TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
dwit

No Letterman Top Ten?

I record Letterman every night just for the top ten. I do realize, occasionally there is no Top Ten segment.

But this past Monday(?) after his 15 -20 minute stand up and intro, he said "we'll be right back with the Top Ten and Morgan Freeman"(or something to that effect). But I never saw a Top Ten.

Did I miss something. Has he ever done this? If he has, is there an "official excuse" for not having it(after announcing it)?

Just wondering? Thanks.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
rrrobinsonjr

They sometimes cut it for time.
rrrobinsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
rrrobinsonjr

A weirder thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The show returned from the first commercial break and Letterman was already in the middle of interviewing the first guest (Channing Tatum I think). The local affiliate must have somehow "fast-forwarded" their feed. Craig Ferguson actually started 15 minutes early. I've never seen anything like it in my life. It seems really incompetent....someone should have been fired for it.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrobinsonjr View Post
They sometimes cut it for time.
Logical. Thanks.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
BradJW

Quote:
A weirder thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The show returned from the first commercial break and Letterman was already in the middle of interviewing the first guest (Channing Tatum I think). The local affiliate must have somehow "fast-forwarded" their feed. Craig Ferguson actually started 15 minutes early. I've never seen anything like it in my life. It seems really incompetent....someone should have been fired for it.
Absolutely! Fired and possible jail time! I mean if someone from the local affiliate can screw up this badly, even once, we need that person off the street and in lockup somewhere!

Heads should've rolled!!!
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
Absolutely! Fired and possible jail time! I mean if someone from the local affiliate can screw up this badly, even once, we need that person off the street and in lockup somewhere!

Heads should've rolled!!!
Seems appropriate.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You work in a television master control where one man (or woman) does everything, and we'll watch you when you get fired for making a single mistake.

Geeze, give them a break. I can tell you've never had to work like that.

Now, if it happened all the time, that's a different story.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Less Channing Tatum and earlier Ferguson? Where is the bad in this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Unless they are on a time delay it would be hard to FF Letterman as it is passed on directly from CBS so it would have not been a single affiliate thing.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
Unless they are on a time delay it would be hard to FF Letterman as it is passed on directly from CBS so it would have not been a single affiliate thing.
The non-East Coast stations don't record the satellite feed and play it back later anymore??
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

That Late Night show with Morgan Freeman and Gallager was a total train wreck anyway.

Dave: "What was it when you woke up in the hospital?"
Gallager: "I DON'T KNOW!"
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The non-East Coast stations don't record the satellite feed and play it back later anymore??
Eh maybe, but who cares about those people

Old 07-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Back when I was involved with live closed captioning in 1997-99, the networks had three separate feeds for their prime-time and late-night programming: Eastern/Central, Mountain (one hour later), and Pacific (three hours later). As far as I know, that hasn't changed.

Daytime was more complicated, but there were enough feeds that most affiliates wouldn't have needed to record a feed for later playback unless they were deliberately airing the shows "out of pattern" (something that was particularly true of NBC affiliates, but NBC made it easy for them by providing feeds of their daytime shows beginning as early as 5:00 A.M.).
Old 07-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
ewolfr

Quote:
We need ask phox_mulder to visit this thread. I think he works at one of the network affiliates in Salt Lake City.
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
tiams

The guide data for this episode said Michael Caine. But it was Morgan Freeman. Shouldn't someone be executed for that?
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolfr View Post
We need ask phox_mulder to visit this thread. I think he works at one of the network affiliates in Salt Lake City.
As far as I know, the only affiliates that record it and play it back later are in the Mountain Time Zone, probably Alaska and Hawaii too.

There are a few in the Pacific Time Zone that utilize the East Coast feed so they can start their late news earlier than their competitors.

There really isn't a way for any in the East or Central time zones do anything with the feed.
It is fed "live to air", there isn't any way to skip over 15 minutes in the middle of the feed unless they are delaying it.

CBS gives stations 35 minutes for their local news between the end of Prime and start of Letterman.
I could see some stations doing an hour long late news, then playing Letterman/Ferguson after the news.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
TheMerk
Always Bid First

For more time zone fun, here is an explanation of the hoops the MTZ affiliates have to jump through, and the extra local ad time the networks give them for their troubles: http://www.avsforum.com/t/897344/cbs...time-explained

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
CBS gives stations 35 minutes for their local news between the end of Prime and start of Letterman.
I could see some stations doing an hour long late news, then playing Letterman/Ferguson after the news.

phox
I have never thought of this scenario, but I have always seen and remember Letterman starting at 11:35. At the same time I have always lived in 1 of 3 markets.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
For more time zone fun, here is an explanation of the hoops the MTZ affiliates have to jump through, and the extra local ad time the networks give them for their troubles: http://www.avsforum.com/t/897344/cbs...time-explained
When I worked at a CBS affiliate the worst part of my job was having to flip Martha Stewart in 4-5 hrs. Luckily that was the daytime shift which I only worked when I first started and then later in my MCO career on rare instances.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
rrrobinsonjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
It is fed "live to air", there isn't any way to skip over 15 minutes in the middle of the feed unless they are delaying it.
I am on the East Coast (DC market specifically) and it happened. I record Letterman every night and I look forward to whatever 'desk piece' he does following the first spot break and before the Top Ten. It was completely missing and the first interview was already underway when they came back from commercial....and Ferguson was on the last 15 minutes of my recording.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
I thought that post looked familiar.

I posted a reply way back in 2007.

Nothing much has changed in 5 years.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #22
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
I have never thought of this scenario, but I have always seen and remember Letterman starting at 11:35. At the same time I have always lived in 1 of 3 markets.
I can tell I'm old because I remember Letterman starting at 12:30 (later 12:35). If I were really old, I'd remember him starting at 10:00...in the morning.

Rather than an hour-long late news, what used to be somewhat common on ABC and CBS affiliates was late news until 11:30 (later 11:35), and then a half-hour syndicated show. When Letterman first moved to CBS, he was delayed to 12:05 in Tampa. (They weren't specifically picking on Letterman; they'd done the same with the "Crimetime After Primetime" shows, with Pat Sajak, with the "CBS Late Movie"...) It took the CBS affiliation changing to a different channel to get him on at 11:35.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I can tell I'm old because I remember Letterman starting at 12:30 (later 12:35). If I were really old, I'd remember him starting at 10:00...in the morning.
I *am* really old, but mostly remember that morning show from seeing it when I was on vacation at my grandparents... I think..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote