TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
HFChristie

Suggestions recorded excluding favorites

I just got a new TiVo drive with a completely clean OS. I set 10 or 15 thumb ratings, and assigned 4 season passes.

2 days later,mTiVo started to do its thing, recording programs based on my ratings.

However, it's excluding ALL programs that actually match my favorites exactly! For example, I rated The Closer and NCIS as 2 umbs up. tiVo suggestions them recorded Rizzoli &Isles, Perception, Law & Order, and VSI. it did NOT record any Closer ormNCIS.

Then, after I added Season Passes for episodes in TiVo Suggestions, it STOPPED recording them!

Why is TIVo excluding exact matches when recording on its own?
HFChristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
LifeIsABeach

No one really knows how suggestions work. The algorithm might assume that anything you have a season pass for you are already recording the episodes you want so it won't record any others. Try giving those shows 3 thumbs up and see if that helps.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

I can pretty much say for sure that the Suggestions algorithm does *not* exclude items for which you have a Season Pass.

I have a first-run SP for NCIS on CBS, but I frequently get NCIS episodes recorded for me on USA Network. I have a SP for The Closer on TNT, but have occasionally found episodes recorded from my local Fox affiliate.

So while I won't claim to know the magic behind Suggestions, this isn't part of it. :-)
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
chimerax

TiVo Suggestions mostly records the exact matches. In wish list search we can exclude some items by using the thumbs option. I think you have selected some wrong option (maybe thumbs down) which made TiVo to exclude those programs. Remove thumbs and again give more thumbs up to those programs and try again. If it again exclude the programs that matches then contact TiVo support.

Last edited by chimerax : 07-26-2012 at 11:48 PM.
chimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
LifeIsABeach

A reboot never hurts either.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Sylvia Caras

Is it fruitless to wonder how sophisticated Tivo Suggestions is? I have a new Premiere and having been thumbing channels and programs. But it doesn't feel like I'm having an impact!

I learned how to use the +/-,() thumbs options from this community, and that has been helpful in removing duplicates for the SPs.

I have SPs to two cooking shows - TiVo keeps offering me more; I thumbs down them, once, twice, their channels, and still ...

I have chosen a handful of movies to record, and given some of them a thumbs up, but is TiVo only seeing a broad category like 'action' or 'mystery'? What about 'foreign' or 'non-English'?

Suggestions keeps offering 'old' episodes - I wish I could set it to 'only new' for series, as I have for the SPs.

Since my SPs programs so far haven't come to their season, I'm taking the time to try to figure things out.
Sylvia Caras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia Caras View Post
I have a new Premiere and having been thumbing channels and programs.

I thumbs down them, once, twice, their channels, and still ...
Their channels? You can't give a thumbs rating to a channel.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Their channels? You can't give a thumbs rating to a channel.
Yes you can, go into the channels list where you check the channels you recieve, or want to show or your guide, and do a thumbs up on each channel to mark as your favorites. Thats probably what he meant.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Yes you can, go into the channels list where you check the channels you recieve, or want to show or your guide, and do a thumbs up on each channel to mark as your favorites. Thats probably what he meant.
Ok, true enough.
I guess that could be confusing because (to the best of my knowledge) favorite channels only affect what gets displayed in the guide (if it's set that way) and has nothing to do with the suggestion feature.

So setting a channel to favorites (or not) shouldn't influence the tendancy to pick suggestions from that channel (or not).
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

Sylvia - seems like you are looking for wishlist functionality. Check them out. Also, note that all manual recordings give a auto thumbs up. It will take a few days and more thumbs for suggestions to dial it in better.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
Sylvia Caras

[quote=Jonathan_S;9223483]Ok, true enough.
favorite channels only affect what gets displayed in the guide (if it's set that way) and has nothing to do with the suggestion feature.

- I didn't realize that. When I do a manual recording, I am offered a choice of all channels or favorites. So it is worth making the selections.

I didn't notice in the guide, which I don't use often.

Sylvia
Sylvia Caras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
No, you can't.
That's probably what he meant, but marking a channel as a favorite is not giving it a rating.