One of the complaints is that it doesn't search the current guide data. It always searches the net or at least the TiVo servers. If the network is down or unavailable, you cannot do a search at all if you are using the HDUI.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Sorry, you're wrong about the HDUI search. One of the complaints is that it doesn't search the current guide data. It always searches the net or at least the TiVo servers. If the network is down or unavailable, you cannot do a search at all if you are using the HDUI.
I'm referring to the search in the SDUI. The standard search in SDUI use to just search for program names starting with whatever you were typing. A few versions back they changed it to do a more general search for partial matches and actor names. However this search only uses the local data, not the network data, so it can only find things in your current guide.

I didn't realize the HDUI search was network only. I guess that's one advantage to the SDUI search in comparison.

Dan
Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm referring to the search in the SDUI. The standard search in SDUI use to just search for program names starting with whatever you were typing. A few versions back they changed it to do a more general search for partial matches and actor names. However this search only uses the local data, not the network data, so it can only find things in your current guide.

I didn't realize the HDUI search was network only. I guess that's one advantage to the SDUI search in comparison.

Dan
The only Premiere SDUI search that works as you described is the Swivel Search. There are only three search options under "Find Shows":

Search by Title
Swivel Search
Wishlist Search

Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

No the standard SDUI program search does that as well. Try it out. It's a recent addition so if you don't use it often you may not have noticed.

I believe swivel search uses the network just like TiVo Search does. It's just older and missing some features that TiVo Search has.

Dan
Old 07-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
No the standard SDUI program search does that as well. Try it out. It's a recent addition so if you don't use it often you may not have noticed.

I believe swivel search uses the network just like TiVo Search does. It's just older and missing some features that TiVo Search has.

Dan
I did try it prior to my previous post. Switched to the SDUI.

TiVo Central->Find Shows has the search options I posted:

Search by Title
Swivel Search
Wishlist Search

This was on two different Premieres, both running 20.2.1.2

I can think of one explanation that makes sense (and 4 that really don't):

You have to opt in to enable this option, just as you have to in order for "TiVo Search" to work on a TiVo 3.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
berkshires

Quote:

Dan
I'll have to look for the standard search...I guess you mean Search by Title under Find programs...?

You are right about Swivel using internet. Its HME or something like that.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
astrohip
Stuart F

I'm going to confess ignorance here. Are y'all talking about searching for a program title? IOW, a TiVo-4?
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote