TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
cmshep222

Got a letter from Fios (in VA). Hello Copy Protection!

From Fios today..."On or after July 31st, 2012, Verizon will begin to implement copy protection requirements that will prohibit the copying of recorded content to more than one recorder".

Oh well...It's been a fun NO COPY PROTECTION ride on Fios for 3 years. All good things must come to an end!
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Same here. Did the cable card reactivation as instructed in the letter.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
pmiranda

If it didn't break MRV it wouldn't be such a big deal. TiVo should have sued TW over this since boxes are allowed to do multi room. Of course now that the premiere has MRS it just pushes more revenue for TiVo too.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=489184

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Joe-user21

Got letter; nightmare trying to "activate"

So, I got the letter (SE PA) regarding needing to "properly activate" my cable cards. I have two Series 3's (4 cc's) - that has been running with FIOS for years.

I tuned to 131, and of course could not receive the channel - got the "pairing" screen. Checked here, saw a couple people who did the phone activation in like 5 minutes with no problem - thought - lemme do this now, get a jump when they lock it down on July 31st.

So I tried the phone system. It read back my 4 cards - I entered the data - thought "great!". Sent the "hits". One Tivo locked up, the other went "gray screen". Rebooted both - now no reception on any channel on any cc - they have the channel list, but just gray screen.

Went through the phone menu several more times - and each time it read back a different subset of cards - thought I had 2, then 3 - so went to a rep.

He worked with me for about an hour and a half. We ended up getting 1 cc in each Tivo working. The other only showing "gray screen" (status NOT_SUBSCRIBED).

He said there seemed to be a problem between their equipment and provisioning databases. One system showed all 4 cc's were activated (paired?), the other had conflicting data. He tried valiantly, but was unable to delete and re-add the other 2 cc's to all the systems and keep them in sync.

Net is - he's sending me two new cable cards, that he provisioned from scratch. He said that was the only way left he knew how to get them added to ALL the Verizon databases, in sync.

Apparently since Verizon was lax about pairing in the past, these cc's were never provisioned 100% properly. And that bit me now.

Just wanted to post this cautionary note..

P.S. Of the two working cards, one shows 131 ok, but the other does not (both show SUBSCRIBED in status). The rep said that shouldn't be a problem, but I have a funny feeling come July 31st that working card will also crap out.
Joe-user21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
vurbano

It was at least an hour on the phone for 3 premieres
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Joe-user21

Quick follow-up to "Nightmare with non-provisioned cc's" - Rcv'd 2 new cc's from Verizon (with prepaid mailers to return the 2 non-provisioned). These came with a welcome letter and a "fast path" activation code. Used that on the activation website - the 2 new cards came up correctly, I entered the pairing data, Verizon sent the hits - worked like a charm with no further drama.
Joe-user21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
DocNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshep222
From Fios today..."On or after July 31st, 2012, Verizon will begin to implement copy protection requirements that will prohibit the copying of recorded content to more than one recorder".
That's annoying! They are finishing the physical installation of fibre in my neighborhood now

Oh well - I guess I should thank them. Now even if I stay with Comcast or switch to FIOS, I'll likely drop cable - cable card has been a huge PITA and I won't miss it. My HD antenna is working great and there are a ton of over the air channels here in northern VA. The few things I like that aren't OTA I can cherry pick on DVD, iTunes, Netflix or elsewhere far cheaper. Time to finish wiring the house and ditch cable TV once and for all!
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
That's annoying! They are finishing the physical installation of fibre in my neighborhood now

Oh well - I guess I should thank them. Now even if I stay with Comcast or switch to FIOS, I'll likely drop cable - cable card has been a huge PITA and I won't miss it. My HD antenna is working great and there are a ton of over the air channels here in northern VA. The few things I like that aren't OTA I can cherry pick on DVD, iTunes, Netflix or elsewhere far cheaper. Time to finish wiring the house and ditch cable TV once and for all!
The copy protection at this point is only for HBO, FIOS and all providers are being forced by HBO to implement this. I suspect the remainder of the Premium channels (Cinimax, Showtime, etc... will also require carriers to implement it soon as weel)

But FIOS is for the going to be a lot less restrictive then other providers - Comcast restricts everything but local, not because they are required to, but because it is easier.

I am not recommending that you stay with Cable, just making sure you understand what is being implemented.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
DocNo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys
The copy protection at this point is only for HBO, FIOS and all providers are being forced by HBO to implement this. I suspect the remainder of the Premium channels (Cinimax, Showtime, etc... will also require carriers to implement it soon as weel)
Thanks for the clarification. The OP didn't specify so I just assumed Comcast level of "nuke everything" - this is much more reasonable and I don't have an issue with the commercial free premium channels being protected.

I just hope that's where it ends.... It will sure make me wary of any deals with a contracted time period...
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
jrtroo
User

MOST Comcast localities only protect the premium channels. SOME Comcast localities are more locked down. TW is the one that locks down nearly everything in nearly every market.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
HBO owns Cinemax, so Cinemax will do whatever HBO does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote