TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
S3-2501

Change in Program Description Format is Messing up Folder View

I record the late night network talk shows (Letterman, etc.) and tend to let them pile up when possible. Recently I noticed that when I browse the folder for each show, instead of each episode being named by the guests from that night, they all have just the name of the show. For example, all the shows in the Letterman folder are named

"Late Show With David Letterman"

rather than something like

"Brian Williams;El-P performs"

This means that in order to find out who's on each show I now have to navigate back and forth between the folder view and each individual show.

I'm pretty sure that this is caused by a change in the format Tribune is using to word the program descriptions. The descriptions for the episodes listed with the generic show name all start with

"Comedy, Talk Show(2012)"

while the episodes that show the guest names in the folder view all start with the guest names. In the example I gave earlier, the description reads

"Brian Williams;El-P performs' comedy, Talk Show (2012)..."

It seems that the names must come first for them to show in the folder view. Does anyone know if the descriptions will ever go back to the old format, and if not, who should I complain to, Tivo or Tribune?
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

Sounds like you're just getting the generic entries like happens with comedy central from time to time.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
S3-2501

They're not generic, just in the wrong order. After "Comedy, Talk Show(2012)" the descriptions go on to list the guests. It's just that if the show type comes first, then the folder view only displays the name of the show and not the guests. Sorry if I explained it poorly.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3-2501 View Post
They're not generic, just in the wrong order. After "Comedy, Talk Show(2012)" the descriptions go on to list the guests. It's just that if the show type comes first, then the folder view only displays the name of the show and not the guests. Sorry if I explained it poorly.
So basically if you open the Letterman folder in Now Playing you'd be able to tell who the guests were if your screen were twice as wide so you could see the stuff off to the right that gets cut off?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
lpwcomp

What you are actually seeing is the episode title. Assuming you are using the SDUI, to avoid having to switch back and forth between the list and selected program display, just select one of the shows in the group and use channel up/down to navigate between entries. This doesn't work in the HDUi but some of the description of the highlighted entry is displayed in the HDUI.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So basically if you open the Letterman folder in Now Playing you'd be able to tell who the guests were if your screen were twice as wide so you could see the stuff off to the right that gets cut off?
I don't believe so. Here's a picture of the folder view:

Here's a picture of the old description format that displays the guest names in folder view:

Here's a picture of the new format that displays Late Show With David Letterman in folder view:

My guess is that the change in the wording order of the description is the cause of this folder view change. Just to be clear, it's not just Letterman. It's the same with Kimmel, Fallon, etc. The same behavior can also be seen when selecting "View Upcoming episodes."

Any ideas on who to contact to fix this and how best to describe it to them?

Edit: Re: lpwcomp: This is on our Tivo HD and original S3. We don't have a premiere, so no HD menus.

Edit2: Looking through various programs, I also noticed that whenever an episode title or guest list for a show appears in the folder view or view upcoming episodes, the episode title or guest names displayed are enclosed in quotes. It's possible that the quotes are important, along with where the guests/episode title appears in the description
Attached Images
File Type: jpg folderview.jpg (33.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg oldformat.jpg (26.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg newformat.jpg (27.2 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by S3-2501 : 07-16-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: updated observaton
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #7
HerronScott

I've noticed the same thing on a few other series like Top Gear.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
I don't believe so. Here's a picture of the folder view:

Here's a picture of the old description format that displays the guest names in folder view:

Here's a picture of the new format that displays Late Show With David Letterman in folder view:

My guess is that the change in the wording order of the description is the cause of this folder view change. Just to be clear, it's not just Letterman. It's the same with Kimmel, Fallon, etc. The same behavior can also be seen when selecting "View Upcoming episodes."

Any ideas on who to contact to fix this and how best to describe it to them?
As I said, what you see in the Group view is the episode title, not the description. If there is no episode title, the series title will be displayed. On the individual program page, the episode title appears in quotes and is not really part of the description, so the problem has nothing whatever to do with a change in the order of the description. It is exactly the same as before. You just have no episode title. It's possible that either Tribune or TiVo used to generate an episode title from the description and for some reason have stopped. I suggest you go to zap2it and ask Tribune and go to the tivo.com user forums and ask them.

Quote:
Edit: Re: lpwcomp: This is on our Tivo HD and original S3. We don't have a premiere, so no HD menus.
Since you're using the SD menus, what I suggested will work. Within the individual program view, you can navigate between programs in a group using the channel up/down key. That's what doesn't work in the HDUI.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
S3-2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
As I said, what you see in the Group view is the episode title, not the description.
Thanks for the help in finding the right terminology. I also appreciate the "channel up" tip, though it's still less convenient than having the titles displayed all at once.

I've contacted Tivo and attempted to notify them of the issue and will post back with the response that I get.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
S3-2501

Zap2it.com, the web listings service for Tribune Media Services (they provide the program data for Tivo) actually says "No Episode Title" when looking at a list of upcoming episodes (see this page for their Letterman listings. Having seen this, I have contacted Tribune directly in addition to Tivo. I'll follow-up here if I hear anything back.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
Zap2it.com, the web listings service for Tribune Media Services (they provide the program data for Tivo) actually says "No Episode Title" when looking at a list of upcoming episodes (see this page for their Letterman listings. Having seen this, I have contacted Tribune directly in addition to Tivo. I'll follow-up here if I hear anything back.
Yeah, I saw that too but they also show the same thing in the historical record, even for episodes for which you did have an episode title.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
S3-2501

Well, I got the following from Tribune after answering some questions that they had:

Quote:
Thank you for the thorough information. We have asked our editorial team to look into it for resolution.
I don't know if that's just a generic response, but that's what I got. Here's hoping they actually understand the problem and will fix it...
Old 07-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
S3-2501

After several back and forth communications, I think Tivo actually understands the issue now and will attempt to get it resolved. Their latest response to me states in part:
Quote:
What it appears is that for these shows, the episode's description is correct but the title data is missing. Thank you for the specific examples!
Of course this is exactly what I said in my initial inquiry, but at least they agree with the assessment now. The email says they hope to have it resolved in 5-7 days. Between this and Tribune's response, hopefully this really will get corrected.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
S3-2501

Well, Tivo said it would be fixed in 5-7 business days. After 7 business days there's still no episode titles for the late night shows. Zap2it.com is also still missing episode titles, and the case number on the My Support page is now listed as "solved" and can no longer be updated. I'm not sure there's anything else that can reasonably be done from my end to get this resolved.