TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
opus472

audio problems with a/v connection

When I do an a/v connection directly to the TV, the video works fine, but the audio is muted - if I max out the TV volume, can just barely hear sound. If I move the a/v cables from the Tivo to a DVD player, audio works normally. Previously had a/v connected thru a receiver, no audio problems (would prefer not to use a receiver and speakers due to temporary space limitations)

I've contacted tech support, and they're stumped. Tried both Dolby Digital and PCM settings, no change. Tried rebooting several times, briefly got sound on one of the reboots, then lost it again.

Any ideas? Thanks!
opus472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus472 View Post
When I do an a/v connection directly to the TV, the video works fine, but the audio is muted - if I max out the TV volume, can just barely hear sound. If I move the a/v cables from the Tivo to a DVD player, audio works normally. Previously had a/v connected thru a receiver, no audio problems (would prefer not to use a receiver and speakers due to temporary space limitations)

I've contacted tech support, and they're stumped. Tried both Dolby Digital and PCM settings, no change. Tried rebooting several times, briefly got sound on one of the reboots, then lost it again.

Any ideas? Thanks!
It's not impossible that a power supply going bad is to blame.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
opus472

Thanks unitron. Everything works ok using HDMI, it's only the a/v connection that's causing problems. I just tried it thru a soundbar, same thing. I can hear it, just barely, so it's getting thru, but at almost no volume. I've tried disconnecting HDMI from both ends, no change.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Thanks unitron. Everything works ok using HDMI, it's only the a/v connection that's causing problems. I just tried it thru a soundbar, same thing. I can hear it, just barely, so it's getting thru, but at almost no volume. I've tried disconnecting HDMI from both ends, no change.
S2 and S3 TiVos are known for having power supply problems due to "capacitor plague", and these failing power supplies are known for causing strange symptoms, like one tuner works and the other one doesn't, or you get random reboots, and stuff.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
opus472

This is a Tivo HD, purchased at Costco in early 2008. What would the next step be, in determining whether it's actually a bum power supply? Does Tivo have a swap-out arrangement?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
This is a Tivo HD, purchased at Costco in early 2008. What would the next step be, in determining whether it's actually a bum power supply? Does Tivo have a swap-out arrangement?
Sorry, I never got email notice of your reply like I should have.

Go read the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague" and then use this site's search feature to look for "power supply capacitor", and especially look for the thread titled "broken" for a really good photo of how subtle the visual difference might be between good and bad caps.

You can replace any bad ones yourself for about $10 in parts.