mfslive Unix utility or mfstools 2.0
Silicon Dust CD if you have a cachecard or nic card
PTVUpgrade 4.04 CD or Todd Miller's 3.5 kernel and tpip utility if you have a large drive
Jenkins CD just in case
1. Find a computer with IDE ( I no longer had one). Acquired a Dell GX270 from Goodwill with a 40GB NTFS drive and Windows XP Pro, keyboard, mouse, CD ROM, unformated 40GB drive, flat screen monitor all for $89.95.
2. Formated the spare drive with a small FAT32 partition with the rest being NTFS.
3. Backed up my current 3.5c with mfslive 1.1 beta d.
4. Put the drive back in the TiVo.
5. Change root to rw.
6. Edit installSw.itcl to change the reboot to an exit on or about row 156.
7. Change root to ro.
8. cd /tvbin
Got multiple errors about $tcl_library not being defined.
After multiple search attempts found an archived post from someone trying to modify fonts with a script
and getting the same error as mine. Embeem had suggested making sure the script was running via tivosh.
Even though my installSw.itcl's first line is #! /bash/tivosh I tried:
tivosh installSw.itcl 3.5d-01-1-001
Watch install proceed smoothly with no apparent errors.
10. Checked TiVo for functionality and was amused to see System Information showing 3.5d already.
11. Removed drive and reinstalled in PC as hdb.
12. Booted up Silicon Dust cd.
13. Booted up PTVUpgrade 4.04 CD
mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
copykern specifying hdb and 3.1+ kernel
This installed smoothly.
14. Booted up Jenkins CD just in case.
Found /var intact
Copied rc.net from hdb4 to hdb7 (fixed IP)
Copied rc.sysinit.author from hdb4 to hdb7. (startup tivowebplus, endpadplus, telnet, ftp)
Copied .profile from hdb4 to hdb7.
Copied .bash_logout from hdb4 to hdb7.
Copied hackbackup.tar from hdb4 to hdb7.
Copied hdb4/sbin/tar to /hdb7/sbin/tar (rc.sysinit.author checks to see if /var/hack exists; if not, it attempts a restore)
15. return drive to TiVo & boot. Everything comes up fine. DTV scan for satellites finished up quickly and completely.
Locals are back!
They do need to be readded to "favorite channels".
System Information shows full 482 hours recording capacity.
Play several recordings. Everything works.
16. 24 hours later
Apply kernel patches originally posted by gohrnz in the other forum:
mount -o remount,rw /
mv tivoapp tivoapp.tmp
cp tivoapp.tmp tivoapp
chmod 755 tivoapp
echo -ne "\x48\x00\x00\x38" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=5120680
30 sec skip
echo -ne "\x40\x86\x00\x40" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=4641828
echo -ne "\x38\x80\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=4336744
mount -o remount,ro /
17. Pull drive and boot up PC with mfslive 1.1 beta d option 4
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
backup -6so /mnt/directivo3.5d.bak /dev/hdb
15. Return drive to Tivo.
16. use bootpage to reset upgradesoftware=false (silly I know but I had to do it) :-)
bootpage -P "root=dev/hda7 upgradesoftware=false"
End Result: I can now put off the decision about whether to get a THR22 or dump DirecTV and get a Premiere XL4.