TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
cstelter

White Collar S04E01 "Wanted" OAD 7/10/2012

I watched seasons 1-3 via netflix a frew months back. I enjoyed reading through the threads on here as I watched. I noticed there were far fewer episode threads from season 3 so I'm not sure if interest is dropping or not but I figured I'd throw out a starter and see who is still watching. I recall the new season catching folks unawares so if you like White Colllar-- note, the new season has started!

While watching it, I was thinking that perhaps the Island 'boss' may turn out to be so corrupt that Peter, Mozzie, and Neal could just take him down and play that it was all a pre-planned very covert sting that had been in play since the end of last season. But then the episode took a different turn so I don't really have a strong feeling about how or when they'll resolve the Neal-on-the-run-somewhat-with-the-help-of-Peter thing they have going right now.

I could certainly understand the appeal of living on that island with vast wealth. Made saying good-bye to NYC at least less painful I would say.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching another season-- it's a lightweight amusing story with likable characters.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really didn't think Neil or Peter would be so sloppy to A) get traced so easily (Neal) or B) leave a bunch of evidence around to be found (Peter).

The whole thing seemed like really forced bad decisions.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
john4200

I was not impressed with this episode. The behaviors of the characters, especially Neal and Peter, made no sense. First, it was ridiculous that Peter thought it was so important to find Neal, just to "warn" him. It was even more absurd that Peter found him the way he did. Neal behaved like a complete fool by calling Peter back (or at least not hanging up once he found it was Peter on the line) and then not realizing that he just provided Peter and the FBI with clues to find him. And Peter was a fool not to realize that he was endangering Neal, not helping him. Then to top it off, only a complete moron would have gone to the island boss for help at the end, when Neal had a $500K price on his head.

The only interesting thing in the whole episode was that it got me wondering whether it is even remotely possible that the FBI would send someone to a foreign island with authorization to pay $500K for a US fugitive, living or dead. Is the FBI really that corrupt?

Last edited by john4200 : 07-16-2012 at 05:40 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I was not impressed with this episode. The behaviors of the characters, especially Neal and Peter, made no sense. First, it was ridiculous that Peter thought it was so important to find Neal, just to "warn" him. It was even more absurd that Peter found him the way he did. Neal behaved like a complete fool by calling Peter back (or at least not hanging up once he found it was Peter on the line) and then not realizing that he just provided Peter and the FBI with clues to find him. And Peter was a fool not to realize that he was endangering Neal, not helping him. Then to top it off, only a complete moron would have gone to the island boss for help at the end, when Neal had a $500K price on his head.

The only interesting thing in the whole episode was that it got me wondering whether it is even remotely possible that the FBI would send someone to a foreign island with authorization to pay $500K for a US fugitive, living or dead. Is the FBI really that corrupt?
Yeah-- good points. I guess the show wants us to think that Peter knew that this guy was *going* to find Neal dead or alive based on his experience. It's weak, but I can suspend my disbelief on that one.
(Personally, I want to know who thought Mekhi Phifer would make a good 'agent' of any kind-- did they not watch the Torchwood disaster??)

Possibly Neal *did* realize he provided the clues to Peter because he really does want to come home-- or he just let his guard down because he really cares so much for his life in New York he just wanted to live in the moment of the phone call.

Can't argue with the stupidity of going to see the boss with a 500K price on his head. I also find it hard to believe that Neal and Mozzie didn't have a very well thought-out exit strategey if they are ever unexpectantly found out.

The show has gotten out of some 'how are they going to explain *that*' moments quite cleverly in the past, but it seems maybe they will fail to get out of the last season cliffhanger quite so well.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
verdugan

Quote:
The behaviors of the characters, especially Neal and Peter, made no sense.
Neal sure forgot about Sarah in a hurry.

I hate the actor that played the FBI agent. I hated him as an FBI agent in 'Lie to Me' too.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post

I hate the actor that played the FBI agent. I hated him as an FBI agent in 'Lie to Me' too.
I hated him as the CIA agent in Torchwood too
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
john4200

Quote:
I cannot fairly criticize him on that, since I forgot about her, too. But now that you mention it, it does make him look bad to move on from her so quickly.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Yeah, he is a crap actor. No idea how he is still working after all these years.

Not a good premiere.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I hated him in E.R. a million years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
vertigo235

Sure he said he would pay $500K but he doesn't exactly seem to play by the rules.

There probably wasn't any $500k to give, just a lie...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
verdugan

Quote:
I cannot fairly criticize him on that, since I forgot about her, too. But now that you mention it, it does make him look bad to move on from her so quickly.
Well, you would think that it'd be harder for him to forget her than for you.

Last edited by verdugan : 07-17-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Another show I tend to suspend belief on. But I like the characters and the interplay between them. And I like the turn that the series took with Neal running and Peter trying to find him. But I agree, a lot of this seems WAY too sloppy for a master con man (actually TWO master con men) and a sharp FBI agent who knows the con men's moves. So I'm thinking there's a reason behind all this. Maybe it's to draw out those hunting for Neal and trap them somehow. As we are dealing with con men, I'm guessing there's a long con afoot.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
As we are dealing with con men, I'm guessing there's a long con afoot.
True, I don't think they ever resolved their suspicions of someone in the FBI being corrupt. But it was so long ago I don't remember the details.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

I wonder when Peter and Neal are getting married. "Oh, I must fly across the ocean and jeopardize my job to protect Neal! You understand, don't you Dear Wife? He is my true love."

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I wonder when Peter and Neal are getting married. "Oh, I must fly across the ocean and jeopardize my job to protect Neal! You understand, don't you Dear Wife? He is my true love."
Well I think Neal is Dear Wife's true love too
Old 07-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Well I think Neal is Dear Wife's true love too
Mine, too.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #17
Church AV Guy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Yeah, he is a crap actor. No idea how he is still working after all these years.

Not a good premiere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I hated him in E.R. a million years ago.
Okay, so does ANYBODY like him? I disliked him in Torchwood, Miracle Day, and never saw him in anything else before that, so I all set to give him a chance with a new character, but he is just as bad. I guess it's just him.

How long do you all expect this brief excursion to last before Peter gts him back to New York and working again?

Both Neil and Mozzie were going to go stir crazy on that island. TRhey need the rush. yeah, they have the $, but the exitement of their lives was gone.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

I looked it up. It's "Neal".

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak
Yup everyone misspells this.

Just catching up. Didn't realize the new season started. There has to be more going on as I cannot believe Neal to be that sloppy or have zero exit plan. I knew the island boss gave him up. That guy ALWAYS plays that character. Shady mofo. I absolutely loved Neal getting the kid his fruit money though. He might be a criminal but he's a good guy.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Yeah, okay. Sorry. I had a friend all through school who spelled it Neil. I'll try not to let it happen again, but a habit like that is a hard thing to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Yup everyone misspells this.

Just catching up. Didn't realize the new season started. There has to be more going on as I cannot believe Neal to be that sloppy or have zero exit plan. I knew the island boss gave him up. That guy ALWAYS plays that character. Shady mofo. I absolutely loved Neal getting the kid his fruit money though. He might be a criminal but he's a good guy.
Well, if you hadn't spent so much time on Supernatural, you might be more up on current events!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Minor nitpick, but he wasn't an FBI agent. They said he was with the Department of Justice, in the Office of International Affairs.

Agreed that it was very sloppy for Neal to place that call. I heard the bells chiming while they were talking and immediately thought of that scene in The Fugitive where they tracked him based on the background sounds during the call. But even more unbelieveable was the fact that the pager worked in the middle of nowhere like that.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Minor nitpick, but he wasn't an FBI agent. They said he was with the Department of Justice, in the Office of International Affairs.
Thanks, I missed that. The DOJ needs to provide some harsh justice to that agent.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Well, if you hadn't spent so much time on Supernatural, you might be more up on current events!
Truth. I regret nothing.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
aaronw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

Agreed that it was very sloppy for Neal to place that call. I heard the bells chiming while they were talking and immediately thought of that scene in The Fugitive where they tracked him based on the background sounds during the call. But even more unbelieveable was the fact that the pager worked in the middle of nowhere like that.
They actually do make satellite pagers that don't require a local cell network... this begs the other question of who was paying the bills on these the whole time, but that's another issue.
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote