TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #31
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Are you saying my comment on the behavior of the deleted items folders on Suggestion recording machines that I have personally watched over many years is wrong? and if so, how is it wrong?
I can't speak for scandia but I'm assuming part of the issue is that your original post was phrased as an absolute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat
If you're recording suggestions the Deleted Items folder purges within 24 hours
That might make it seem like turning on suggestions also set a hard time limit on deleted items (rather than suggestions displacing deleted items)

If you'd phrased it more like:
"In my exprience, on a variety of TiVos over the years, enabling suggestions will push things out of deleted items within about a day."
I don't think anyone could reasonably take issue with it. It was phrasing it as an apparently universal truth; rather than a personal (if prolonged) observation that probably triggered that (over)reaction.

Now I can think of a few oddball situations, mostly involving starting with a near empty TiVo, were suggestions couldn't purge deleted items in a day.

Take a brand new Premier XL for example. It can hold over a hundred hours of HD content. So record and delete a couple shows, then kick on suggestions. Even if it used both tuners 24 hours a day it'd take a few days to fill up and displace those deleted items.

Or I guess if you thumbsed down every suggestion eventually you'd run the TiVo out of things to suggest and it'd take far longer to displace deleted items.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #32
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Now I can think of a few oddball situations, mostly involving starting with a near empty TiVo, were suggestions couldn't purge deleted items in a day.

Take a brand new Premier XL for example. It can hold over a hundred hours of HD content. So record and delete a couple shows, then kick on suggestions. Even if it used both tuners 24 hours a day it'd take a few days to fill up and displace those deleted items.

Or I guess if you thumbsed down every suggestion eventually you'd run the TiVo out of things to suggest and it'd take far longer to displace deleted items.
That's still assuming that the user allows the tivo to manage itself rather than the user deleting recordings from the NPL and/or the RDF as they see fit. That's where the "too many variables" enters the picture.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #33
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Are you saying my comment on the behavior of the deleted items folders on Suggestion recording machines that I have personally watched over many years is wrong?
No.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #34
jhjones75

FWIW, I have had the RDF folder count against my space when I've done transfers with pyTivo. Stuff has failed to transfer until i have deleted items in there. And that is with suggestions turned off.
jhjones75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #35
PeteB

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Convince her that she wants to have shows in the Recently Deleted folder. There may be that one time she wants to rewatch 'that show' from 2 weeks ago and she will be able to do so, as long as Suggestions are turned off.

She need not worry about the Suggestions folder if she chooses to turn Suggestions back on. Suggestions will be deleted as needed to make room for sheduled recordings and auto record wishlists.
Also, when the hard drive is full, I believe the new Suggestions start deleting old Suggestions.

For a new Tivo, I recommend turning off Suggestions at first. Otherwise the Tivo is recording stuff blindly.

Show her how to get to the Tivo Suggestions list and encourage her to go through and rate the shows that are listed.
The more shows she rates, the better Suggestions will be. Maybe enough to make her want to turn recording of Suggestions back on.
While you are at it, convince her that she likes it when the Tivo queues up remote presses, and then runs them all together a few minutes later. Encourage her to watch all the shows on 1 channel. The more she stays on 1 channel the more agreeable the remote control Tivo experience will become.
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote