TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

American Ninja Warrior...spoiler

Only one of the 24 finalists made it through stage 2 then failed part way thru stage 3.

I wonder if Mount Madoriyama is going to be a permanent skyline landmark in Vegas? Or will they tear it down and rebuild.

Last edited by omnibus : 07-24-2012 at 04:14 AM.
omnibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Er... that's a huge spoiler in the title of your thread.

Thread titles can't contain spoilers, and if you're going to post spoilers inside a thread you need to either put an air date for the episode in the title, or the word "spoilers".
Old 07-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
hckyplyr

agreed... thats crazy to put a spoiler in the title...
hckyplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Editing the title of your post doesn't change the title of the thread. You'll have to ask the mods to change it for you at this point, I think.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
tiams

I have not watched last nights episode and just saw your thread title. Why would you spoil it like that?
There is an American Ninja warrior thread you could have posted in.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
plateau10

Geez, thanks a lot for the spoiler.
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
DouglasPHill

I'd like to know the timing involved. How much time between qualifying in the regionals and then the Vegas thing? How much time between stage one in the Vegas thing and then doing stage 2? I'm sure stage 3 and 4 immediately follow 2.

And, how long does it really take to go thru 100 contestants? (and filming) hours? days?
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I don't know for sure, but there's definitely a while between the regionals and Vegas; for one contestant last night they mentioned he'd bulked up since the regionals (or something like that).

I'll bet they do all the finals in one or maybe two days. They have all those people traveling to Vegas, they can't afford to have it last a week or whatever. For stage 1 they have a lot of people but the stage is timed, so they have SOME idea of how long it will take. It was 2m 10s, right (weird time!), so for 100 people that's a bit over 3.5 hours just raw running time (we can assume people who fall take the remainder of their time, on average, to get out of the pool). Then they have to reset the equipment like the rolling log, rope swing, etc. Then there's the showboating at the beginning and end (for those who make it)

If you assume an average of 5 minutes per run, that's just over 8 hours. If they start early, like 7am, and they don't need breaks (why would they?) they'd be done before 4pm.

For the second stage it's far fewer people and even less time (1:45 IIRC). Then for the final stages it's not timed, but they expect (and got) very very few.

I think they COULD have done it all in one day, without massive amounts of stress.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

Sorry guy. I realized my mistake after the first reply and tried to edit the title using the advanced option. It seemed to work but I logged on earlier today and it still showed the OP with title. Don't know why.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
Sorry guy. I realized my mistake after the first reply and tried to edit the title using the advanced option. It seemed to work but I logged on earlier today and it still showed the OP with title. Don't know why.
I said above:
Quote:
Editing the title of your post doesn't change the title of the thread. You'll have to ask the mods to change it for you at this point, I think.
I think you can change the title of the thread for the first 5 minutes or something like that. That's what I've heard but I've never tried it myself. After that you have to ask the moderators.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
mattack

Stupid freaking local NBC station. We had baseball or something, so ANW was on a common other channel.. But it aired ANW as a ONE hour show.. only the second hour.

I know there are a bunch of reruns on G4, and I'll hopefully catch one of those.. (The G4 reruns also show a 2 hour show with a HIGHER episode # than the finals???) The G4 guide data also shows the 'finals' as a 1 hour show too.. So I'll just record a bunch of 'em.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 AM   #12
spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Stupid freaking local NBC station. We had baseball or something, so ANW was on a common other channel.. But it aired ANW as a ONE hour show.. only the second hour.
[...]
No, they actually aired both hours, but the guide data was messed up -- the previous hour was listed as Fear Factor when it was actually the first hour of ANW.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
plateau10

I've only watched about the last 1.5 seasons (and even that just on NBC). Anyone with a lot of experience with Sasuke care to weigh in on this? I think the stage three course in Vegas was almost impossibly difficult. Here is the latest winner of Sasuke:

SASUKE (Ninja Warrior) 27 2011 Fall 秋 YUUJI URUSHIHARA TOTAL VICTORY!!!!!
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Is it me or does that course look a lot easier (though that guy just breezed through the cliff hanger in a way that no American has, I think).
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
vertigo235

I think it's got harder each time someone defeated it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Thanks for the spoiler.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
No, they actually aired both hours, but the guide data was messed up -- the previous hour was listed as Fear Factor when it was actually the first hour of ANW.
Sorry, that's what I meant.. I could tell the recording was of a show in progress.

I did wonder why Fear Factor was airing on KNTV AND KICU that same night, with the same episode.. (and my SP got the KNTV airing at 10.. I'm 99% sure I had seen that ep before, so deleted it after FFing through it)

oh but yeah, my comment about the G4 airings is still valid, unless it too has been fixed -- it shows the last of the finals as 1 hr.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Wow this year's stage 3 was SO much harder than last year's in Japan. Heck, this year's stage 2 looked harder than that! Crazy.

I'll bet they just didn't want to give out the money to anyone
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #18
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Banhammer!
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #19
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Wow this year's stage 3 was SO much harder than last year's in Japan. Heck, this year's stage 2 looked harder than that! Crazy.

I'll bet they just didn't want to give out the money to anyone
I'm not even sure if the Japanese version included a cash price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #20
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

By "they" I mean the American Ninja Warrior show, this year. That's why it was so difficult. I think they should give $100K or so to the "top finisher", if no one wins the whole thing.

Which brings up the question: what if there were more than one person who made it to the top? Do they split the money? Each get $500K? Best time wins it all?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #21
DouglasPHill

How about rolling over the $500K each year until someone wins? Or, if no one wins, pay out the $500K split among those who made it to stage 2? or split among the top 10 finishers with the top guy getting more and the 10th guy getting less.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
DouglasPHill

Wanted to add that the course did look harder than in years past. But, many guys fell on the rolling thing in stage 2 and the ball thing in stage 1. Both of which just take some thought before attempting. I would propose that the Japanese contestants were better prepared for their attempts than the American Ninjas were.

Or, even though the builders attempted to duplicate the Japanese course there were subtle differences that made this one harder (by accident or by design).