TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
IRJ

Adding channels

I have a TIVO HD and use Verizon FIOS.
I have just added a package of channels and rather than add manually (I may well miss some channels) I want to automaticlly have the TIVO do it. Seems the only way is to do a full Setup AGAIN!
Question: If I go this way will I lose or be able to retain all my existing recordings and legacy lists of programs I already record?
Thanks.
IRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
wtkflhn

I believe that if you do NOT do a "clear and delete everything", you will not lose any season passes or or existing recordings. Just run "guided setup" and you should be good to go.

Don H
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRJ View Post
I have a TIVO HD and use Verizon FIOS.
I have just added a package of channels and rather than add manually (I may well miss some channels) I want to automaticlly have the TIVO do it. Seems the only way is to do a full Setup AGAIN!
Question: If I go this way will I lose or be able to retain all my existing recordings and legacy lists of programs I already record?
Thanks.
There might be a back door way to avoid all of a Guided Setup.

Try Settings, Channels, Channel list, and see if there isn't a thing at the bottom about press enter if it's the wrong list.

If all your channels aren't there, then technically, it's the wrong list.

I've never done it that way (TWC doesn't add analog channels, it takes them away without lowering the bill), so you can be our brave pioneer.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
IRJ

Well that was scary!
I had clicked on the install button and it took me to a preparatory page. I tried everything to get out of it but there was no way to go back! I even powered down and rebooted and got the same page. Thus I was pused into the full install.
The good news is that it retained ALL my recorded programs and all the 'to do" listings. But the laugh was it forced me to manually enter each and every 'premium" channel I am subscribed to so I ended up making most of the choices anyway. LOL.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
mattack

You didn't/don't have to do a full guided setup. There is a way to have it just redo the part about which lineup you have. I forget how to do it though, there is a special keypress, like 'enter' when you're in the channel lineup page.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You didn't/don't have to do a full guided setup. There is a way to have it just redo the part about which lineup you have. I forget how to do it though, there is a special keypress, like 'enter' when you're in the channel lineup page.
And if you do that, you get a warning that you are about to repeat guided setup.

At the bottom of the screen is: "Press THUMBS DOWN three times. then ENTER to proceed (or press LEFT to go back"

This is used when you need to change the entire channel lineup.

As the OP discovered, he probably already had all of the additional channels in his lineup and just needed to select them, which he had to do anyway.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
IRJ

Yep all is well now. I was quite nervous that I was going out on a limb and going to destroy a load f stuff. So had a nice glass of red wine afterwards to celebrate Thanks everyone.