TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
scole250

Premiere Q

Given the issues with the XL4, what are the opinions about what to expect with the 6 tuner Premiere Q? I'd love to have a 6 tuner and would gladly pay for it but cringe at the risk of issues that XL4 owners have gone through.

BTW, this is not a Tivo bash. I used Tivos for a long time and love them. I only paused because of MRV dead on TWC. Streaming cured that so I'm on the edge of investing in new Tivos again. Just researching very well before dropping a couple grand on new Tivos.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
awsnyde

I've had an XL4 since it first came out, and have had no problems with it. I expect that on a forum like this, you'll hear about a much larger percentage of problems than the actual percentage that occurs, and that will be true for any product.

That said, it does seem like there were some issues with some cable companies' cable cards. With Verizon FIOS, I haven't had an issue.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
MeInDallas

I havent heard of a 6 tuner Premiere Q. Where are you seeing that information at? Are you talking about the Ceton Q that has 6 tuners?
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

The only announced Tivo 6-tuner box is developed by Pace, using a new hardware platform completely different from the Premiere. Tivo is just supplying the software for them. Pace is a supplier for cable partners.

It's hard to know what to expect since the hardware is completely new, plus it might be a moot point if the box is available only to certain cable company partners.

I believe there is a good chance Tivo will have a 6-tuner box of their own someday... My total out-of-my-rear guess is Fall 2013. But what's inside the box and any expectations for it are unknowable. If it's based on the current Series 4 generation, we can probably make some guesses. If it's an all-new "Series 5" platform, then it's up in the air.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-23-2012 at 09:47 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #5
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I havent heard of a 6 tuner Premiere Q. Where are you seeing that information at? Are you talking about the Ceton Q that has 6 tuners?
Went back to find the reference to the 6 tuner model but can't find it. Can't remember if it was from a Tivo PR or thread in this forum. Might have just been speculation by forum poster. Also didn't realize the Q was just the Pace unit to be offered by cable operators.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

Oh I see the confusion. The Premiere Q is a 4-tuner Tivo made by Tivo. It's literally the same thing as the Elite/XL4. It been available for almost a year. So you can read any Elite or XL4 thread for the dirty details on the pros and cons of the box.

There's just no 6 tuner model that we know of yet, but a number of us are expecting to see one someday.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
drawz

You might be confusing the TiVo Premiere Q with the Ceton Q.

The quad-tuner TiVo Premiere Q seemingly turned into Premiere XL4/Elite.

The Ceton Q is a 6 tuner CableCard system based on Windows Media Center running Windows 7 Embedded. It was originally slated for release later this year, but it looks like it might be more like 2013. Ceton makes the InifiniTV CableCard tuner for Home Theater PCs.

h t t p://cetoncorp.com/products/ceton_q/
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
SullyND
L: 14-49

The Premiere Q is the non-retail version of the XL4/Elite. It is available only from MSOs.
TiVo showed a 6 tuner model built by Pace for MSOs. There has been no mention of bringing it to retail (as it will be built by Pace rather than TiVo it seems unlikely this model will be available retail).
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote