TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Totalled
TiVo Noob

TiVo Series 2 + DirecTV

Recently I dug up my TiVo Series 2 (not the Dual Tuner model, its the one that's silver with a somewhat cream-colored front) with a Lifetime subscription.
I had been using Comcast before I switched. It was working fine, I could change the channel using the TiVo etc.

Since I dug it up I have switched to the DirecTV using the DirecTV HD box.

(To see what I'm talking about, enter "43946.gif" into google and should see the receiver)

I did a re-setup so that I could tell it the correct information. There's one minor problem. The Directv HD reciever doesn't have an IR port or a Serial port for me to hook up the additional IR sensors. I also don't happen to own either pair of the sensors anymore.

Is there anyway to make my TiVo change the channel? I currently have the TiVo plugged into the S-Video port of my TV and the input from my cable box is through composite.

EDIT: Any reason why my Wireless TiVo adapter could cook an egg? Its getting really hot.

Last edited by Totalled : 07-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Totalled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Which model DirecTV receiver do you have? All of them have an IR sensor, to my knowledge. You can buy IR emitters from many places, including smarthome.com.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Totalled
TiVo Noob

I own the H24-100.

Maybe I should say this, I am unsure how to set up the Peanut remote to work with the cable box.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You use the peanut to control the TiVo. The TiVo, in turn, controls the DirecTV box. This box does have an IR sensor. I suggest a stick-on IR emitter plugged into the IR OUT port on the TiVo and stuck over the IR sensor on the H24. This one will work. Once it is connected, go through Guided Setup to tell the TiVo you have a DirecTV receiver and configure the channel changing.

I assume that by "cable box" you really mean the DirecTV satellite receiver.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Totalled
TiVo Noob

Okay, I will be buying the IR Emitter from Amazon.

Where would I be putting the emitter on the satellite box? Will it be stuck on the front? Will I still be able to use the DirecTV remote?

EDIT: Any chance I could rename the TiVo? At the moment it has my Aunt's name on it because she was living with me. I would like it to say my name so that I don't get confused when the only TiVo is named "Betsy's TiVo" in TiVoToGo.

EDIT2: Why does it keep connecting to my wireless network all the time? It's already updated the channel listings 3 times today and it keeps interrupting my TV watching.

EDIT3: I keep getting Error S03.

Last edited by Totalled : 07-20-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The emitter will go on the front - I don't know exactly where. One tip is to shine a flashlight at various places in the front panel - look for a hole to be visible behind the smoked plastic. You COULD use the DirecTV remote but shouldn't, as the TiVo will get confused.

As for renaming the TiVo - I've never had a model that supported TiVoToGo so I don't know where that is done. Perhaps someone else will.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Totalled
TiVo Noob

Due to my S03 problem I have decided to do the PAUSE+5,7 method. I found it from reading the TiVo Forums.

I will have to use the DirecTV remote because there are people in the house who will freak out with a new interface.

If the PAUSE,5,7 doesn't work what are my other options to fix my DVR's problem?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't know what error 503 is. The kickstart 57 will probably not help you, whatever it is. You may have a failing disk.

As for using the DirecTV remote - sorry, you will need to hide it. If you let someone change the channel on the H24 independently, the TiVo will not know what channel it is on and you may fail to record shows.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Totalled
TiVo Noob

I'm pretty sure that my hard disk is failing. It keeps stopping at the same part every time.

Just from looking on the outside of the system is there anyway to tell if it has an IDE or PATA drive?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalled View Post
EDIT: Any chance I could rename the TiVo? At the moment it has my Aunt's name on it because she was living with me. I would like it to say my name so that I don't get confused when the only TiVo is named "Betsy's TiVo" in TiVoToGo.
You change a TiVo's name at tivo.com Log into your tivo.com account and go to "My account" and select "DVR preferences".

Quote:
EDIT2: Why does it keep connecting to my wireless network all the time? It's already updated the channel listings 3 times today and it keeps interrupting my TV watching.
How does it interrupt your TV watching?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that my hard disk is failing. It keeps stopping at the same part every time.

Just from looking on the outside of the system is there anyway to tell if it has an IDE or PATA drive?
It's built for a IDE/PATA drive, but you should be able to use a SATA drive and an adapter as the replacement.

Did you ever run the kickstart 57? You could also try kickstart 54 and see if it reports any errors.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I don't know what error 503 is. The kickstart 57 will probably not help you, whatever it is. You may have a failing disk.
According to this thread, a kickstart 57 might indeed help.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
Totalled
TiVo Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
According to this thread, a kickstart 57 might indeed help.
I tried, it didn't work. Ill try kickstart 54 next.

It interrupts my TV watching just because it pops up in front of my show and in turn slows everything down.

EDIT:

EDIT2:

We can rule out the hard drive failure because every test Ive ran on it says that its fine.

Last edited by Totalled : 07-22-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
Totalled
TiVo Noob

Am I screwed? Do I really have to replace the hard drive?

Is there anyway I can get this hard drive working without taking it apart?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #15
Totalled
TiVo Noob

Somehow I fixed it...
Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Recently I dug up my TiVo Series 2 (not the Dual Tuner model, its the one that's silver with a somewhat cream-colored front) with a Lifetime subscription.
I had been using Comcast before I switched. It was working fine, I could change the channel using the TiVo etc.

Since I dug it up I have switched to the DirecTV using the DirecTV HD box.

(To see what I'm talking about, enter "43946.gif" into google and should see the receiver)

I did a re-setup so that I could tell it the correct information. There's one minor problem. The Directv HD reciever doesn't have an IR port or a Serial port for me to hook up the additional IR sensors. I also don't happen to own either pair of the sensors anymore.

Is there anyway to make my TiVo change the channel? I currently have the TiVo plugged into the S-Video port of my TV and the input from my cable box is through composite.

EDIT: Any reason why my Wireless TiVo adapter could cook an egg? Its getting really hot.

Sounds like the model TiVo you have is the TCD540xxx, where the xxx depends on the size of hard drive/number of hours.

Here's a picture

http://www.tivopedia.com/model-tivo-tcd540040.php

It's also known as the nightlight TiVo.

The wireless adapters get warm, even out in free air, sitting on something metal like a disconnected computer cd drive.

What's yours been sitting on and how much air circulation is around it?

Is it sitting in direct sunlight?

When you say you don't own either pair of the sensors anymore, do you mean the IR cable and serial cable that came with the TiVo when it was new?

Both of which had plugs at one end that looked like headphones should be at the other end?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote