TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #31
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion The Imp View Post
There is like a 13 book series lol, but my co-worker has told me that the show shies away from it a lot.
I know how much sex, nudity, gore, and violence there is in the show, so I can't even imagine what there would be in the books to shy away from.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #32
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I know how much sex, nudity, gore, and violence there is in the show, so I can't even imagine what there would be in the books to shy away from.

Plot-wise
Tyrion The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #33
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

But there are comic books. Which are based on the TV show, not the original books.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #34
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

While I haven't read the books I've read that Lafayette is killed in the books so they are obviously not following the book plotlines 100%.
I guess if I read the books it would be a good thing because the HBO series can still surprise me in some ways.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #35
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

I used to like this show until it became a show about 'jokey one liners'. The comedy gets in the way of the horror/suspense aspect of the show (IMO).
TiVoXL4 - 2TB (1TB external)
Cablevision Raritan Valley, NJ
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #36
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Does Sookie know that? Because she seemed awfully scared when Bill moved to "glamour" her, until he shook his head...
I think she does, yes. I think there was at least one instance where a vampire tried to glamor Sookie before and it didn't work. I have a vague recollection of Sookie looking at the vampire, puzzled, wondering why she was being told to do something that she would not do.

I think she was scared because of the whole situation (her life was in danger from the Authority, after all) and also was upset by what Bill was saying.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #37
stellie93

I think the books are much better, but they are very different, so they don't really spoil each other. Not killing off Lafayette in the show was a good call. Giving Tara such a big role, not so much.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #38
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Jesus Loves You!
Ruby Jean FTW
Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #39
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Jesus Loves You!
Ruby Jean FTW

Even though you's an abomination!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #40
Tyrion The Imp
A Lannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I think the books are much better, but they are very different, so they don't really spoil each other. Not killing off Lafayette in the show was a good call. Giving Tara such a big role, not so much.

If they killed Tara at the expense of killing off Lafayette too though, I'd tell him to go ahead.

I hate Tara that bad
Tyrion The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #41
Crow159
Winter is Coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
OK - I may be showing my lack of knowledge here but

Isn't True Blood based on something like a comic book or a regular series of True Blood books and therefore aren't all the stories and sub-plots already pre-determined?

Or did I make that up?

I am enjoying the show but admit I am fast forwarding almost completely through the Iraq subplot and the smoke monster stuff.
The first four seasons of True Blood were roughly based on books 1 through 4.

The first season was fairly faithful to the book, although they did add some things like Jessica and Jason and Tara were minor characters in the book.

The second season had the same basic story as the book (Sookie helps Vamps find Godric, but changed several things (the whole Maryanne storyline was not in the book.)

The third season again had the basic story the same (Sookie and friends looking for a missing Bill), but changed some things (The whole Tara abduction by the vampire Franklin is not in the book.

The fourth season is where the series begins to move away from the books. Bill is not the King of Mississippi, Sookie is not missing for a year from being in the Fairy world, and the vampires and werewolves join forces against a witch group led by Hallow. Eric does lose his memory though and has a relationship with Sookie and Sookie does kill Debbie Pelt, though Tara has nothing to do with it.

So far this season has nothing to do with the 5th book.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #42
Agatha Mystery

This season is a complete departure but there are little bits taken from the books at this point. Sookie's cousin Haley is in the books (not sure if it is in the 5th book or not - there are some short stories and I haven't read all of them) - but in a very oblique way and not like this, as well as her son (also not like this).

We've now seen Claude (who, for some reason, I pictured completely differently), but there are some additional sisters that Claude mentioned that aren't in the books. A different sister died in the books at this point, but I just figured it was a name thing, and didn't worry about it.

This season DOES have something to do with the 5th book at this point. There are attacks on shifters in the book. There IS a competition for packmaster, but it is different from the book.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote