TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
scole250

Pre-purchase questions

1. Has the software been updated to use both processors yet?

2. How many M cards and tuning adapters does the XL4 need? (TWC RDU)

3. I currently have TWC whole house DVR, but it stinks. Besides the weak features, the DVRs and other receivers frequently fail to tune a channel and the get message that it's not currently available. Last night it was happening on several channels simultaneously, both HD and SD. I had always thought this was a symptom of over extended SDV, but a reboot seemed to clear it up (the TWC hardware needs rebooting at least once a week). Is "channel not available" common with the Tivos on TWC SDV?

4. Are there new Tivo models on the near horizon?

I've used Tivo in the past and loved them, but the copy protection TWC inflicted killed the multi room feature, which is a big must have for us. I'm about ready to invest in the Premiere's, but I want to make sure there are no outstanding issues or new models worth waiting for.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
1. Has the software been updated to use both processors yet?

2. How many M cards and tuning adapters does the XL4 need? (TWC RDU)

3. I currently have TWC whole house DVR, but it stinks. Besides the weak features, the DVRs and other receivers frequently fail to tune a channel and the get message that it's not currently available. Last night it was happening on several channels simultaneously, both HD and SD. I had always thought this was a symptom of over extended SDV, but a reboot seemed to clear it up (the TWC hardware needs rebooting at least once a week). Is "channel not available" common with the Tivos on TWC SDV?

4. Are there new Tivo models on the near horizon?

I've used Tivo in the past and loved them, but the copy protection TWC inflicted killed the multi room feature, which is a big must have for us. I'm about ready to invest in the Premiere's, but I want to make sure there are no outstanding issues or new models worth waiting for.
I can answer a couple.

Yes Both CPU's have been enabled since Last Fall

You only need 1 Card and TA

There is rumors there may be a new model next year with the built in streaming box that comes out in the fall
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
scole250

What's the built in streaming box and how is that different than the streaming already supported by the Premieres?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
compnurd

Quote:
What's the built in streaming box and how is that different than the streaming already supported by the Premieres?
on the main page of this website you can see a preview of Tivo Stream. For now it will be a box that attaches to your network to allow you to stream your recorded shows to tablets, smartphones etc. on your network

There is rumor it will get built into the box next year
Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
scole250

I have TWC, who copy protects everything except local channels. Can you stream the copy protected recordings to other Tivos for viewing?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
compnurd

Quote:
I have TWC, who copy protects everything except local channels. Can you stream the copy protected recordings to other Tivos for viewing?
Stream Yes, Transfer No
Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Stream Yes, Transfer No
And only to other Series 4 units (Premiere/Elite/XL4), not Series 3 or earlier that don't support streaming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote