TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
rob_gendreau

Channel mismatch?

I was running through guided setup prior to getting my cablecard installed.

Got to choosing provider (comcast), entered area code, etc. When I got to channel selection it had only two choices, a basic and basic-extended. I have what's called Premier with Comcast. I noticed that some channel numbers on the Tivo list were different than those on the written list I was given by Comcast a couple of days ago. Is this anything I need to worry about, or try to correct? The installer is coming tomorrow.

Rob
rob_gendreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Go to zap2it.com and see what lineups are available for your zip code. TiVo and zap2it both use guide data generated by Tribune Media Services. If one of the zap2it lineups is a better match then it should have been offered as a choice during guided setup. TiVo has a web site for reporting guide data errors, although they depend on TMS and TMS depends on your local cable provider. If your installer has any useful input on this it will be a minor miracle. When my CableCARDs and Tuning Adapter were installed by Time Warner Cable 3 years ago, the installer didn't even know what channels I should receive, could not provide a list and showed no interest in helping me find out. (He showed up just before the end of the appointment time window and his main interest was getting out of my house to pursue his personal life.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
ggieseke

While you're at zap2it, check some neighboring zip codes as well.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau View Post
I was running through guided setup prior to getting my cablecard installed.

Got to choosing provider (comcast), entered area code, etc. When I got to channel selection it had only two choices, a basic and basic-extended. I have what's called Premier with Comcast. I noticed that some channel numbers on the Tivo list were different than those on the written list I was given by Comcast a couple of days ago. Is this anything I need to worry about, or try to correct? The installer is coming tomorrow.

Rob
When doing the initial setup, did you select "Comcast -Cable" or "Comcast - Digital"? Should have been the latter.

Are they charging you for the install and if so, did they inform you that you have the option of installing it yourself?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
rob_gendreau

I don't recall if it was digital or analog, but I'll check.

I checked the Tribune site, and that tracks with what the TiVo lists. Could be that Comcast's current info, as given to me, is incorrect. Like just about everything else....

And yeah, they're charging for the install, although I may cancel and do it myself. But they have to do a truck roll here anyway since I don't have outside cable, although the interior is done. It needs the box and cable from the pole. I thought I'd talk to the guy and see if he'd just hand over the cards after doing the outside work and let me do it. At Comcast they just couldn’t seem to comprehend I needed just the OUTSIDE connection (free) and the cards; for them it was "you pay if they go out." Sigh. But I can kinda sympathize; probably aren't many homes in my area that don't have outside cabling and people probably screw it up all the time.

I'll report the results.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
rob_gendreau

Did the install; all seems well. I get the channels listed by Tivo (i.e. if Tivo has it then I get content), but the channel list doesn't match what Comcast gave me. But I expect their written materials aren't up to date.

Had to make some cabling changes up on the pole, but cablecard installation was easy.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Did the install; all seems well. I get the channels listed by Tivo (i.e. if Tivo has it then I get content), but the channel list doesn't match what Comcast gave me. But I expect their written materials aren't up to date.
Does it match what Comcast has on their website?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
rob_gendreau

The channels I get matches, but the numbering is off.

For example, they don't even list BBC America HD, but I've got it and TiVo's got it. They also didn't have SyFy HD listed. Rather dumb of them...their competitors must love this.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
The channels I get matches, but the numbering is off.

For example, they don't even list BBC America HD, but I've got it and TiVo's got it. They also didn't have SyFy HD listed. Rather dumb of them...their competitors must love this.
They obviously sent Tribune correct lineup information but can't get their own website right? Typical. Their website maintenance is sadly deficient.

I'm glad that everything is working properly. I have seen cases where Comcast failed to inform Tribune of lineup changes.