TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
JandS

XL4 m-card insertion problem

Are there any tricks to inserting the m-card into the XL4?

I don't recall any problem inserting our older XL2's m-card, but with this XL4 it seems like the new-to-us Comcast m-card just doesn't want to fit.

The slot seems to be wide enough, about 1/8in on both sides of the card. The slot has 4 little metal "tabs" or "guides" visible on the back which move when pressed.

Comcast tech support says they only have 1 kind of m-card.

I hesitate using much more force than we've already tried. Don't want to remove XL2 card to compare them, as that would probably require re-pairing.
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
JandS

Forgot to say that this is a new XL4, not a refurb.

However, upon closer examination I think we found the problem. It appears to be a manufacturing defect in that the card slot interior alignment is about 1/8 in higher on the right side than the left, so that part of the black corner "edge railing" obstructs the card from going in. Dang.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Tony Chick

I had difficulty with my XL4 also, it took a lot of manipulating to get the Motorola card to slide into the slot.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
JandS

Thx, Tony. We had considered trying to force it more but worried that the card might be jammed so tightly it would never come out again.

Tivo's support has issued an RMA. Tech support was very good, call answered quickly and whole discussion was handled exceptionally well.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
moyekj

Which brings into question QA procedures on TiVo's part. I guess QA doesn't include actually verifying the unit runs with a CableCard or even attempting to insert a card to see if it fits in the slot.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
JandS

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Which brings into question QA procedures on TiVo's part. I guess QA doesn't include actually verifying the unit runs with a CableCard or even attempting to insert a card to see if it fits in the slot.
The "J" of "JandS" observed that folks who are OTA probably wouldn't even know if their cablecard slot is misaligned.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS View Post
The "J" of "JandS" observed that folks who are OTA probably wouldn't even know if their cablecard slot is misaligned.
Except the XL4 doesn't do OTA

Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Both of my ELite CC slots are tight compared to my two tuner Premieres. But not tight enough where I would have needed to force it in.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-19-2012 at 01:29 PM.
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote