TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Any had trouble transferring TSN's?

My 240 Series 2 power supply is gone again for the second time. Everywhere I've looked so far has them, but for 69.00 bones. The last time (2 years ago) I had to replace it the PS was only 25 bucks. Wow for inflation, huh?

At any rate, I've been looking around and it seems like I can buy an old Series 2 for less than the cost of the PS. I've even seen THDs for less. When I googled the transfer of the TSN I found this.

From everything I've seen it looks like I can do the transfer if it's only for a S1,2,3, or HD. Anyone actually done it?
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
MeInDallas

Are you talking about transferring your lifetime service to another box? What kind of service do you have on the broken Tivo that you want to transfer to another Tivo?
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Are you talking about transferring your lifetime service to another box? What kind of service do you have on the broken Tivo that you want to transfer to another Tivo?
I have a grandfathered 6.95 a month plan I'd like to keep.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
MeInDallas

OK, I have heard of other people actually transferring that to a Premiere and even one guy that I seen here says he got it on an Elite/XL4 model. I think it all depends on the person you get on the phone when you call Tivo and try and transfer the service. I think its like playing roulette. I tried to get the $99 lifetime deal on some HD's that I have and it took me several calls before I actually got it on them. I think its possible though.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

To be specific, TSN = Tivo Service Number and is not a transferable item from Tivo to Tivo. It is on a chip on the motherboard.

Tivo service is another animal and Lifetime Tivo service is not transferable. However, monthly service is transferable to another Tivo. You can log into tivo.com @ My Account, or make one if you do not have it setup. Click on the "Change Service number" (not exactly worded), and go on from there.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
I have a grandfathered 6.95 a month plan I'd like to keep.
I believe a couple said they recently were able to do it who couldn't do it before.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I believe a couple said they recently were able to do it who couldn't do it before.
It's been mentioned that the CSRs can move it to an XL4, in fact I had a CSR mention to me when I cancelled my 2x S2 units that he could move the $6.95 to an XL4 should I wish, but all my higher units already have lifetime on them.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
berkshires

I just bought a Premiere XL and am going to try to change the TSN from on old S2 or TiVoHD unit (Both have active service @6.95, but no longer function.) Is that normally rejected?

Ideally, I would like to get the Season passes from the TiVoHD onto the new P XL. I read there was a way to do that with a replacement box...could someone tell me how please?
berkshires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
My 240 Series 2 power supply is gone again for the second time. Everywhere I've looked so far has them, but for 69.00 bones. The last time (2 years ago) I had to replace it the PS was only 25 bucks. Wow for inflation, huh?

At any rate, I've been looking around and it seems like I can buy an old Series 2 for less than the cost of the PS. I've even seen THDs for less. When I googled the transfer of the TSN I found this.

From everything I've seen it looks like I can do the transfer if it's only for a S1,2,3, or HD. Anyone actually done it?
Tivo 240 power supply on ebay $24.56 free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply...#ht_1215wt_925

Tivo 540 power supply on ebay $16.95 free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Supply...c#ht_500wt_942

A 540 power supply does work in a 240 model and vice versa. I've used a 540 ps in a 240 myself and others here have done the same.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
I just bought a Premiere XL and am going to try to change the TSN from on old S2 or TiVoHD unit (Both have active service @6.95, but no longer function.) Is that normally rejected?

Ideally, I would like to get the Season passes from the TiVoHD onto the new P XL. I read there was a way to do that with a replacement box...could someone tell me how please?
Log in to tivo.com MY ACCOUNT and under the menu is a season pass manager which will allow you to copy/move passes over to another.

To change Tivo Service....

You will then come to this....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pass.jpg (35.4 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg TivoMA.jpg (37.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg change.jpg (18.0 KB, 197 views)

~~~~~

Last edited by ThAbtO : 07-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post

A 540 power supply does work in a 240 model and vice versa. I've used a 540 ps in a 240 myself and others here have done the same.
Thanks for the links. I've actually seen Dual Tuner S2's for the same price or close and might go that route. I've also seen THD's used for 49.00. Based on the link in the original post I should be able to transfer my MSD to an HD TiVo as well.

For weakknees and dvrupgrade to want 70.00 for a PS is highway robbery.
180hr S2

Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

I believe you'll need to call, you can't move the $6.95 to a Premiere via the online tool.

I know you can do online SP management with S3 and above, I didn't think you could manage the S2 SPs online.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I know you can do online SP management with S3 and above, I didn't think you could manage the S2 SPs online.
I have successfully copied a few passes over from the T-HD to the S2 without any problems.

~~~~~

Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Log in to tivo.com MY ACCOUNT and under the menu is a season pass manager which will allow you to copy/move passes over to another.
To do this though, both Tivos need to be subscribed.
If you transfer the TSN to a different tivo, I don't know if the season passes also get transferred. They didn't use to, but now with the online sp management, it would seem that they should also transfer, but I have no idea. I've never seen the issue come up here before.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
berkshires

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
From what I've come up with, a new box can have season passes (only) transferred to it using the web SP Manager, just as you said - the 'old' SP source boxes must still be subscribed, so the new box either needs a new subscription or to take over an old one from a box you don't need to transfer SPs from.

A new box cannot get the settings SPs,etc from an old box just by changing TSNs on the subscription.

However, an existing box with a replaced hard drive can/could get its settings repopulated, if certain opt ins are set (described by TiVoPony circa 2006.)

I won't have evidence re: S2 SPs since mine haven't connected in forever and SP Manager has no SP data on those subscriptions. I'll only transfer SPs form a TiVoHD to a P XL.

My conclusion is I'm going to try to put the new P XL onto an old S2 sub, and therefore be able to transfer SPs from the old TiVoHD.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post

did you do some kind of clever search? I'm trying to find a Series 3 (OLED) power supply. Tried a few obvious searches and didn't find one. (power supply tivo series 3 found one, but specifically not for the OLED one.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #17
unitron

Quote:

Check Craigslist for someone selling the same model cheap and transplant the power supply.

Or learn how to solder and unsolder surface mount devices and transfer the crypto chip to the new motherboard, which will move the TSN. I've actually done this and I actually recommend avoiding it like the plague if at all possible.

It's possible that the first time your power supply went bad it was because of "capacitor plague" and that the replacement was new or lightly used and had the same bogus/counterfeit capacitors which have now also gone bad.

Which means you can fix it for about $10 worth of parts.

Did you have to trade in the original supply or do you still have it lying around somewhere?

Also, I just had to fix a 240 supply where one of the pins in the AC input broke loose from the circuit board, even though it still looked fine, so that's another possibility.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #18
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Check Craigslist for someone selling the same model cheap and transplant the power supply.

Or learn how to solder and unsolder surface mount devices and transfer the crypto chip to the new motherboard, which will move the TSN. I've actually done this and I actually recommend avoiding it like the plague if at all possible.

It's possible that the first time your power supply went bad it was because of "capacitor plague" and that the replacement was new or lightly used and had the same bogus/counterfeit capacitors which have now also gone bad.

Which means you can fix it for about $10 worth of parts.

Did you have to trade in the original supply or do you still have it lying around somewhere?

Also, I just had to fix a 240 supply where one of the pins in the AC input broke loose from the circuit board, even though it still looked fine, so that's another possibility.
Thanks for the tips, but I just bought an S2DT for 12 bucks on eBay. It's unsubbed and I'll just transfer my 180GB drive to it when it comes in. Of course I'll have to hit the drive with instant cake first, or clone the drive from my other S2DT.

The eBay listing said the TiVo was operable, so if that's the case I should be all set.
180hr S2

Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
berkshires

Quote:
My conclusion is I'm going to try to put the new P XL onto an old S2 sub, and therefore be able to transfer SPs from the old TiVoHD.
FYI: I did transfer the SPs via the web based SP Manager. This worked despite the fact that the source TiVoHD is broken and had not connected to TiVo in several weeks - much more than a month.

TiVo was kind to me and allowed me to subscribe the new PXL (purchased retail) onto an old $6.95 service. I had to call and be transferred to an 'advanced' support person. He reviewed my acct presumably with others for several minutes while I was on hold. I do have a long and strong customer relationship with TiVo, so please understand I am not saying how likely it would be done for others.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, but I just bought an S2DT for 12 bucks on eBay. It's unsubbed and I'll just transfer my 180GB drive to it when it comes in. Of course I'll have to hit the drive with instant cake first, or clone the drive from my other S2DT.

The eBay listing said the TiVo was operable, so if that's the case I should be all set.
Are you hoping to transfer the $6.95 per month rate to the new S2 DT and retire the 240?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you hoping to transfer the $6.95 per month rate to the new S2 DT and retire the 240?
That's precisely what I'm going to do. I've imaged a 40GB drive for the 240, but it's little good it'll do without the power supply. So, likely the old 240 will go into the closet or landfill once I make the switch.
180hr S2

Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

I got the new to me S2DT last week before heading out on vacation. It had a dent in the front housing that the ebay listing had cropped out. The housing in general looked a little beat up as well. Bad on them for that, but it's functioning for now. Not bad for 12 bucks and I have the old 80GB drive as a backup.

I popped in a 120GB drive preloaded with Instant Cake and after a C&D and a few forced connections I was good to go. It's been a while since I did a C&D and the TiVo seemed to be a little sluggish afterwards. After a few days to let all the indexing happen it still seems to be slightly slow compared to our other S2DT. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks before looking into alternatives, or see if anyone complains.

This one is also co-located to my router and being able to plug directly in with cat5 is nice compared to the 240 I had before. Transfers from the pyTiVo server are fast and slick over ethernet. I now have an extra TiVo wireless adapter to use as a backup. Maybe I'll sell it or something, I don't know. It did come in handy last week when I took a tivo on the road.
180hr S2