TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
aaronkn

Need power supply for TCD130 Series 2

Have a Series 2 TCD130 (AT&T brand TiVo) which appears to have died. No reaction whatsoever when I plug it in, so it seems like the power supply. Does anyone have one for this model for a cheap price? I've seen many go for under $20 on eBay, but just not for this model. Not willing to pay the $70 weaknees is asking given the overall value of this model tivo. But given that I have lifetime service on it, I'd be willing to try and get some more life out of it for little investment.

(In case anyone from TiVo is reading this -- I'd of course be willing to buy an XL4 if TiVo would allow me to transfer the lifetime sub.)

Thanks.
1 2-tuner Premiere
1 Premiere XL4
aaronkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkn View Post
Have a Series 2 TCD130 (AT&T brand TiVo) which appears to have died. No reaction whatsoever when I plug it in, so it seems like the power supply. Does anyone have one for this model for a cheap price? I've seen many go for under $20 on eBay, but just not for this model. Not willing to pay the $70 weaknees is asking given the overall value of this model tivo. But given that I have lifetime service on it, I'd be willing to try and get some more life out of it for little investment.

(In case anyone from TiVo is reading this -- I'd of course be willing to buy an XL4 if TiVo would allow me to transfer the lifetime sub.)

Thanks.
If you are handy with a soldering iron you might be able to just replace the capacitors and get it going. See if eBay or Craigslist has the same model without lifetime. Those usually go pretty cheap. If all else fails, another lifetime S2 is not that much. As for transferring the lifetime to a newer model - ain't gonna happen.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkn View Post

Thanks.
I wouldn't be surprised if the problem was "capacitor plague", but if you know how to use an ohmmeter, check to make sure the AC input jack is still connected, and doesn't just look that way.

Also, you could ask Weaknees if they'll give you anything as a trade-in or core charge on the old supply.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote