TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Yorkshireexile

Pixelation - bad blocks

On my series 3 with some recordings I get pixelation enough to make it unwatchable. I suspect bad blocks. Should TiVo deal with these automatically? Is there any way to force an fsck?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
MeInDallas

Restart the Tivo and when you see the yellow pause light come on, quickly hit pause then 54 and go into the S.M.A.R.T. test screen. Run the full test and see if it passes.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Yorkshireexile

Thanks - just what I was looking for. Will try that tonight.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
bshrock

Could be noisy or low signal strength. Are the recordings from the same channels?
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Restart the Tivo and when you see the yellow pause light come on, quickly hit pause then 54 and go into the S.M.A.R.T. test screen. Run the full test and see if it passes.
I think these instructions are a little too abbreviated. Also the instructions differ depending on which series 3 model you have.. See detailed instructions here:
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Yorkshireexile

Passed the S.M.A.R.T tests

The S.M.A.R.T tests all ran successfully. I can try the overnight test tonight - is any description on what these all tests do available?

We have seen the problem on two differences channels, HBO and CBS. This is on a cable system. It is quite possible that there were delivery issues on those occasions. One time the whole program was completely unwatchable on the other it was just extremely annoying.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshireexile View Post
The S.M.A.R.T tests all ran successfully. I can try the overnight test tonight - is any description on what these all tests do available?

We have seen the problem on two differences channels, HBO and CBS. This is on a cable system. It is quite possible that there were delivery issues on those occasions. One time the whole program was completely unwatchable on the other it was just extremely annoying.
It could easily be that the problem was in the signal before it got to your TiVo.

Even if you're on analog cable, the signal has been digitized somewhere in route.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Yorkshireexile

The overnight test also passed, so a bad input is looking like the most probable reason.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Assuming you're using CableCARD(s), tune to one or two channels that have the most pixelation and go to DVR Diagnostics.
What are Signal Strength (should be 80-100), SNR (should be at least 34 dB) and RS errors (corrected and uncorrected) for a bad channel? And are the RS error counts increasing rapidly? Both RS counts should be small or zero and should not be increasing

Signal problems due to weak signal are much more likely than signal problems due to encoding errors that were mentioned in a previous post. And you can do something about the first cause, while probably nothing about encoding errors (other than complain to the signal source).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
bshrock

GIGO... Check the inputs.
Checking signal lock and signal strength
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
jrtroo
User

While the kickstarts are good tests to run, it does not completely eliminate a bad bit on the drive as an issue. I would leave that on the table for testing with the WD drive tools if your other research does not find an issue.

Another item could be your PS. I suspect that is the problem- older S3s sometimes have bulging caps. Search on it.