Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Since it has been days and still no app, no ping, and no kttmg, I rebooted the [otherwise working] Premiere. Now incoming connections work again- everything above now works. The question is- for how long?
Answer: Apparently not even 24 hours. I can't ping again. I will start a new thread on this since I don't think it is related to the Android apps...

UPDATE: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...02#post9158402

Last edited by crxssi : 06-29-2012 at 06:27 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #32
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Since I finally have a Premiere that will keep accepting network connections for a while, I decided to try the Android tablet app again.

* Just like the phone app, you have to sit and wait through a stupid "scanning" screen and then select the Premiere, even though it may be your ONLY TiVo device, AND has a static IP address.

* I can't believe how slow it is. It is 100 times more frustrating than using the HDUI on the Premiere, itself. It took me no less than 6 minutes just to stop two recordings and delete 4!

* It can take up to 15 SECONDS when clicking a program before you can see or do anything with it.

* It takes 5 seconds from the point of deleting something until you have control again.

* Several times I clicked on Suggestions and after 60 seconds of waiting, looking at spinning circles, I gave up.

* If you scroll too far in the suggestions folder, it throws you back to the top again.

* There is apparently no way to access your recently deleted folder. (Not available in phone app either).

* Unlike the phone app, there is no way to select multiple shows for deletion.

* It doesn't even give me an option to delete one of the programs under Suggestions.

* After deleting a program in Suggestions, it throws the user back to the main "My shows" again, so you have to wait forever after clicking on suggestions AGAIN to get back where you were.

Just to make sure there is not some other problem, I then started messing with the PHONE app. Yep, that is still slow, but it is blindingly fast compared to the tablet app. Unless there is some *MAJOR* changes in the tablet app, I honestly don't see how anyone could stand to use it
Old 07-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #33
falcon26

Does anyone have the apk file for TiVo for tablet? I need it for my Asus tf 300
falcon26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #34
HerronScott

I posted this in your other thread as well.

I found it here for my Pandigital SuperNova.

dropbox.com/s/fz19rdlsrt92iei/com.tivo.android-16680.apk

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #35
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
I think I'm going to buy that new Google Nexus 7 to replace my Nook Color. I might wait a bit to see if Asus produces the MeMO 370t that the Nexus 7 is a feature-reduced version of--probably not . Perhaps by the time that I get it TiVo will have produced a 7" compatible version of this.
It works fine on my 7" Kindle Fire. The one I downloaded several months ago. I thought someone posted that it was the same app from earlier this year?

IN my use the app on the Kindle Fire is extremely quick. The remote is basically instantaneous and when you delete a title it happens in half a second.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Since I finally have a Premiere that will keep accepting network connections for a while, I decided to try the Android tablet app again.

* Just like the phone app, you have to sit and wait through a stupid "scanning" screen and then select the Premiere, even though it may be your ONLY TiVo device, AND has a static IP address.

* I can't believe how slow it is. It is 100 times more frustrating than using the HDUI on the Premiere, itself. It took me no less than 6 minutes just to stop two recordings and delete 4!

* It can take up to 15 SECONDS when clicking a program before you can see or do anything with it.

* It takes 5 seconds from the point of deleting something until you have control again.

* Several times I clicked on Suggestions and after 60 seconds of waiting, looking at spinning circles, I gave up.

* If you scroll too far in the suggestions folder, it throws you back to the top again.

* There is apparently no way to access your recently deleted folder. (Not available in phone app either).

* Unlike the phone app, there is no way to select multiple shows for deletion.

* It doesn't even give me an option to delete one of the programs under Suggestions.

* After deleting a program in Suggestions, it throws the user back to the main "My shows" again, so you have to wait forever after clicking on suggestions AGAIN to get back where you were.

Just to make sure there is not some other problem, I then started messing with the PHONE app. Yep, that is still slow, but it is blindingly fast compared to the tablet app. Unless there is some *MAJOR* changes in the tablet app, I honestly don't see how anyone could stand to use it
Is this app different than what I've been using for the last few months with my Kindle Fire?

-I have the scanning screen but it finds the TiVos in well under a minute. Once it finds them that's it. It doesn't need to scan again unless I connect from a different SSID on my network.

-Stopping a recording and deleting is super fast. Stopping it is instantaneous and deleting it takes one second or less.

-When I select a program, all the info is there in one to two seconds. And I can select "watch now" "delete" or "share"

-Clicking on the suggestions folder has everything pop up in 1 to 2 seconds

-When deleting a title it takes half a second and takes me back to the "My Shows" list

-I do get an option to delete a program in the "My Suggestions Folder". But when it is deleted it takes me back to the My Shows list with the Suggestions folder highlighted.

This is using the app on my Kindle Fire or my HTC ReZound connecting to my two Elite boxes and a Regular Premiere.

The only real issue I have is from my router. For an initial scan I need to have my DLink DGL4500 router off(or rebooting) for it to find my boxes. At my GFs house her Dlink router doesn't have this issue. But once my Dlink finds the boxes they stay there in the app. I hadn't needed to scan for my boxes for several months until a few days ago when I was messing around with my WiFI network and connected to an AP that has a different SSID than the other four APs I use., Once I did that I needed to rescan for my boxes. But after the scan, it doesn't need to look for them again until I connect to a different SSID.

Last edited by aaronwt : 07-08-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #37
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is this app different than what I've been using for the last few months with my Kindle Fire?
They have a bunch of screenshots of it here--is it? EDIT: The screens in the Google Play Store are much different, so it's not that one, which seems designed for phones. Yeah--that page on TiVo site has links to Google's store for two versions: the phone version says "(includes Kindle Fire)" and appeared in March and the tablet version appeared last month.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 07-08-2012 at 12:59 PM.
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
They have a bunch of screenshots of it here--is it? EDIT: The screens in the Google Play Store are much different, so it's not that one, which seems designed for phones. Yeah--that page on TiVo site has links to Google's store for two versions: the phone version says "(includes Kindle Fire)" and appeared in March and the tablet version appeared last month.
I think he is using the phone app. That app is *much* faster and more responsive. It is far from perfect, but very usable.

So far, I find the "tablet" version almost unusably slow and quirky
Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #39
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

The original phone version of the app runs on the SD-card-booted version of Android on my Nook Color (N2A Cards, a CyanogenMod release). The Nook Color not having the fastest processor on the block, it's a tad sluggish, particularly in load-and-update-next-screen ops, but it seems to work well controlling my new Premiere and is actually pretty well designed. I'm going to wait until August to see what the fallout is from the Google Nexus 7 announcement (and whether Asus will release the MeMO 370t, the more feature-rich version of it that they showed at CES) and buy a new 7" tablet. Hopefully they'll get the tablet version working better and certified for use on a 7" in the meanwhile. Seems doubtful, but I can hope .

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 07-08-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #40
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Yes that is the app. The screen shots seem to look like what I see on my devices. But I must be using the phone app then since I first downloaded it to my cellphone and then to my Kindle Fire.

So why is there a big difference in speed between the phone app and the tablet app? On the 7" Kindle Fire the phone app works very well with it.
Would I even need the tablet app? My cell phone has a higher resolution(1280x720) than my Kindle fire (1024x600).
Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #41
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
So why is there a big difference in speed between the phone app and the tablet app?
That is a very good question. Probably because they are trying to do too much at once or something. Looks to me to be very similar performance problems as on the Premiere, itself. No matter what you try to do, it ends up contacting TiVo's servers again and again, to display a bunch of crap. It is certainly NOT because the device itself is too slow, at least not in my case (Xoom). On the phone app, they don't tell you anything "Internet" about the show unless you actually SELECT a show and want more info.

Quote:
On the 7" Kindle Fire the phone app works very well with it.
Would I even need the tablet app? My cell phone has a higher resolution(1280x720) than my Kindle fire (1024x600).
Only you can answer that. I find the tablet version unusably slow.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #42
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Yes that is the app. The screen shots seem to look like what I see on my devices. But I must be using the phone app then since I first downloaded it to my cellphone and then to my Kindle Fire.

So why is there a big difference in speed between the phone app and the tablet app? On the 7" Kindle Fire the phone app works very well with it.
You can see screenshots of the tablet app here at the Google Play store. It's quite a bit different. Whether the differences seem worth the struggle to side-load it and get it to work on your Fire is up to you.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
You can see screenshots of the tablet app here at the Google Play store. It's quite a bit different. Whether the differences seem worth the struggle to side-load it and get it to work on your Fire is up to you.
I see the stuff on the bottom of the screen now that looks different. Otherwise it seems to look very similar. But since there are supposedly issues with this app and 7 inch tablets I can't use it anyway since I have a Kindle Fire.(or is it the screen resolution that is the issue)
Old 07-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #44
JACKASTOR

tivo tablet apk

Was wondering if anyone could post the apk for the tivo tablet app? Cannot becuase I live in Canada. Thanks Google for being stupid.... lol

thanks in advance for any help.

Jack
JACKASTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #45
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKASTOR View Post
Was wondering if anyone could post the apk for the tivo tablet app? Cannot becuase I live in Canada. Thanks Google for being stupid.... lol

thanks in advance for any help.

Jack
People in Canada cannot load things from the Google Play Store? That seems strange.

Whatever. Why not just search the web for "tivo android app apk" and make sure it's v1.6.68 or higher.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #46
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
People in Canada cannot load things from the Google Play Store? That seems strange.
Play Store allows the app submitter to restrict by Android version, resolution, CPU, geographic region, etc, etc. Unfortunately, apps are often unnecessarily restricted.

Quote:
Whatever. Why not just search the web for "tivo android app apk" and make sure it's v1.6.68 or higher.
Because it could contain malware. Just grabbing from an untrusted source is a bit risky.

I would send the APK, but none of my tablets are rooted (which is required in order to rip out the APK).
Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #47
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

And random people on this forum should be considered more trustworthy ? I use antivirus software on my Android devices.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #48
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
And random people on this forum should be considered more trustworthy ?
Random, maybe not. But people that have been here for years and have hundreds or thousands of posts? Certainly.

Quote:
I use antivirus software on my Android devices.
All kinds of malware can be inserted into just about any app that will not necessarily be detected by "antivirus" software.... A virus is just one type of malware... and a not so popular one anymore, anyway.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #49
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
All kinds of malware can be inserted into just about any app that will not necessarily be detected by "antivirus" software.... A virus is just one type of malware... and a not so popular one anymore, anyway.
"Antivirus" is just a label, and not one actually used by most of the products, which call themselves "mobile security" apps. The apps detect all manner of malware. I use Lookout Mobile Security, which was well reviewed by Cnet, etc (the mobile app from my PC security software company didn't score as well).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #50
JACKASTOR

Quote:

Did that and thanks for the suggestion, found it and it works...

regards

Jack
JACKASTOR is offline   Reply With Quote