TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Cynthia Blue

Considering TiVo - Some Questions

I've been reading about TiVo but I'm not really sure about how it all works... I've read some forum posts which does help some, but though I'd start my own thread.

I've had Dish and DirecTV, currently we have DirecTV and of course with the Viacom thing we're missing out on channels. And our discount period is over and we're paying over $100 a month now and it just seems like a lot. I have my favorite shows, of course, most of them are on TNT, some SyFy, lots on USA, and some on regular tv.

So I'm looking at TiVo and forgive me for being dim but I'm not really sure how it all works.

Can a TiVo work with any cable/satellite company? Does it replace the DVR box that comes with them?

Can you get more than one TiVo box per house... or do you need more than one? My husband and I like different shows. We both have HDTVs we prefer. It's only the 2 TVs in the house.

Can a TiVo work with just OTA channels.. in addition to or instead of cable/satellite?

I'm in Utah so our options are basically Dish, DirecTV, or Comcast... I think. If there's more let me know.

We are spoiled with having DVR so I guess I want some type of DVR that works like the satellite DVRs but are more flexible, and don't cost so much.

Thanks!
Cynthia
Cynthia Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
celtic pride

directv has tivos if you decide to stay with them,you cannot use tivo with dish but you can with comcast.if you want a tivo that can get over the air signals get a tivo premiere or tivo premiere xl which can get both cable channels or OTA.Theres also a new tivo XL4 which has 4 tuners so you can record up to 4 cable channels at a time!,But cannot get OTA with antenna. check out tivo.com for prices.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

The DirectTV TiVo can receive ONLY DirectTV service and is sold (rented?) only by DirectTV. There is a sub-forum here devoted to that I believe.

Other TiVo's are sold by TiVo and a few Cable Cos. They do not receive ANY satellite services. Some models can receive cable and/or OTA signals as the previous poster said.

Right now you need one TiVo per TV, although a newly announced TiVo product may change that in the future.

With TiVo, to receive digital cable signals, you may need a separate box called a Tuning Adapter (one per TiVo box). The TA can prove to be a major pain or no problem at all, just depending on your cable provider, and luck. See this:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...29#post9177429

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Cynthia Blue

Cool thanks. I'm looking into the Roku as an option as well, or maybe Apple TV... I'm really open to ideas. I don't mind streaming, using Hulu or Netflix or Amazon either. I'm looking for the best value and ease of use.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Cynthia Blue

Maybe I don't even need a Tivo at all.. maybe I can get all the shows I want by getting a Roku. I don't really care if I watch shows right away, I can wait a week or so. Though I'm not sure if they have every show I want... but I can probably live without some.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Maybe you don't need a TiVo. You might be interested in this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=484738

and
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Cynthia Blue

Thanks I'm reading through that.

So I'm still not quite understanding... can a TiVo pull up the programming information OTA off an antennae for recording, like a cable DVR... just on it's own? Or does it need a Cable Card? Or does it depend on the model?
Thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Blue View Post
Thanks I'm reading through that.

So I'm still not quite understanding... can a TiVo pull up the programming information OTA off an antennae for recording, like a cable DVR... just on it's own? Or does it need a Cable Card? Or does it depend on the model?
Thanks
Except for the TiVo Premiere Elite/XL4, all TiVo 3 or 4 (TiVo Series 3 HD, Tivo HD, Tivo HD XL, TiVo Premiere, & TiVo Premiere XL) have the ability to record both Over the Air and cable. You do not need a CableCARD for OTA. As the name would imply, a CableCARD is only needed if you are going to connect it to digital cable.

If your talking about the program information, all TiVos (except DirecTV Tivos) get that data via the internet (or a phone line).

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
rob_gendreau

Essentially you get a couple of things with a TiVo: it has a great interface, much better than what you used on Directv, and it has program schedules. It also now has some add-ons in the newer versions, like Hulu+.

But it is limited in the sense that it doesn't redistribute content, like Dish or Directv or Comcast or over-the-air. It just provides a better interface and scheduling for those folks. So if you don't like what those guys provide, Tivo won't help much. And the cost of a Tivo subscription might not be worth it simply to get OTA scheduling; you might be able to do that with a dongle, antenna and some computer software instead (eg EyeTV on Macs).

One other little caveat. Since you're on Directv you may have noticed when Comedy Central went off so did some (all?) of those shows on the internet. That's cuz the cable/sat people want the content people (eg Viacom) to knock off the practice of giving away shows that they, the cable/sat people, charge for. They want the model like HBO and HBO Go use, in that if you subscribe THEN you can see it on the internet. We're gonna see more of these squabbles, and so there's not guarantee that what you can get for free over the internet will be available in the future. Makes choosing even harder, and that's why when I bailed from Directv back to Tivo/Comcast I didn't lock myself into contracts.

Rob
rob_gendreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Johncv

Quote:
I've been reading about TiVo but I'm not really sure about how it all works... I've read some forum posts which does help some, but though I'd start my own thread.

I've had Dish and DirecTV, currently we have DirecTV and of course with the Viacom thing we're missing out on channels. And our discount period is over and we're paying over $100 a month now and it just seems like a lot. I have my favorite shows, of course, most of them are on TNT, some SyFy, lots on USA, and some on regular tv.

So I'm looking at TiVo and forgive me for being dim but I'm not really sure how it all works.

Can a TiVo work with any cable/satellite company? Does it replace the DVR box that comes with them?

Can you get more than one TiVo box per house... or do you need more than one? My husband and I like different shows. We both have HDTVs we prefer. It's only the 2 TVs in the house.

Can a TiVo work with just OTA channels.. in addition to or instead of cable/satellite?

I'm in Utah so our options are basically Dish, DirecTV, or Comcast... I think. If there's more let me know.

We are spoiled with having DVR so I guess I want some type of DVR that works like the satellite DVRs but are more flexible, and don't cost so much.

Thanks!
Cynthia
Ok, Cynthia my 2-cent:

First, your not missing anything by lost of Viacom.

I would stay with DirecTV and wait until TiVo release their streaming box then we will know more about what TiVo’s plans are. Save your money for now and wait, I think TiVo planning on releasing a new TiVo box along with their streamers.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
First, your not missing anything by lost of Viacom.
Subjective.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
Cynthia Blue

I miss the Daily Show and Colbert, but I can pick them up online. I do prefer watching on TV without the hassle of hooking up my Mac to the TV but I could do that too I guess.

Thanks for all the info. Interesting about waiting for the TiVo that streams. That may be an option. I'm still reading and considering and talking to my husband. I guess paying for Satellite/Cable is also paying for the convenience, like I've also read. Maybe we'll do minimum Comcast... when I called Comcast a couple weeks ago, they really really really really REALLY wanted me to buy the triple play, and when I said I only wanted TV and Internet, the lady had to go talk to her manager. She said the price that I was seeing online was for current customers only. I hung up because I was grumpy that day.

So many options... I'd miss watching White Collar on USA, that's one of my favorite shows, and I don't really see it online or streaming.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
Johncv

Quote:
I miss the Daily Show and Colbert, but I can pick them up online. I do prefer watching on TV without the hassle of hooking up my Mac to the TV but I could do that too I guess.

Thanks for all the info. Interesting about waiting for the TiVo that streams. That may be an option. I'm still reading and considering and talking to my husband. I guess paying for Satellite/Cable is also paying for the convenience, like I've also read. Maybe we'll do minimum Comcast... when I called Comcast a couple weeks ago, they really really really really REALLY wanted me to buy the triple play, and when I said I only wanted TV and Internet, the lady had to go talk to her manager. She said the price that I was seeing online was for current customers only. I hung up because I was grumpy that day.

So many options... I'd miss watching White Collar on USA, that's one of my favorite shows, and I don't really see it online or streaming.
You may miss “White Collar” for long time:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...03#post9189203

Do you have a Playstation 3 or X-Box? You could use Vuze (Google it)

HDTiVo
Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
I would stay with DirecTV and wait until TiVo release their streaming box then we will know more about what TiVo’s plans are. Save your money for now and wait, I think TiVo planning on releasing a new TiVo box along with their streamers.
Just to be clear for the OP, the "streaming box" is a box that receives streams from a TiVo Premiere XL4 and possibly from the Internet.

I don't agree that TiVo will release a new TiVo with their streamers. TiVo wouldn't build a new box focused on retail at this point and if they were building a new box for cable companies they would have teased it at the last cable show.

Not entirely square

Last edited by nrc : 07-21-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: fix quoting
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
lpwcomp

Quote:
You may miss “White Collar” for long time:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...03#post9189203

Do you have a Playstation 3 or X-Box? You could use Vuze (Google it)
"White Collar" is on USA, which is owned by NBCUniversal Media, which is in turned owned by GE and Comcast. Viacom has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
Just to be clear for the OP, the "streaming box" is a box that receives streams from a TiVo Premiere XL4 and possibly from the Internet.

I don't agree that TiVo will release a new TiVo with their streamers. TiVo wouldn't build a new box focused on retail at this point and if they were building a new box for cable companies they would have teased it at the last cable show.
Why, then is TiVo unloading their Premiers box by cutting the price? I think something going happen very soon. It could be one of two things. A new box or an agreement with a major cable carrier to officer the TiVo service as an option or exclusively. Now if Cox would “live-up” to their agreement and office VOD to TiVo uses I buy an XL4 yesterday. I just feel that something is coming and not just their streamers.

HDTiVo
Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
"White Collar" is on USA, which is owned by NBCUniversal Media, which is in turned owned by GE and Comcast. Viacom has nothing to do with it.
Moot point an agreement has been made. All channels have been restored.

HDTiVo
Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Why, then is TiVo unloading their Premiers box by cutting the price?..........
Most likely reason is their strategy has always been to make money on subscriptions, not on hardware -- and Premier's they are "unloading" have higher subscription costs than previous models.

and
Old 07-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #19
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Most likely reason is their strategy has always been to make money on subscriptions, not on hardware -- and Premier's they are "unloading" have higher subscription costs than previous models.
What “models” are you referring to? As far as I am aware of two models of the Premier the “two tuner” and the “four tuner”. TiVo did change the names to XL2 and XL4, but I don’t think there were any design changes. Correct me if I am wrong.

HDTiVo
Old 07-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
lpwcomp

Quote:
What “models” are you referring to? As far as I am aware of two models of the Premier the “two tuner” and the “four tuner”. TiVo did change the names to XL2 and XL4, but I don’t think there were any design changes. Correct me if I am wrong.
The monthly subscription cost for any TiVo Series 4 (Premiere) is higher than previous models.

There are actually 4 models of the Premiere - Premiere, Premiere XL, Premiere Elite/XL4, and the "new" Premiere with a 500GB hard drive.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Why, then is TiVo unloading their Premiers box by cutting the price? I think something going happen very soon. It could be one of two things. A new box or an agreement with a major cable carrier to officer the TiVo service as an option or exclusively. Now if Cox would “live-up” to their agreement and office VOD to TiVo uses I buy an XL4 yesterday. I just feel that something is coming and not just their streamers.
Most of the current pricing is TiVo's usual fiddling with pricing and subscription rates to attract more subscriptions (ideally at a higher rate). The only pricing they have right now that really qualifies as "unloading" is the older 45 hour Premiere.

While some have speculated that an "XL6" might be in the works I don't see TiVo building that just for retail and in the MSO space they may prefer to back the 6 tuner Pace box. I'd love it if you were right, but TiVo has plenty of work to do and little pressing reason to offer a new DVR model for retail.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote