TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
johnhefley

They Killed my TiVo!!!! Or did they?

OK, smarties. I need your help.

Bottom line: I want my TiVo back. And so does my wife. This story gets a little convoluted, so please be patient.

We had 2 Series 2 TiVos, both with lifetime service (one of them dual tuner) in our house.

With 4 TVs in our house, we had DISH AND Comcast providing service (2 TV's on Dish, 2 on Comcast. One TiVo was on a DISH receiver, one on a Comcast TV. Don't ask why, just stick with me.). This setup worked fine until....

Comcast's switch to all digital service, when they sent out the little digital converter boxes which did not work with TiVo.

One TiVo killed, one to go.

We kicked Comcast to the curb, and contacted DISH to set us up with 4 TV's ALL on Dish. The only way they could do this was to change out our satellite dish to an HD dish, and provide us with two VIP receivers which, you guessed it, don't work with TiVo.

Two TiVo's dead.

Quite unhappy with this situation, I elected to take up DISH's Hopper - the "be all, end all of DVR's", and possibly sell my TiVos.

The Hopper has some cool features, however, even my old TiVo's are far superior in many respects. And with DISH recently dumping AMC (and the best show on TV in my opinion, "Breaking Bad"), I'm really unhappy. No TiVo, crappy Hopper, and no "Breaking Bad" (or "Mad Men", either).

I basically want to go back in time, and restore my TiVo's to service. And I may have to go crawling back to Comcast for service on all of my TVs (not to mention AMC).

I've read that a Dual Tuner Series 2 Tivo will only work with a full set-top cable box, and that a Single Tuner Series 2 should work with the Comcast Digital Transport Adapter (DTA). I'll reiterate that I could NOT get my TiVo's to work with the Comcast DTA, and nobody at Comcast even knew what a TiVo was.... Idiots.

Please, please provide a suggestion for returning to TiVo happy land. It will entail a "clean slate" approach, I believe. And I'm fairly convinced that it will also require Comcast (or maybe DIRECTV?).

HELP!!!!

Frustrated,
jh
johnhefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

It looks like you will want a Premiere- perhaps several of them. If you can wait, there is a streaming device on the horizon and a device that looks like it will work as an extender for TVs remote to the DVR.

If I were in your shoes- and could afford the costs - I would get an XL4 and a regular premiere and wait for the streaming devices for the other two locations. Sell your lifetime S-2s to cover your costs (yes, they have some value).

Last edited by jrtroo : 07-17-2012 at 10:09 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
cannonz

What DTA did they give you? I would assume all are compatible with your tivos even the DT will be 1T at that point. Looks like most of them work with the direct plug to IR adapter too.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhefley View Post
Comcast's switch to all digital service, when they sent out the little digital converter boxes which did not work with TiVo.
Have to wonder why you didn't come here and ask about that at the time rather than just accepting that which is not true.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
johnhefley

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, this all took place around March of this year. I can't report which DTA Comcast provided (although a visit to their office would solve that). In any case, I could not make the DTA change channels with the TiVo. In fact, if memory serves, the ONLY way to make that device change channels was with YET ANOTHER remote!

Up to that point, Dish had certainly been satisfactory. Of course, adding the 3rd and 4th TV to my Dish subscription changed the complexion of the whole thing.

I'll await other responses/suggestions before doing anything rash (again).

Keep the suggestions coming!
jh
Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo
It looks like you will want a Premiere- perhaps several of them. If you can wait, there is a streaming device on the horizon and a device that looks like it will work as an extender for TVs remote to the DVR.

If I were in your shoes- and could afford the costs - I would get an XL4 and a regular premiere and wait for the streaming devices for the other two locations. Sell your lifetime S-2s to cover your costs (yes, they have some value).
Thats the best advice. 1 xl4 (4 tuner) and a regular premiere. While waiting for the other boxes (streamer or Stb), then I would probably sell the premiere.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhefley View Post
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, this all took place around March of this year. I can't report which DTA Comcast provided (although a visit to their office would solve that). In any case, I could not make the DTA change channels with the TiVo. In fact, if memory serves, the ONLY way to make that device change channels was with YET ANOTHER remote!

jh
What area are you in? Someone here could probably tell what code to use with the DTA.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
mattack

Tivo + cable card will solve your problems.

But IMHO, as big of a fan of Tivo as I am, if the DISH system had show downloading to a computer (which I have really only been using significantly for a year or two), I'd consider moving to it.. The primetime anytime is a killer feature.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
Worf

Yeah, my cable provider did that too - went all digital and rendered my TiVos useless.

I still keep them on because the TiVo has a way better scheduler so I just copy the todo list in the joke my cable company calls a "DVR".

If they only supported CableCARD (because we're in Canada and the CRTC basically makes each a monopoly (being owned by the telecommunications companies). You can't even move boxes around. Hell, most telecommunications companies own their share of TV stations as well - Comcast/NBC? Small potatoes. They own the entire TV from stations through distribution here.)
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
classicsat
Astute User

You haven't tried hard enough making the DTA work with the TiVo.
Mine woks fine with satellite, although it can be said it is a full box.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
xterrahokie

I've got a Series 1 and a single tuner Series 2 hooked up to Comcast DTA boxes (Thompson DCI105) that work just fine. Tivo has their own support page about how to get them to work with DTAs. Can't post the link because I'm brand new to forums-been a lurker for years.

They also make cables that directly connect the DTA to the Tivo so you don't need to use the IR blaster. I bought mine on Ebay. Google search "Comcast tivo to dta adapter cable" or something similar.

If you don't want to move up to new hardware and keep your existing boxes, that's what I would recommend.
xterrahokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
johnhefley

OK, Smarties! Thanks for your answers. I live in Vermont. And according to your replies, I should be able to connect the TiVo to the Comcast DTA without a blaster. It looks like my questions have been answered, or at least I've been given some very useful clues. Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterrahokie View Post
I've got a Series 1 and a single tuner Series 2 hooked up to Comcast DTA boxes (Thompson DCI105) that work just fine.
I've personally also gotten my former Series 1 and a Series 2 working just fine w/the Comcast DTAs pictured at http://picasaweb.google.com/virgegx/ComcastDTAUnboxing.

I was living in temporary housing for a bit and all they had were standard def CRT TVs and those 2 DTAs.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
johnhefley

That DTA is similar to the one I had. Very basic. The one I had didn't have rounded edges, but the guts are probably the same.