TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Allanon

Copy Protection

Has anyone else noticed that certain TV shows are setting the copyright flag preventing the TiVo from transferring the show opposed to the network flagging all their shows? Today I went to transfer some shows to my living-room TiVo and found a couple had the copyright flag set. These shows were Political Animals and Warehouse 13. I know Warehouse 13 never had the copyright flag until this new season. And Political Animals is the only USA Network show that I know of that has the flag set. Hopefully this doesn't become a common practice.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Didn't happen on my cable system (comcast), so it's not universal.

Latest episodes of Political Animals and Warehouse 13 are not copy protected for me.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Allanon

My cable provider is Suddenlink, hopefully this is just a fluke and won't reoccur.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
sharkster

I've heard here, on other forums, of it happening. Fortunately, I haven't had that happen as long as I'm not trying to transfer anything from my Premieres to one of my old Series 2 machines.

When I get a movie from amazon I notice that I cannot transfer OR stream it, though.

Unfortunately, I let the guy at Tivo who sold me my Premieres talk me into upgrading one of my old Series 2 units to Lifetime, so I could use it for extra space. He lied. I was unable to transfer the stuff I was recording on my Premieres to the S2. Was pissed that, while it still works perfectly well, it is of no use to me now AND I have another $100 invested in it.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Cainebj

just out of curiosity i checked my transfer and I am able to transfer Political Animals.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I've heard here, on other forums, of it happening. Fortunately, I haven't had that happen as long as I'm not trying to transfer anything from my Premieres to one of my old Series 2 machines.

When I get a movie from amazon I notice that I cannot transfer OR stream it, though.

Unfortunately, I let the guy at Tivo who sold me my Premieres talk me into upgrading one of my old Series 2 units to Lifetime, so I could use it for extra space. He lied. I was unable to transfer the stuff I was recording on my Premieres to the S2. Was pissed that, while it still works perfectly well, it is of no use to me now AND I have another $100 invested in it.
I don't know what the salesman told you, but did you really expect to able to transfer HD content directly to your TiVo 2? Assuming it's not copy protected, you could transfer it to your PC, then transfer it from the PC to your TiVo 2. You should also be able to directly transfer any non-copy protected SD recordings.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
VNyght

I am a Suddenlink subscriber as well. Before this week, I never had an issue with copyright protection on any channel/program. Then some HD channels, SYFY and USA among them, were no longer authorized on my Premiere box. Suddenlink's support could not get the cablecard to pair remotely, so a tech was dispatched to replace it. Now the very same channels that would not authorize before are the ones that are setting the copyright flag on everything recorded so far.
VNyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker

Time Warner Cable in NYC sets the copy-prevent flag on every show on every channel that isn't also a broadcast channel.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Time Warner Cable in NYC sets the copy-prevent flag on every show on every channel that isn't also a broadcast channel.
Wow.
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

I'm sure the only reason they don't do the broadcast channels as well is because there probably is some regulation preventing them from doing so.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I don't know what the salesman told you, but did you really expect to able to transfer HD content directly to your TiVo 2? Assuming it's not copy protected, you could transfer it to your PC, then transfer it from the PC to your TiVo 2. You should also be able to directly transfer any non-copy protected SD recordings.
Hi James. My problem was that I did not know better. I didn't have HD until I replaced my S2 boxes with Premieres. So, yeah, I believed what the guy said. I guess I have to take some of the responsibility, in that regard, but I don't think it would have been too much to expect that he would know more than I.

I really don't record but maybe 1% in SD now but, yes, those would transfer.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
jeff92k7

Quote:
Same here for TWC in Dallas.

Quote:
I'm sure the only reason they don't do the broadcast channels as well is because there probably is some regulation preventing them from doing so.
Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. It has been discussed at length before about how anti-customer TWC has become. ...and yes, there is a regulation that prevents them from copy protecting local channels.

Thankfully, streaming negates a lot of the annoyances, but still...
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Hi James. My problem was that I did not know better. I didn't have HD until I replaced my S2 boxes with Premieres. So, yeah, I believed what the guy said. I guess I have to take some of the responsibility, in that regard, but I don't think it would have been too much to expect that he would know more than I.

I really don't record but maybe 1% in SD now but, yes, those would transfer.
Well, as I said, if they're not copy protected, you could transfer them to the PC and then from the PC to the TiVo 2. If they are copy protected, you couldn't transfer them anyway.

Of course, they won't be HD on the TiVo 2.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Church AV Guy

The issue of copy protected content is only going to escalate. I certainly don't see it going away. We need to adapt. Luckily, for every effort in copy inhibiting, there has been an equally clever way found around it... so far.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
The issue of copy protected content is only going to escalate. I certainly don't see it going away. We need to adapt. Luckily, for every effort in copy inhibiting, there has been an equally clever way found around it... so far.
What "clever way around it" is there for copy protected material on a Premiere? Streaming doesn't qualify since you don't actually copy it.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #16
Church AV Guy

Quote:
What "clever way around it" is there for copy protected material on a Premiere? Streaming doesn't qualify since you don't actually copy it.
What exactly are you trying to do?

I am in a VERY rural location and streaming doesn;t qualify because it simply doesn't work. I get about ten seconds of content, 30 seconds of downloading/buffering, then another ten seconds of content, and so forth.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
What exactly are you trying to do?

I am in a VERY rural location and streaming doesn;t qualify because it simply doesn't work. I get about ten seconds of content, 30 seconds of downloading/buffering, then another ten seconds of content, and so forth.
I'm talking Premiere-to-Premiere streaming, not streaming over the net. Your remote location is irrelevant. The subject under discussion is programs recorded on a TiVo being copy protected, not copy protection in general.

Programs recorded on a Premiere that are copy protected cannot be copied. Currently, the only way to view them in a different location is to stream them to another Premiere (other than some kind of remote a/v connection). My question was, what clever way around this have you found?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
busyba
The Funcooker

Just a shot in the dark, but does pytivo honor the copy-protect flag?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
lpwcomp

Quote:
Just a shot in the dark, but does pytivo honor the copy-protect flag?
Sort of. pyTivo does detect that the program is copy protected and does not give you the option to try to transfer it and flags it with that red slashed circle, but that's because the TiVo would reject or ignore the transfer request anyway.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
Church AV Guy

Quote:
I'm talking Premiere-to-Premiere streaming, not streaming over the net. Your remote location is irrelevant. The subject under discussion is programs recorded on a TiVo being copy protected, not copy protection in general.

Programs recorded on a Premiere that are copy protected cannot be copied. Currently, the only way to view them in a different location is to stream them to another Premiere (other than some kind of remote a/v connection). My question was, what clever way around this have you found?
*I* don't have a clever workaround for this as I don't have a Premiere. I can assue you that if history is any indication, once this limitation annoys enought talented people, a clever workaround WILL be found. It might take longer than you would like.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #21
lpwcomp

Quote:
*I* don't have a clever workaround for this as I don't have a Premiere. I can assue you that if history is any indication, once this limitation annoys enought talented people, a clever workaround WILL be found. It might take longer than you would like.
I doubt it. There are plenty of people who have been annoyed for a while now. Premieres have been around for two years. Your assurances are meaningless, especially since you clearly stated that a workaround had already been found for every copy protect problem up to now. Do you even know what the solution for the TiVo 3 was?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
Allanon

My MSNBC Olympic recordings have the copy protection flag. All other Olympic recordings on other channels don't have the flag set. I'm guessing MSNBC sets the flag for everything and I didn't know because this is the first thing I recorded from that channel.