TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Dendawg

Can't record from cable box, only records channel 3

Hey All,
I just bought a Tivo Premiere for the sole purpose of recording the AMC programs I lost when Dish had their hissy fit over AMC and dropped them. I have Suddenlink Basic....they won't give me a cablecard unless I upgrade to Expanded Basic, but I discovered using the SL Digitalink converter I can pull in expanded Basic as well without having to subscribe to it. My problem is I can watch AMC (when tuned on the converter) on channel 3.........but when I try to record it all I get is what is broadcasting on channel 3 at that time and nothing from AMC. Is there a way to get around this : ....I tried rescanning the channels but it still doesn't recognize the converter box? Thanks!
Dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendawg View Post
Hey All,
I just bought a Tivo Premiere for the sole purpose of recording the AMC programs I lost when Dish had their hissy fit over AMC and dropped them. I have Suddenlink Basic....they won't give me a cablecard unless I upgrade to Expanded Basic, but I discovered using the SL Digitalink converter I can pull in expanded Basic as well without having to subscribe to it. My problem is I can watch AMC (when tuned on the converter) on channel 3.........but when I try to record it all I get is what is broadcasting on channel 3 at that time and nothing from AMC. Is there a way to get around this : ....I tried rescanning the channels but it still doesn't recognize the converter box? Thanks!
How is the converter box connected to the Tivo and what is the Tivo set up for inputs?
Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The Premiere cannot use a cable/converter box, nor can it control it to change channels. The only way is to get a cable card, or you are stuck with QAM and analog channels with no digital.

The Premiere would try to change channels but all it gets is nothing. Plus, you would not have the dual tuner ability.

An alternative is to return the Premiere and get a Series 2, which will accept the cable/converter box and it has the ability to change channels, albeit it would be slower.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 07-27-2012 at 10:10 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
How is the converter box connected to the Tivo and what is the Tivo set up for inputs?
There is only 1 way the cable/converter box is connected and that is through the coax input of the Premiere, since there is no other inputs available, but coax.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
L David Matheny

Quote:
Hey All,
You mean you're feeding the RF (coax) output of your converter box to the input of the TiVo and setting the TiVo to record NTSC (analog) channel 3, right? I doubt that your converter box has an ATSC (digital) encoder.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Dendawg

Thanks for the replies....still doesn't address problem

My converter is just a small box suddenlink gives away to convert digital to analog (but it still enables me to get expanded basic thru it). I have this box plugged in to Tivo and the box is tuned to AMC, I have Tivo tuned to channel 3 in order to watch what is coming out of the cable box. Everything is looking hunky dory I am watching AMC on the TIVO and go ahead and record what I am watching. Now the problem is when I play back I did not record what I was watching but rather what was being broadcast locally on channel 3 at that time. Is there a way to overide the Tivo from choosing the broadcast feed and choose instead what the cablebox is tuned too?
Dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
ajwees41

Quote:
My converter is just a small box suddenlink gives away to convert digital to analog (but it still enables me to get expanded basic thru it). I have this box plugged in to Tivo and the box is tuned to AMC, I have Tivo tuned to channel 3 in order to watch what is coming out of the cable box. Everything is looking hunky dory I am watching AMC on the TIVO and go ahead and record what I am watching. Now the problem is when I play back I did not record what I was watching but rather what was being broadcast locally on channel 3 at that time. Is there a way to overide the Tivo from choosing the broadcast feed and choose instead what the cablebox is tuned too?
what do you get if don't use the suddenlink box? anything the Premieres don't work with DTA's, but do work with SDV adaptors. you need a cable card.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I'm somewhat surprised that you can get the analog versions of the Expanded Basic using the Suddenlink box without paying for the service. That's a mistake on their part. If you just want the regular Basic you should be able to just plug the cable directly into the Premiere and use it to tune the channels and get the appropriate Guide Data. I've done that with Suddenlink and a Premiere prior to getting a CableCard.