TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #421
tiams

The producers really put a lot of good acts on the same night tonight. They must have really wanted Turf, Edon, the father-daughter act, and Hockenberry to get through.

Howard was just downright mean to Ulysses. I was thinking about the man's children and grandchildren at home watching all proud.
I also hated how he kept talking over Sharon and told her she should give up her turn to talk because America only wants to hear him. If he is a judge next year I won't be watching.

That little Sebastian is adorable! And so were the dogs!!!!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #422
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I also hate how Howard is all about Horse but pissed at Howie for loving on Big Barry.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #423
tiams

My 9 year old figured out how Dittleman did his trick without me telling her.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #424
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
My 9 year old figured out how Dittleman did his trick without me telling her.
Ok, tell me, because I'm apparently slower than your 9 year old.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #425
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Ok, tell me, because I'm apparently slower than your 9 year old.
You can open the cases from both sides. One direction says No deal and the other direction says this is your case.

The note in the sealed envelope had a panel he moved with his finger to reveal the correct number once he knew it. You can see him use his finger to slide the panel before he turns it around.

My daughter only figured out the first part though.

Last edited by tiams : 07-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #426
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
You can open the cases from both sides. One direction says No deal and the other direction says this is your case.

The note in the sealed envelope had a panel he moved with his finger to reveal the correct number once he knew it. You can see him use his finger to slide the panel.
Yeah, I figured there was a gimmick with the "sealed" envelope, but wasn't sure what. I wasn't watching that closely, so I missed the panel movement. I guess that if he were able to genuinely have a sealed envelope with the prediction, he would (or should) have given it to an impartial observer.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #427
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams

The note in the sealed envelope had a panel he moved with his finger to reveal the correct number once he knew it. You can see him use his finger to slide the panel.
I just rewatched it and have two problems with that:

1. The numbers were only on one side so the case only opens one way with the number facing front. I also watched and they show the time from where he is handed the case till he opens it and he never flips the case over. That doesn't preclude some kind of switch or latch to open an extra panel in the case though.

2. There's not enough room on the paper for 16 numbers or even 9 numbers assuming he can just add a 1 in front. The 4 was dead center and there were no seems or visible seems. I even watched him flip the card in slow mo. Also He barely slides his finger at all. maybe he simply stuck the 4 on at the last second or something.

On an unrelated note, the cannon guy was interesting, but insanity isn't a talent.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #428
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post

1. The numbers were only on one side so the case only opens one way with the number facing front. I also watched and they show the time from where he is handed the case till he opens it and he never flips the case over. That doesn't preclude some kind of switch or latch to open an extra panel in the case though.

2. There's not enough room on the paper for 16 numbers or even 9 numbers assuming he can just add a 1 in front. The 4 was dead center and there were no seems or visible seems. I even watched him flip the card in slow mo. Also He barely slides his finger at all. maybe he simply stuck the 4 on at the last second or something.

On an unrelated note, the cannon guy was interesting, but insanity isn't a talent.
When Dittleman opens the case he does it by lifting the top upwards. The models open them by pulling the bottom downwards. You can see one of the models even peeks inside her case while she is opening to make sure she has done it correctly. Watch model #9.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #429
busyba
The Funcooker

The mariachi kid was off tonight. I think he picked a bad song for his talent. He's much better belting in the higher register. He was spending too much time in the lower register and having trouble staying on pitch.

Horse's routine was sloppily executed this time around.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #430
tiams

Quote:

The number is centered because that is where the window that reveals whatever number he wants is located. The panel with all the numbers in behind it. If it is shaped in a circle there is plenty of room for all the numbers.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #431
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams

The number is centered because that is where the window that reveals whatever number he wants is located. The panel with all the numbers in behind it. If it is shaped in a circle there is plenty of room for all the numbers.
But if there was something like that it wouldn't look like the 4 was stuck on the page. I doubt such a mechanism would look seamless. Plus there would need to be a part of the wheel that stuck out to spin. Like I said he barely moved his fingers so unless he started out near 4 that wouldn't be it. If the number was at the opposite end of the wheel, operating such a mechanism would be very noticeable.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #432
tiams

Quote:
But if there was something like that it wouldn't look like the 4 was stuck on the page. I doubt such a mechanism would look seamless. Plus there would need to be a part of the wheel that stuck out to spin. Like I said he barely moved his fingers so unless he started out near 4 that wouldn't be it. If the number was at the opposite end of the wheel, operating such a mechanism would be very noticeable.
You are forgetting that we do not see a continuous shot of him taking the card out of the envelope and then turning it around. The camera was off him for quite a while. Plenty of time to manipulate the card. And trust me, he manipulated the card. He didn't read Howie's mind.

I'm curious to hear how you explain it.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #433
busyba
The Funcooker

I think there were 16 cards in the envelope.

That being said, his hand movements as he held the card prior to turning it around seemed odd, so some kind of manipulation is possible as well.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #434
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Notice that when he opens the case he lays it face down and then swings the back up. All the others cases started with the back up and the face was flipped down.

And the 4 isn't dead center. It's to the left a little bit. Almost like it might have been added to the paper after it was pulled out of the envelope, but before he turned it around for the audience to see.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #435
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor
Almost like it might have been added to the paper after it was pulled out of the envelope, but before he turned it around for the audience to see.
Which is what I posted as my theory.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #436
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I'm still not entirely certain how the envelope part worked... I don't know if it's a slider, but there was definitely some sort of sleight of hand with that. I'm betting you guys are right, though, about the briefcases; open it one way (or with one set of latches), it shows one thing, open it a different way it shows something else.

I think the fact that we're still talking about it, even though we've all got a good idea how we think at least part of the illusion worked, means that his is a pretty good act. He should go through, along with the earth harp. After that, I'd say Lindsey Norton, and Unity in Motion to round out the 4 moving on.

ETA: and I haven't been watching... how in the heck did Horse get even this far? A live action version of "Ow! My Balls!" from Idiocracy? Really?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #437
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar
ETA: and I haven't been watching... how in the heck did Horse get even this far? A live action version of "Ow! My Balls!" from Idiocracy? Really?
Three words. Judge Howard Stern.

And Idiocracy was the first thing I thought of when he initially went through.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #438
getreal
postcrastinator

Watch Dittelman spin the case around before opening it. There is a red velvet lining on both sides of the inside of each briefcase -- for a good reason.

Dittelman Mentalism Trick - AGT Q4

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #439
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
The producers really put a lot of good acts on the same night tonight. They must have really wanted Turf, Edon, the father-daughter act, and Hockenberry to get through.

Howard was just downright mean to Ulysses. I was thinking about the man's children and grandchildren at home watching all proud.
I also hated how he kept talking over Sharon and told her she should give up her turn to talk because America only wants to hear him. If he is a judge next year I won't be watching.

That little Sebastian is adorable! And so were the dogs!!!!

Agreed to the bolded. How did these get grouped the way they did? A bunch of these would stay if they had competed in the other group.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #440
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Agreed to the bolded. How did these get grouped the way they did? A bunch of these would stay if they had competed in the other group.
One of the offhand comments by Howard during the judging makes me think that it was a random draw, but I don't think there's been any official disclosure about it.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #441
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Well, America and the judges got it right (IMO). All four acts that went through are the ones I would have picked.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #442
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Well, America and the judges got it right (IMO). All four acts that went through are the ones I would have picked.
I would have left out the mind reader and kept the teen female dancer.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #443
bruinfan

slight tangent:

i could've sworn i saw dittleman as an extra in the movie "ted".

the party when marky mark walked into the flash gordon party.. he was a wall flower... i think that was him
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #444
morac
Cat God

This will be Sharon's last year:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...as-got-talent/
Old 08-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #445
Dawghows

Quote:
I went to high school with Ulysses. He used to stand in the hallway between classes and sing. He has a wonderful voice, and an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge of songs from pretty much every conceivable genre.* I don't quite know how he went so far off the rails on this show. My feeling is that he probably initially chose the Theme from The Love Boat just to differentiate himself from the other singers, and then stuck with the idea of theme songs because Howie and Sharon seemed to respond to it. I believe he would have been better off to simply pick songs with regard to how well they showed off his voice, rather than trying to play to what he thought the judges were expecting.

*Interesting anecdote: Ulysses sang at a bar/restaurant near our hometown for over 23 years. The local paper interviewed the owner of the restaurant for an article on Ulysses when he found out he was going to be on AMG. The owner said that in 23 years, she never saw Ulysses use any sheet music, and she never heard anyone request a song he didn't know.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #446
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar
I'm still not entirely certain how the envelope part worked... I don't know if it's a slider, but there was definitely some sort of sleight of hand with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
And the 4 isn't dead center. It's to the left a little bit. Almost like it might have been added to the paper after it was pulled out of the envelope, but before he turned it around for the audience to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Look at the 3:17 mark of the video.

You can see how he sticks the "4" on there with his thumb right before he flips the card around, after taking it out of the envelope. He sticks it on, then flips his hand around to reveal the card. He's also off-camera finding the 4 sticker most likely, when the camera is focused on the ladies opening the remaining cases.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #447
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
This will be Sharon's last year on AGT:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...as-got-talent/
FYP.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #448
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Look at the 3:17 mark of the video.

You can see how he sticks the "4" on there with his thumb right before he flips the card around, after taking it out of the envelope. He sticks it on, then flips his hand around to reveal the card. He's also off-camera finding the 4 sticker most likely, when the camera is focused on the ladies opening the remaining cases.
From 2:55 to 3:05 Dittleman's hands are covered by the case, which gives him LOTS of time to take the sticker from the case and palm it before stepping behind the "envelope", which our minds expect to be a completely enclosed container for the card-reveal. But there is no flap to open. It is simply a dark card in front of the white card which he slides out from the side. There was even more time available during the distraction of having the audience watch the girls open the remaining cases while he could place the "4" sticker onto the reveal card behind the black card/envelope. Our minds fill in the blanks to complete the illusion of the envelope. What we saw was a quick tweak of the sticker placement before turning the card around for the final reveal.

Simple sleight of hand and distraction, yet impressive nonetheless.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #449
inaka

Not saying he didn't also have more time, but you can literally see him put his thumb and PRESS on the card at the 3:17 mark of the video, right is the exact spot that has the "4".

It's a slightly awkward movement, because he presses it, and then has to re-grip the card so when he flips it around the "4" is clear. Otherwise, when he flipped the card, his thumb would be smack dab over the "4".

Nothing special of a trick at all.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #450
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Nothing special of a trick at all.
To be fair, almost all illusions, once deconstructed, are unimpressive and "nothing special".

Like the "Aristocrats" joke, it's all in the delivery. Dittleman delivers.