TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #511
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpster View Post
Argh, that's a bummer. It's crazy that DirecTV won't let anyone download the 3.5d software.

It looks like I'm out of luck unless someone figures this out. Not sure how many people are in the same situation I am. I hate to just lose everything, but I guess I'm out of options.
Yeah, you probably have to start from scratch unless you have access to the bash prompt and already have the 3.5d slices sitting in MFS.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #512
ronsch

I managed to get my hands on an old IDE-based PC so I decided to go for it this afternoon.

Removed the upgradesoftware=false from the bootpage but didn't get the install.

The kernel logs shows:

Could not check software installation: can't open object (errDbNotFound)

as a result of the call on finishInstall.tcl statement:

Code:
puts "Checking new software installation"
if [catch {finishSoftwareInstallation} res ] {
    puts "Could not check software installation: $res"
}
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #513
chimpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Yeah, you probably have to start from scratch unless you have access to the bash prompt and already have the 3.5d slices sitting in MFS.
Have the bash prompt, but don't have the 3.5d slices.
chimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #514
chimpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
I managed to get my hands on an old IDE-based PC so I decided to go for it this afternoon.

Removed the upgradesoftware=false from the bootpage but didn't get the install.

The kernel logs shows:

Could not check software installation: can't open object (errDbNotFound)

as a result of the call on finishInstall.tcl statement:

Code:
puts "Checking new software installation"
if [catch {finishSoftwareInstallation} res ] {
    puts "Could not check software installation: $res"
}
Anyone have any ideas?
I think that's the heart of this problem. Regardless of whether or not you have blocked software updates or not, DirecTV is no longer sending them downstream.
chimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #515
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpster View Post
Have the bash prompt, but don't have the 3.5d slices.
That stinks, looks like you need to nuke everything to get 3.5d.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #516
ronsch

That's just it. According to my MFS I do have it.

TiVo: /var/tmp#echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name Type FsId Date Time Size
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
3.5c-01-1-001 tyDb 4110482 09/06/07 23:41 708
3.5d-01-1-001 tyDb 5226744 05/15/08 06:32 684
ACTIVE tyDb 4110482 09/06/07 23:41 708
Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #517
CrashHD
I am the me.

if you have telnet access, you could try "/tvbin/installSw.itcl 3.5d-01-1-001"

If it were a Series2, that would be the command to install the update. Hacks would be lost in the process.

I do not know if it is the same for a Series1
Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #518
hawkeye1991

Hi trying to go from HDVR2 zippered 6.2 to 6.4 a

Have the slices, bought the slicer. but when I try to install I get this error messge.

MJTIVO1-bash# ./slicer 6.4a-01-2-151
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

Can some one help me with this please.

thanks,
Mani
hawkeye1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #519
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHD View Post
if you have telnet access, you could try "/tvbin/installSw.itcl 3.5d-01-1-001"

If it were a Series2, that would be the command to install the update. Hacks would be lost in the process.

I do not know if it is the same for a Series1
I'll give that a shot Saturday and post the results. I will have to halt the process on the ensuing reboot because I have a 500GB drive in there and need to add the LBA48 kernel. When I upgraded from 3.1.0c2 to 3.5b and then to 3.5c the /var partition with my hacks was intact.

Actually I just checked and I don't have another scheduled recording until late Saturday morning so I may give it a shot tomorrow evening.

Last edited by ronsch : 07-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
ronsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #520
CrashHD
I am the me.

assuming it's similar to a Series2 (if you do this, you *assume* responsibility for that assumption), you can edit installSw.itcl, changing the the "reboot" command to an "exit" command. It will then give you the opportunity to rehack your new boot partition/kernel set. I've done it a number of times, with mixed results on a Series2. I always forgot something. One time I dd'ed my kernel into /dev/hda4 instead of /dev/hda3. That dog don't hunt...

Be careful.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #521
ronsch

Quote:
assuming it's similar to a Series2 (if you do this, you *assume* responsibility for that assumption), you can edit installSw.itcl, changing the the "reboot" command to an "exit" command. It will then give you the opportunity to rehack your new boot partition/kernel set. I've done it a number of times, with mixed results on a Series2. I always forgot something. One time I dd'ed my kernel into /dev/hda4 instead of /dev/hda3. That dog don't hunt...

Be careful.
I will probably go in and edit out the reboot although I hate the Linux editors. I am accessing via a Telnet session rather than Bash and I hate having to run out to the TiVo and pull the plug.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #522
CrashHD
I am the me.

It works from a telnet session. The "exit" exits the tcl script, not the telnet window.

I hate vi. put joe or pico on your box.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #523
ronsch

Quote:
It works from a telnet session. The "exit" exits the tcl script, not the telnet window.

I hate vi. put joe or pico on your box.
I don't like Joe either.

Well, I tried but the variable tcl_library is empty so all the library references are failing. Do you know what it should be, and better yet, where is it supposed to be set?

I thought this seemed familiar so I did some searching. I actually tried to do a manual install of 3.5b five years ago when we were under the gun to get to that release for DST issues. The same thing happened then and I posted it on the other forum but nobody was interested in helping. Eventually let the automatic install run and stopped it by pulling the plug at the appropriate time.

Last edited by ronsch : 07-19-2012 at 06:11 PM.
ronsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #524
ronsch

Woo Hoo!

Finally figured it out with help from an ancient archived post! The installSw script needs to be run under tivosh to get all the definitions. I am up under 3.5d, have all my locals back without clearing anything. Only thing left to do is kernel patches. I'll post the entire upgrade in detail when I get a chance but it's time to find something for dinner.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #525
CrashHD
I am the me.

That makes sense, although if the first line in your installSw.itcl is "#!/tvbin/tivosh" it should not matter. It should have automagically run under tivosh.

It is amazing how easy it is to overlook such automatic things we take for granted.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #526
ronsch

Quote:
That makes sense, although if the first line in your installSw.itcl is "#!/tvbin/tivosh" it should not matter. It should have automagically run under tivosh.

It is amazing how easy it is to overlook such automatic things we take for granted.
It actually starts with
Code:
#! /tvbin/tivosh
################################################################
#
#   File: installSw.itcl
#
#   Description: Drive the software install process on the TCD.
and unless I'm mistaken the # comments the entire line.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #527
CrashHD
I am the me.

The shebang (#!) line tells the OS what command interpreter to use for the file. In the case of tivos, generally .tcl scripts are /tvbin/tivosh and .sh scripts are /bin/sh. (much the same way as windows file extensions)

It's the command interpreter (tivosh, sh, etc.) that typically ignores all lines after a "#"

I don't know what one calls the program that loads the script and passes it to the appropriate interpreter, but that is apparently where it went wrong in your case, since manually calling the script under tivosh seemed to solve the problem.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #528
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
The shebang (#!) line tells the OS what command interpreter to use for the file. In the case of tivos, generally .tcl scripts are /tvbin/tivosh and .sh scripts are /bin/sh. (much the same way as windows file extensions)
Yeah, the interpreter should work just fine with the shebang. When I upgraded my DSR6000 to 3.5d, I did have to qualify the path of the installSw.itcl script. Perhaps specifying the interpreter when running the script basically did the same thing if it was run from cwd?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #529
ronsch

Quote:
Yeah, the interpreter should work just fine with the shebang. When I upgraded my DSR6000 to 3.5d, I did have to qualify the path of the installSw.itcl script. Perhaps specifying the interpreter when running the script basically did the same thing if it was run from cwd?
Would the embedded space make a difference?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #530
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Would the embedded space make a difference?
Even though shell commands can be finicky, I've never known the space to make a difference. I just tried it to use csh on Solaris and Linux boxes and it worked just fine (even though csh scripting stinks ).
Old 07-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #531
NghtShd

Thought I'd post in case someone is in the same predicament I was. One of my S2's is an R10 with no locals. I use VOIP and the Tivo had never been able to make the call home successfully, so it hadn't dialed in in years. For reasons I won't bore you with I have recently started using this R10 a lot more and not having locals was becoming a nuisance. With some tinkering I got the Tivo to dial in, sync up and download the update.

If you have some kind of locked down voip ATA this may not help you much, but here's how I got it to work. First I set my dial prefix in the Tivo settings to ',#019' to limit the maximum speed the modem would try to negotiate. Then on my voip ATA I disabled all codecs except G711 and turned off all options that had anything to do with echo cancellation or echo suppression (BTW I tried other combinations of these things, but nothing worked until I did them all) and restarted the ATA. After those changes the R10 was able to dial home and connect successfully. It took a long time for it to do all its stuff, but eventually it finished up disconnected without reporting any errors.

At this point I was still on 6.3e and didn't have any indication of a pending upgrade or reboot, but I rebooted manually to see what would happen. What happened was it booted up normally then rebooted itself and began installing an update. When that was done I was on 6.4a, but still without locals. I thought it might just take a while to get guide data, but I was impatient and decided to try some things. I rebooted again, but still had no locals. I did the guided dish setup and let it reacquire guide info, but still nothing. I forced a couple more dial-ins. Nothing. Then finally I restarted with the "Clear program information & To Do List" option and, after 3 or 4 hours of the Tivo blinking its red light and telling me to wait, it booted up and my local channels were back.
NghtShd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #532
iiigoiii

Quote:
Woo Hoo!

Finally figured it out with help from an ancient archived post! The installSw script needs to be run under tivosh to get all the definitions. I am up under 3.5d, have all my locals back without clearing anything. Only thing left to do is kernel patches. I'll post the entire upgrade in detail when I get a chance but it's time to find something for dinner.
for those of us who have DSR6000s (R01 actually) - can you spell out how to get from 3.5c to 3.5d without clearing saved programs?

are you only able to do that if your system happened to have 3.5d already on it? if not, is the only option to go with instantcake or one of the other vendors...or do they even have 3.5d?

and...a stupid question...how did you get to the linux prompt on a dsr6000?
iiigoiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #533
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiigoiii View Post
for those of us who have DSR6000s (R01 actually) - can you spell out how to get from 3.5c to 3.5d without clearing saved programs?

are you only able to do that if your system happened to have 3.5d already on it? if not, is the only option to go with instantcake or one of the other vendors...or do they even have 3.5d?

and...a stupid question...how did you get to the linux prompt on a dsr6000?
I posted the upgrade here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...39#post9194739

Yes, you have to already have 3.5d on your database for this to work. If not, the only way to upgrade and not lose your recordings is to have access to the individual slices for 3.5d and a slicer tool. If you don't mind starting from scratch I have a mfslive 3.5d backup image. You need to have previously hacked your unit to get telnet access or have a serial cable to get to a bash prompt all of which is extensively documented in these forums and the other place.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #534
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiigoiii View Post

You can upgrade it saving programs and settings if you have the 3.5d software already residing in the MFS database. This is how I upgraded my DSR6000 from 3.5c to 3.5d: link. Failing that, you would need to start from scratch with a 3.5d image you acquire from a friend or via instantcake, or from a service selling a DSR6000-ready hard disk with 3.5d pre-installed.

Quote:
and...a stupid question...how did you get to the linux prompt on a dsr6000
Gaining Telnet Access to your TiVo
Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #535
tomc585

Finally 6.4a

SERIES 2, SD-DVR80
I had given up on getting 6.4 on my unit. Was getting old disconnecting and bringing it to work every day only to find no update. It's been 2 months so this morning I figured what the heck...hooked it up, forced the dial in and watched as it went through its paces, house keeping, dialing, connecting, verifying subscription status, downloading (about 5min), hanging up, preparing data. I have seen this sequence many times before but this time it said waiting for reboot which is something I only read about happening . I unplugged it and when I got home i booted it up and after it received sat info (about 5-10min which is normal for a power cycle) I had 6.4 with all my locals back except 1 which I'm sure will come back once I clear my recording passes.

I have to assume I received my update via phone line and not just a code to tell the unit to download/update via data stream from the satellite. Either way I'm back in business again.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #536
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you really got the update over the phone, it would take a lot more than five minutes.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #537
tomc585

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
If you really got the update over the phone, it would take a lot more than five minutes.
Thats what I thought but I watched it the whole time. Is it possible it came in pieces and this was the last package? Or did it truly get it from the stream when it was redoing the program guide. wait that couldn't be because i didn't reboot after i hooked back up to the dish and it was already showing 6.4a

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #538
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc585 View Post
Thats what I thought but I watched it the whole time. Is it possible it came in pieces and this was the last package? Or did it truly get it from the stream when it was redoing the program guide. wait that couldn't be because i didn't reboot after i hooked back up to the dish and it was already showing 6.4a
The software downloads via the satellite, so you may have kept interrupting the process by unplugging it and bringing it into work. Of course, even if you do have the software downloaded and loaded info MFS, you still need to initiate the actual upgrade with the phone call. You probably finally just happened to call in to the mothership when the software had finally been downloaded and was ready to install. Back in the day it used to take about an hour to download a new software version over the phone line, so the software definitely came from the satellite unless the phone call lasted a long time.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #539
tomc585

Quote:
even if you do have the software downloaded and loaded info MFS, you still need to initiate the actual upgrade with the phone call. You probably finally just happened to call in to the mothership when the software had finally been downloaded and was ready to install.
I'll buy that one. It (the 6.4 software) was just sitting and waiting all this time.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
Old 08-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #540
tomc585

I did a clear and reset 2 hrs ago but its still going. I thought it was supposed to only take an hour. I only had 6 passes.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100