TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
littlefine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Smile Looking to cut costs

I am getting rid of my $189.00 comcast bundle and going with just internet.
I have a premiere w/lifetime and am hoping I can get by with just netflix and Hulu plus for tv viewing. The new provider is wireless and I will have to get a wireless adapter for my Tivo.
Here are my questions-
1) Do I really have to get the Tivo N adapter or is there a generic brand?
2) We also have a Wii(not used much) and heard you can watch netflix over it, is this true and how difficult is it?
3) Am I making this much harder than it needs to be? Is there an easier alternative out there?

I have been a comcast with Tivo gal for many years and have gotten comfortable in how it has always been. Change is scary but doable. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
littlefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
jrtroo
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,347
What do you mean the new provider is wireless? Their gear is only a wireless access point? Or are you using a cell carrier to a wifi hotspot?

1) You can just set this up as a bridge on your own - it takes wifi and puts out ethernet to its ports. The N adaptor is essentially that for only one device.

2) Easy. But, you will get a sd output only.

3) Unless you have a XL4, get an antenna so you can receive your locals and subchannels.
__________________
TiVo Owner
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefine View Post
I am getting rid of my $189.00 comcast bundle and going with just internet.
I have a premiere w/lifetime and am hoping I can get by with just netflix and Hulu plus for tv viewing. The new provider is wireless and I will have to get a wireless adapter for my Tivo.
Here are my questions-
1) Do I really have to get the Tivo N adapter or is there a generic brand?
2) We also have a Wii(not used much) and heard you can watch netflix over it, is this true and how difficult is it?
3) Am I making this much harder than it needs to be? Is there an easier alternative out there?

I have been a comcast with Tivo gal for many years and have gotten comfortable in how it has always been. Change is scary but doable. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
The only wireless Internet carriers I know about have such low caps it would not be impractical to stream Netflix or Hulu plus. You should post more details (names, prices, etc.) and maybe people can point you in a direction that will save you some money while still having access to the content you want. Do you get good OTA reception? I might make more sense to keep comcast and go with the lowest priced combo Internet/TV package they offer.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,545
1. You can only use the Tivo branded wireless G or N adapters. The N adapter must be setup on a computer prior to connecting to the Tivo's ethernet port.
2. You can get the Netflix for the Wii for free from the channel app.
__________________
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "S3HD")
Roamio, Oh Roamio!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,837
Definitely consider getting an antenna to receive local OTA. If you're within 10 to 12 miles of the transmitting antennas you probably can get excellent signals with a small cheap (~ $25) indoor antenna. TiVo will provide the guide data (for the usual subscription rates). You can check out antenna distances and directions using either of these sites:

antennaweb.org (or) tvfool.com

Like earlier posters I am very curious to know what kind of "wireless provider" you are talking about.

If you have a reasonably fast PC or laptop that can be networked to your TiVo, there are other possibilities for getting cheap content that can be discussed.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
1. You can only use the Tivo branded wireless G or N adapters. The N adapter must be setup on a computer prior to connecting to the Tivo's ethernet port.
If you set up a regular WiFi router(*) as a bridge, it will (1) let you connect other devices (e.g. game systems or multiple Tivos), and (2) likely be cheaper.

(*) one that supports it and/or can have ddwrt or tomato installed on it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
If you set up a regular WiFi router(*) as a bridge, it will (1) let you connect other devices (e.g. game systems or multiple Tivos), and (2) likely be cheaper.

(*) one that supports it and/or can have ddwrt or tomato installed on it.
Exactly and if one is willing to use vintage 150Mbps wireless N and wait for a sale you can buy one for $20 that will work just fine.

The last one I bought was a TP-Link WR743ND. It cost $21.60 shipped and works as a wireless bridge/extender out of the box.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,466
Wow, that's awesome.. routers do go bad once in a while and I hope they're that cheap if/when I need a new one. (I have gotten $20 Fry's routers that needed ddwrt installed... but if it does it out of the box, even better.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |