TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #31
drawz

The inclusion of wifi is clearly not needed appease people like us, but if TiVo wants to have mass market appeal, they do need built-in wifi to appease a much broader audience. MOCA and ethernet cables are not solutions for the general public, plain and simple.

(MOCA maybe if set up by the cable installer and totally transparent to the consumer, but this is not a general public solution for retail devices)
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

That's your opinion - MoCA is very easy to use and is a good solution for almost anyone. It's also a heck of a lot more reliable than wireless which is why Tivo makes it optional (for support reasons alone).

I agree that Tivo should make it easier for consumers by offering a cheap MoCA adapter with the boxes, and you have to have either a wireless router or an AP/switch if you want to install either solution so nothing is truly plug and play.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
That's your opinion - MoCA is very easy to use and is a good solution for almost anyone. It's also a heck of a lot more reliable than wireless which is why Tivo makes it optional (for support reasons alone).

I agree that Tivo should make it easier for consumers by offering a cheap MoCA adapter with the boxes, and you have to have either a wireless router or an AP/switch if you want to install either solution so nothing is truly plug and play.
It's only a good solution if you have a little bit of tech knowledge. My mother can turn on her computer and login to Facebook. That's it. She uses her Tivo that I connected for her. She doesn't know anymore than that and has no desire to learn.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #34
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yes, and wireless won't be plug and play for Mom either, it can be as troublesome to get working as MoCA (which isn't much). That was the point.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #35
klambert

They deserve to be knocked for the lack of Wi-Fi. I have a Roku box for netflix streaming it not only has Wireless N (admittedly only 2.4) built in, but is cheaper than Tivo's adapter.
klambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #36
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yes, and wireless won't be plug and play for Mom either, it can be as troublesome to get working as MoCA (which isn't much). That was the point.
Not nearly as troublesome as MoCa. Wifi is mainstream. MoCa is not. Most people don't know what it is. Most people who have it already in their home via their Verizon FIOS router, don't know what it is. People are going to hear about some new technology and be turned off.

That being said, I am a huge MoCa fan. It's the greatest thing since wifi.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Not nearly as troublesome as MoCa. Wifi is mainstream. MoCa is not. Most people don't know what it is. Most people who have it already in their home via their Verizon FIOS router, don't know what it is. People are going to hear about some new technology and be turned off.

But MoCA is not even a new technology. It's been out for over six years now. It's nothing new. I got my first MoCA devices in Summer 2007 when I first got FiOS.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-27-2012 at 12:12 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

MOCA is a bridging technology that is basically plug and play. How is it "troublesome"? You put some sort of adapter at either end of the coax and it basically turns into a long run of Ethernet.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #39
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Exactly. Or, for the Elite/XL4, you get a single MoCA adapter for the jack nearest your router and then plug the Tivo in wherever you want in the house. That's what I was talking about.

Built-in wireless is fine if all you need is to download program guides and updates. For streaming/transferrring with multiple Tivos, it's entirely a crapshoot.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #40
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
MOCA is a bridging technology that is basically plug and play. How is it "troublesome"? You put some sort of adapter at either end of the coax and it basically turns into a long run of Ethernet.

Dan
It's troublesome because it requires additional stuff that mainstream users, including me, don't understand, want to deal with, or even care about. WiFi is universal and serves well for most. Hell, I'm still running G adapters on my TiVos that aren't hard wired ethernet and that's sufficient for my purposes.

I'm with everyone else....there is no excuse for TiVo not including integrated WiFi as part of what they tout as a premium product.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #41
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
It's troublesome because it requires additional stuff that mainstream users, including me, don't understand, want to deal with, or even care about. WiFi is universal and serves well for most. Hell, I'm still running G adapters on my TiVos that aren't hard wired ethernet and that's sufficient for my purposes.

I'm with everyone else....there is no excuse for TiVo not including integrated WiFi as part of what they tout as a premium product.
I agree. I think there was a time when wifi seemed "troublesome" too for most users. However, wifi had the novelty of freeing people from wires. MoCa seems like a step backwards for someone who has never used it.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #42
seattlewendell

I'm sorry, am I missing some super funny inside joke about why Tivo is misspelled on a Tivo forum?
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewendell View Post
I'm sorry, am I missing some super funny inside joke about why Tivo is misspelled on a Tivo forum?
Talk to the OP. And it's TiVo, not Tivo. Everyone makes spelling errors.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #44
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
It's troublesome because it requires additional stuff that mainstream users, including me, don't understand, want to deal with, or even care about. WiFi is universal and serves well for most. Hell, I'm still running G adapters on my TiVos that aren't hard wired ethernet and that's sufficient for my purposes. .
And when your average user adds another wifi Tivo and streaming sucks or doesn't work at all, who gets the call? Tivo. Or your HDUI is bog-slow because it's too laggy retrieving stuff for the discovery bar over wifi, who gets the call? Tivo.

I can see why they wouldn't include wifi specifically because they don't want to take those calls, when 90+% of the time it's the user's crappy wireless setup.

MoCA, generally speaking, does not have these issues just like wired Ethernet.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #45
vurbano

The last thing I want is wireless with an HD device.