TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Tiv02003UniqueID

Channel Changing Issues

A poster on another forum had the exact same problem that I am having (with the same equipment) and summarized it better than I could, so I will just paste her summary below. Unfortunately, she never received a solution to the problem (by the way I have this problem with the serial connection and IR blaster connection. I have tried both separately.):

My Series 2 TIVO suddenly started experiencing the same channel changing problems the others described. One moment it was working fine, and then suddenly it's been unable to correctly change channels when recording programs. It was no gradual change either; it just suddenly started having problems.

I have a Motorola box, connected via serial port to TIVO for the channel changing. (I have tried IR in the past, but have had VERY poor success with channel changing using this method - especially for the 3-digit channels - so I don't consider this a viable option that would "improve" or "fix" the problem.) What I am noticing is that if the cable box needs to change from a higher number to a lower number, TIVO first changes the channel to the correct number, then almost immediately goes down 1 more number. Vice versa for the other direction - the channel ends up changing to a number that is 1 higher. However, if the cable box is already positioned at the correct channel (and I have used the cable box remote to do this, so TIVO does not know that the channel has been changed), TIVO leaves it there and records the correct channel. I can understand this last bit if TIVO had just been recording on that same channel, but not when I've used the cable box remote (unknown to TIVO) to change it. Seems like TIVO would still try to change the channel (I dunno... maybe it does, but the cable box knows it's already where it's supposed to be and ignores the signal to change channels???)

Occasionally, TIVO will record the correct channel, but it's really hit or miss. For example, out of a block of 6 programs on 6 different channels, sometimes (actually, most of the time) I might get only 1 channel changed correctly, and "garbage" (wrong channels) for the other 5. But other times, I might get 4 or 5 channels changing correctly. And it doesn't seem to matter whether the channels are single digit, double digit, or triple digit. (I know with IR I really had trouble with the triple digit channels). But more often than not, I am noticing that the channel changes are usually NOT working correctly for most, if not all, of my programs. Getting 4 or 5 out of 6 correct temporarily lulls me into thinking it's "working" better, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to last for long.

I have tried the following "fixes", but with little or no success:
1. Turned off the power button on the Motorola cable box and then powered back on.
2. Physically unplugged the cable box from the power outlet, then plugged back in.
3. Restarted TIVO from the menus.
4. Physically unplugged TIVO from the power outlet, then plugged back in.
5. Disconnected the physical serial cable from both the TIVO and from the cable box, then reconnected them again. (The only thing I did NOT do was replace the physical serial cable with another).
6. As a last resort, ran Guided Setup again on TIVO.
The only discernable improvement with any of these "fixes" is that usually the channel changing was not quite as severe... for a short time (i.e., less than 1 day), that is - then it went back to having problems with nearly every channel change.

I am assuming that the problem lies with the TIVO because when I use the cable box remote (had to dig that one up, since I normally only use the TIVO remote) to directly change channels, there is no problem whatsoever. But when I use the TIVO remote - which means the signal is first going through TIVO - the channels do not change correctly; they go 1 more up or down. This goes for entering the channel number in via the numeric keys or using the up/down channel buttons.

Is this problem then a symptom of other problems with my TIVO? Or should I try totally replacing the physical serial port cable? Could the serial port on the cable box (or TIVO) suddenly "go bad"? Or do I switch to IR channel changing... (but only if there's a way to make the IR option work better)? As it is now, my TIVO is virtually worthless for making recordings (which is what I rely the most on it to do, as I rarely watch live TV). Any help or ideas (beyond getting a new TIVO - which I can't afford right now) would most be appreciated.

Last edited by Tiv02003UniqueID : 07-26-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Tiv02003UniqueID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
sharkster

I truly hope you are able to find a solution for this, but I never did. I had two Series 2 Tivos (one Toshiba SD-H400 and one Tivo brand) and suddenly, a the same time they both started having the worst problem changing channels and also not even being able to access certain channels.

Talked to the cable co (Charter) and talked to Tivo. Each said that there had been no changes or updates to cause this problem.

Changed from Serial to IR. One Tivo was working better with the IR, but still problematic (I could then access the channels that were being blocked, but was still getting a lot of incorrect channel-changing), and the other one no improvement at all. I even tried replacing the cables with new ones and that didn't make a bit of difference.

I finally couldn't handle it anymore and replaced them with Premieres. Thankfully, the Premieres don't have to use a serial or IR connector for channel-changing and the problem has been 100% eliminated.

I think that something that changed, probably with digital cable, just didn't jive with the old Series 2 boxes. Here anyway, and maybe in some other locations, but the problem escalated in the exact same way on both boxes on the same day, so something was up, to which nobody was admitting.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
steph004

I am having the exact same issue. Series 2 with serial cable to Motorola box. I've had the same set up for several years. Now within the last 2 weeks I'm about 50/50 for it hitting the right channel. Mine usually ends up one channel off...for example, it should be Ch 42, but ends up on Ch 41. I watch it change and the box actually goes to 42 then somehow falls off the number to the one below it. No idea what is going on, but would love to hear a solution if anyone finds one.
steph004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
sharkster

My cable boxes were Motorola also. I really think that some cable companies in some areas made changes that precluded the type of channel-changing on the Series 2 from working right. Otherwise it wouldn't have happened to both of my Tivos on the same day.

I ended up with two problems - 1) couldn't access many of the channels in the 100+ range and; 2) changing to wrong channels more frequently. Maybe the Serial and IR ports in the Motorola boxes just ceased to communicate properly with the Tivo box. I don't know, but I tried until I was blue in the face to find out, or figure out myself, what had changed after 8 years. Never did and both Charter and Tivo people were perplexed at my problem.

The Tivos now don't use your cable box. Instead, there is a slot in the back of the Tivo where the 'CableCARD' goes and that replaces the box. The good part - no additional cables for channel changing. The only bad part I've found is that I can no longer access 'on demand'.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Tiv02003UniqueID

Channel Changing Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiv02003UniqueID View Post
A poster on another forum had the exact same problem that I am having (with the same equipment) and summarized it better than I could, so I will just paste her summary below. Unfortunately, she never received a solution to the problem (by the way I have this problem with the serial connection and IR blaster connection. I have tried both separately.):

My Series 2 TIVO suddenly started experiencing the same channel changing problems the others described. One moment it was working fine, and then suddenly it's been unable to correctly change channels when recording programs. It was no gradual change either; it just suddenly started having problems.

I have a Motorola box, connected via serial port to TIVO for the channel changing. (I have tried IR in the past, but have had VERY poor success with channel changing using this method - especially for the 3-digit channels - so I don't consider this a viable option that would "improve" or "fix" the problem.) What I am noticing is that if the cable box needs to change from a higher number to a lower number, TIVO first changes the channel to the correct number, then almost immediately goes down 1 more number. Vice versa for the other direction - the channel ends up changing to a number that is 1 higher. However, if the cable box is already positioned at the correct channel (and I have used the cable box remote to do this, so TIVO does not know that the channel has been changed), TIVO leaves it there and records the correct channel. I can understand this last bit if TIVO had just been recording on that same channel, but not when I've used the cable box remote (unknown to TIVO) to change it. Seems like TIVO would still try to change the channel (I dunno... maybe it does, but the cable box knows it's already where it's supposed to be and ignores the signal to change channels???)

Occasionally, TIVO will record the correct channel, but it's really hit or miss. For example, out of a block of 6 programs on 6 different channels, sometimes (actually, most of the time) I might get only 1 channel changed correctly, and "garbage" (wrong channels) for the other 5. But other times, I might get 4 or 5 channels changing correctly. And it doesn't seem to matter whether the channels are single digit, double digit, or triple digit. (I know with IR I really had trouble with the triple digit channels). But more often than not, I am noticing that the channel changes are usually NOT working correctly for most, if not all, of my programs. Getting 4 or 5 out of 6 correct temporarily lulls me into thinking it's "working" better, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to last for long.

I have tried the following "fixes", but with little or no success:
1. Turned off the power button on the Motorola cable box and then powered back on.
2. Physically unplugged the cable box from the power outlet, then plugged back in.
3. Restarted TIVO from the menus.
4. Physically unplugged TIVO from the power outlet, then plugged back in.
5. Disconnected the physical serial cable from both the TIVO and from the cable box, then reconnected them again. (The only thing I did NOT do was replace the physical serial cable with another).
6. As a last resort, ran Guided Setup again on TIVO.
The only discernable improvement with any of these "fixes" is that usually the channel changing was not quite as severe... for a short time (i.e., less than 1 day), that is - then it went back to having problems with nearly every channel change.

I am assuming that the problem lies with the TIVO because when I use the cable box remote (had to dig that one up, since I normally only use the TIVO remote) to directly change channels, there is no problem whatsoever. But when I use the TIVO remote - which means the signal is first going through TIVO - the channels do not change correctly; they go 1 more up or down. This goes for entering the channel number in via the numeric keys or using the up/down channel buttons.

Is this problem then a symptom of other problems with my TIVO? Or should I try totally replacing the physical serial port cable? Could the serial port on the cable box (or TIVO) suddenly "go bad"? Or do I switch to IR channel changing... (but only if there's a way to make the IR option work better)? As it is now, my TIVO is virtually worthless for making recordings (which is what I rely the most on it to do, as I rarely watch live TV). Any help or ideas (beyond getting a new TIVO - which I can't afford right now) would most be appreciated.

I heard back from TiVo customer support yesterday evening and they suggested that I reset the IR settings and try to find a different speed setting to resolve the problem. I picked the 10006-c setting for the Moto box and so far so good. While I would have preferred the serial connection, I can live with this if it works. I will let you know if I run into any problems.

As for substituting my TiVo Series 2 with a Premiere, that won't work for me for now since I like to use OnDemand and my area has yet to receive coverage for that feature with the Premiere.

Thanks again for the input.
Tiv02003UniqueID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
sharkster

Yeah, that's the one bummer about Premiere (that I didn't even realize going in) - no On Demand for most of us. I guess they are working on that.

Hope it continues to work! Man, I had all those codes memorized for a while when I was trying to find one that worked. Strange strange situation! Best wishes.