TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
smalis

Can I Ip control an unsubscribed Tivo?

I have a Tivo Series 3 that I control over IP, on my home wifi network, and it works great.

I am thinking of buying a used Tivo (HD or Series 3) for my bedroom, to use as a tuner (with a CableCard, without a Tivo subscription) for my bedroom TV - much less expensive than renting a set top box from RCN.

Does anyone know if I can connect an unsubscribed Tivo to my wifi network, and control it over IP?

Thanks.
smalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
True Colors

Never gonna happen.

Without a subscription the HD Tivo is just an oversized doorstop.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You can use an unsubscribed Tivo as a tuner only. It will be like using a dumb cable box. You will only be able to control it with the remote control. No guide data. You can only change channels using the up/down arrow key or by directly entering the channel number from the numeric keypad.

If you are going to do this, I recommend getting a Series 3/Tivo HD. At least that way, you will still have a 30 minute live TV buffer on both tuners.
The Premiere line has the live TV buffers disabled on boxes with no subscription.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 07-21-2012 at 01:27 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
shwru980r

You will get pop up screens nagging you about not having Tivo service.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't think we actually know the answer to this.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I don't think we actually know the answer to this.
Yes we do.
The key to doing anything with a tivo remotely is the MAK. An unsub'd Tivo has no MAK. No MAK means you can't do a damn thing with it remotely.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, the MAK is not required for the IP-based remote control service. (I refer here to the old, "Crestron" interface, not the new, "iPad" interface. But that's the only one that works on a Series 3 anyway.) In fact there is no authentication at all for the remote control service. It just has to be enabled in the menus.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
replaytv
Caught in a eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

The Premiere line has the live TV buffers disabled on boxes with no subscription.
If you get a Premiere with old enough software you can still have the live TV buffers and manual recording, but it is a pain to work with. The time will be off too.

If you can put up with a standard definition box and what to go the cheapest with basic features, go with a Pioneer or Toshiba DVD/DVR for about $40 on ebay that has basic Tivo for free. It only has 3 days of TV guide and no internet features other than guide download, but much better than working with unsubscribed TiVo.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalis View Post
I have a Tivo Series 3 that I control over IP, on my home wifi network, and it works great.

I am thinking of buying a used Tivo (HD or Series 3) for my bedroom, to use as a tuner (with a CableCard, without a Tivo subscription) for my bedroom TV - much less expensive than renting a set top box from RCN.

Does anyone know if I can connect an unsubscribed Tivo to my wifi network, and control it over IP?

Thanks.
How long have you had your current unit?

Lifetimed or monthly payments?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote