TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Scarpad

Premiere working with new Vizio Google TV Box

Looking at preordering the box and it works with a conventional Cable Box
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Huh??

Did you leave out some words, or a link?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
djones18

I presume the OP meant will this new Vizio Google TV STB work when connected between the TiVo Premiere and your TV via HDMI cable. I have the same question. This Vizio device will be available in mid-August for $99 and is in direct competition with other streaming devices such as Apple TV and Roku.

I'm interested in preordering once I know it will work with my TiVo XL4 connected via HDMI to my flat screen LCD TV.
djones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
atmuscarella

I wouldn't preorder this until I saw some reviews. After all it is still just Google TV which is still being panned by most reviewers compared to other streaming devices. Plus on top of that no one knows how well this Vizio device is going to work yet. I have the Logitech Revenue and really don't find allot of use for it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
jdmass

From what I could read about it, it doesn't appear to work with a cable box, it simply coexists with one. It appears to be a Roku/Apple TV competitor and has no interaction with a cable box - conventional or otherwise.

Isn't this just another (Google's 3rd) attempt at a streaming device? The Google TV failed, the Nexus Q bombed, and now this. We'll see. Maybe three's the charm? (I wouldn't bet on it -- Vizio's Google Android Tablet has been showing up on clearance sites).
jdmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
tomm1079

i was all set and going to get this but the specs turned me away.

I have a gen 1 google tv and i love the built in IR that controls my Tivo. The vizio box does not have that.

Im leaning towards getting the sony Google TV box that just came out. Those specs look amazing...and the file support for streaming is top notch
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Too bad that wasn't the case with the Revue. That was a steaming pile. They could never even get the audio to work right when you had a multi-channel system.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
djones18

Thanks everyone for piping in on this. I'm gonna hold off for now. I thought these Google TV devices connected between the STB and the TV, then via IR dongle controlled the STB (TiVo?) and overlayed a display on top of the STB display to enable additional Google TV functionality. Glad that issue is clarified for this new device. Appears it acts as another streaming device with ability to have web pages on the TV screen.

Anyway, I will look at the apparent new Sony version of the Google TV box mentioned here.
djones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones18 View Post
Thanks everyone for piping in on this. I'm gonna hold off for now. I thought these Google TV devices connected between the STB and the TV, then via IR dongle controlled the STB (TiVo?) and overlayed a display on top of the STB display to enable additional Google TV functionality. Glad that issue is clarified for this new device. Appears it acts as another streaming device with ability to have web pages on the TV screen.

Anyway, I will look at the apparent new Sony version of the Google TV box mentioned here.
The concept of having access to the Internet is good but I can tell you didn't workout so well for the Logitech Revue. Honestly for the price of the sony unit I would look at a tunerless low cost PC. I currently have the 3 TiVos, a receiver,a blu-ray player, Roku, NeoTV (Netgear), Logitech Revue and a low end HTPC that can all do some type of streaming. My Premiere and the HTPC get used 99% of the time and between the 2 provide access to pretty much everything possible.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
tomm1079

The Revue is a wonderful unit. I am looking to upgrade it. but with the hacks coming out tomorrow for it i might hold off.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
The Revue is a wonderful unit.
Whats so wonderful about it? For anything it does I have something else that does it better.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
celtic pride

what hacks are coming out for the logitch revue? judt curios because i use to have 2 of them but i had too many problems trying to watch videos on them.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
celtic pride

BTW i got rid of my revue to buy a laptop.I hook that up to my hdtv with an hdmi cable . BTW i see where netgear just came out with a NEW neo tv box which has, you tube ,netflix ,vudu, and can also push your laptop to an hdtv wirelessly for only $49.99! compare that price for netgears push2tv box which costs $99.00 and doesnt have netflix vudu,or you tube! im thinking of buying me one ,if i do i will leave my tv hooked up to my bedroom hdtv,then i will put the neo tv box in the living room,that way i can push the signal wirelessly to the tv in the living room from the bedroom!,this way i dont always have to disconnect my computer from my bedroom to hook it up in the living room.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Whats so wonderful about it? For anything it does I have something else that does it better.
-Local Video Streaming with Plex
-Love the netflix speed
-apps (sideloading)

I love the fact between tivo and google tv i have everything i need on a single input.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1079 View Post
-Local Video Streaming with Plex
-Love the netflix speed
-apps (sideloading)

I love the fact between tivo and google tv i have everything i need on a single input.
I can see how/why some people would like one input, simple is always good.

I run everything through a receiver with 6 HDMI inputs and use a Harmony one universal remote so changing between devices is a simple one button affair so I haven't considered it an advantage.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio