TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
NCRobino

Sharing TiVo among multiple TV - Device development?

Hi there, I have a TiVo Premiere and would like to share this box with multiple TVs in my house. I don't need another TiVo, just the ability to view and control the one I have from other rooms.

I recently did a survey for TiVo that included questions about such a device gauging interest. Is this type of device in development? When would it go on sale approximately? How much would they cost? I hope someone can at least confirm the development and time frame for release as I am trying to decide whether or not to buy a 3rd party device now or wait until an official accessory is announced by TiVo. Any advice would be most appreciated!
Thanks
NCRobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
dwit

Click "Home" at the top of the page. Then click the big link to the "Tivo Stream" near the top of the page there.

AFAIK, it's only conjecture as to precisely when it will be available.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 07-21-2012 at 05:20 AM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
NCRobino

Thanks, I'll check it out!
NCRobino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
buscuitboy

I have been looking into a similar device when I discovered that an official TiVo IP based set top box was in the works. From what I initially read, it would allow you to use one of your Premiere's multi-tuners for a second TV. This sounded great until I later learned that it looks like this upcoming IP set top box will only work with the newer 4 tuner TiVo Premiere (XL4/Elite). Bummer.

Therefore, I started looking into possibly using a slingbox device & configuration to maybe extend my TiVo Premiere to another TV in the house. Only disadvantage is that while using it, it will affect what is being watched on the main TiVo at the time. So,two people couldn't be watching independent programming. Not the best solution, but the 2nd TV area I was interested in is in our basement. It doesn't get a lot of use & its still an option.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
moyekj

If only the reverse engineering of MRS (TiVo to TiVo streaming) would actually get somewhere we could easily roll our own "thin" clients to stream to. I tried to no avail.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
This sounded great until I later learned that it looks like this upcoming IP set top box will only work with the newer 4 tuner TiVo Premiere (XL4/Elite). Bummer.
From what I understand, the box will work with a Premiere to stream content already recorded but you will not be able to dedicate a tuner to stream live TV.
If you have an Elite/XL4, the box will be able to "steal" a tuner to stream live TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Click "Home" at the top of the page. Then click the big link to the "Tivo Stream" near the top of the page there.

AFAIK, it's only conjecture as to precisely when it will be available.
While the article talks about both devices, it is the as yet unnamed IP set-top box that you need for multiple TV support. The TiVo Stream is for delivering content to mobile devices.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
tneison

Check out the Actiontec Mywireless TV. I couldn't be happier with it. It is hit or miss depending on the distance, construction, interference etc but in my case my other TV is as good as being hooked up to the Tivo. The remote transmission is nearly perfect as well.
tneison is offline   Reply With Quote